45 replies to this topic

#1 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

CBC sports shows the latest unsigned players.... Players the Canucks could look at for short term deals :

Jurcina
Arnott
Campoli
Kostopolous
Ellis
Commodore
Hecht
Benn (albeit restricted)
Kubina
Vandermeer

#2 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Arnott and Vandermeer would fill this teams needs the most.

The other players are pretty average, except for Benn, but you're not getting him out of Dallas.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#3 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Arnott and Vandermeer would fill this teams needs the most.

The other players are pretty average, except for Benn, but you're not getting him out of Dallas.

Awesome, let's forget about the one guy we actually could use.

Kristian Huselius.

Lapierre/Manny > Arnott (the guy is huge and old, slower than Hodgson)
Vandermeer? He'd just be a down-grade on Rome. (Forgetting about Joslin/Mullen, yeah they suck but Vandermeer ain't much better, just another wasted contract)

Huselius is someone we actually need for our top-6.

All depends on what we get from Toronto though.

Edited by Django, 07 January 2013 - 04:28 PM.

Posted Image

#4 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Kristian Huselius.

Vandermeer? He'd just be a down-grade on Rome. (Forgetting about Joslin/Mullen, yeah they suck but Vandermeer ain't much better, just another wasted contract)

Huselius is injured, and we already have enough wingers like him.

Arnott is 6'5" 220 pounds, and scored 17 goals last season. He's also a grizzled veteran leader. Something this team doesn't have, but needs.

Lappy/Manny >>> Arnott? No chance.

Vandermeer may be a downgrade over Rome, but he's an upgrade over Alberts. And unlike either of those guys, he can fight and clear the crease. Which again, is something this team needs.

Posted Image

#5 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,344 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'm not sure why everyone is jumping all over Arnott, there are some other options avaliable.

Hecht
Morrison
Langkow

Personally I would choose Langkow.

Also Huselius (If he is willing to come over and play, after all he did sign in the SEL and might want to stay there) Would be a solid pickup if we don't get anyone in return for Lu and no one grabs that 2W spot.

zackass.png

#6 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Arnott, Vandermeer and (if oooonly) Benn.
Benn, well we all know thats not happening. I'd love to see both Arnott and Vandermeer signed.
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#7 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'm not sure why everyone is jumping all over Arnott, there are some other options avaliable.

Hecht
Morrison
Langkow

Personally I would choose Langkow.

Also Huselius (If he is willing to come over and play, after all he did sign in the SEL and might want to stay there) Would be a solid pickup if we don't get anyone in return for Lu and no one grabs that 2W spot.

Cause he's a leader, has a stanley cup ring, and he doesn't get pushed around. Which are all things we're gonna need for the playoffs. Not to mention he's a centre, which we need more of.

He can also move up to the second line if we needed him to. Something I wouldn't be comfortable seeing any of those other players do. Love Morrison, but he's a little past his prime as a top 6 forward.

Posted Image

#8 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Kristian Huselius.

Malhotra > Arnott?? You're kidding me right? He might be 38 years old, but he can still play the game and not just take faceoffs.

Vandermeer will not be a regular on the Canucks if we do sign him, he's a depth defenceman to call up against rough teams. He is a downgrade on Rome but not by much, i'd put him ahead of Alberts on our depth chart.

We desperately need someone like him in the blueline to clear the crease, Bieksa cant play top 4 minutes and fight at the same time.

Vandermeer would be a good addition to our soft team...

#9 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Arnott is 6'5" 220 pounds, and scored 17 goals last season. He's also a grizzled veteran leader. Something this team doesn't have, but needs.

Vandermeer may be a downgrade over Rome, but he's an upgrade over Alberts. And unlike either of those guys, he can fight and clear the crease. Which again, is something this team needs.

Name one winger beside Daniel that can pass the puck like Huselius, exactly.

Sorry, but i don't trust Arnott at all against the 3C's on other teams. Too big, too slow. Arnott's stats are also inflated from playing with such a defensive sound team. He's way too big, i'd much rather have Lapierre as our 3c, y'know, someone who knows how to skate and has speed.

Posted Image

#10 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,428 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

People here would be fairly disappointed with how Arnott is playing these days. Because he's lost a step, his minutes need to be sheltered. You could put with with the twins, i suppose. But as far as replacing Kesler? Hahaha. No. But i don't think he's coming here, so it's moot.

If we're getting legit help at center, it would be through a trade, or from within.

When we don't get the help we need and the losses start piling up, oh boy, the we shouldn't have traded Coho talk will hit the bigtime. This is why the 'he was a cancer' angle will being shilled from day 1 this season.

Hopefully things will work out. Far more confident in Gillis with this scenario than i ever was with Tommi Santala's number one fan, Dave Nonuts Nonis.
Posted Image

#11 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Malhotra > Arnott?? You're kidding me right? He might be 38 years old, but he can still play the game and not just take faceoffs.

Vandermeer will not be a regular on the Canucks if we do sign him, he's a depth defenceman to call up against rough teams. He is a downgrade on Rome but not by much, i'd put him ahead of Alberts on our depth chart.

We desperately need someone like him in the blueline to clear the crease, Bieksa cant play top 4 minutes and fight at the same time.

Vandermeer would be a good addition to our soft team...

If Malhotra returns to his previous form, then yes of course he is better than Arnott. If Malhotra returns to form you can put him up against Toews/Kane and not be worried. Put Arnott up against Toews/Kane, instant GA.

Posted Image

#12 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

Name one winger beside Daniel that can pass the puck like Huselius, exactly.

Sorry, but i don't trust Arnott at all against the 3C's on other teams. Too big, too slow. Arnott's stats are also inflated from playing with such a defensive sound team. He's way too big, i'd much rather have Lapierre as our 3c, y'know, someone who knows how to skate and has speed.

Except we have a surplus of wingers already, we don't need anymore.

Daniel, Burrows, Higgins, Booth, Raymond, Hansen, Kassian.

And if we're talking about regular season, Huselius would be great. He would probably score quite a few points on this team. If we're talking playoffs, a softer, smaller, injury prone player like him will disappear.

We've tried the formula of having skilled wingers for the playoffs, it doesn't work. It's been proven time and time again that you need size and you need sandpaper to win in the playoffs. The game slows down in the playoffs, and the checking gets tighter and tighter as you move along.

Arnott may be slower, but if he's put with two faster players like Higgins, Raymond, or Hansen, his defensive game woukd not be an issue. He's got size and knows how to go to the net, which is a critical requirement for the playoffs. You think guys like Byflugien or Holmstrom are fast players? Not at all, but guess what? They both have cup rings.

He's also a leader, which this team has been lacking at times from anyone but the Sedins.

Edited by DeNiro, 07 January 2013 - 05:07 PM.

Posted Image

#13 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

And if we're talking about regular season, Huselius would be great. He would probably score quite a few points on this team. If we're talking playoffs, a softer, smaller, injury prone player like him will disappear.

We've tried the formula of having skilled wingers for the playoffs, it doesn't work. It's been proven time and time again that you need size and you need sandpaper to win in the playoffs. The game slows down in the playoffs, and the checking gets tighter and tighter as you move along.

Arnott may be slower, but if he's put with two faster players like Higgins, Raymond, or Hansen, his defensive game woukd not be an issue. He's got size and knows how to go to the net, which is a critical requirement for the playoffs. He's also a leader, which this team has been lacking at times from anyone but the Sedins.

The only year in which size won the cup was last year. And ever then not really, Brown was the only "big" physical guy that threw out hits. For Boston, it was mostly their defense, Lucic, and their entire 4th line. (And Marchand, but not really cause he's just dirty).

Hawks, Penguins, Wings all won the cup with skilled wingers. Not big bodies. (Chicago had Byfuglien, that's it).

And if you're talking about leadership, then i honestly don't know where you're coming from.

Malhotra, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Luongo, Kesler.. All leaders. If that list ain't big enough, then well that's just kinda silly.

Edited by Django, 07 January 2013 - 05:07 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,344 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Actually Huselius isn't injured unless he got injured with AIK (Which I haven't heard about)

I would honestly take Lappy over Arnott, Arnott isn't the 30 or even 20 goal scorer he once was, he is a 30 point player at best who is in decline and lacks the speed to play in our system (In my opinion), Lappierre had 19 Points last year, so assuming Arnott gets 30-35 which is likely it isn't that far off, and Lappierre is faster and alot more gritty.

And Huseliues is an upgrade on our players IMO, he is better than Raymond and Hansen, has better offensive skill than Higgins.

zackass.png

#15 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Arnott may be slower, but if he's put with two faster players like Higgins, Raymond, or Hansen, his defensive game woukd not be an issue. He's got size and knows how to go to the net, which is a critical requirement for the playoffs. You think guys like Byflugien or Holmstrom are fast players? Not at all, but guess what? They both have cup rings.

He's also a leader, which this team has been lacking at times from anyone but the Sedins.

lol

Byfuglien played with Toews and Kane. Two of the best NHL players in the game. Holmstrom played with Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the powerplay.

Arnott will not be getting any time with the Sedins. Unless he's going to stand infront of the net, which is ridiculous.

Posted Image

#16 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

If Malhotra returns to his previous form, then yes of course he is better than Arnott. If Malhotra returns to form you can put him up against Toews/Kane and not be worried. Put Arnott up against Toews/Kane, instant GA.

Well, he got a full season to return to his previous form (which was??) and looked worse than ever.

Put him against Toews and Kane against faceoff right? because the only thing Malhotra shutsdown is his wingers.

#17 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Well, he got a full season to return to his previous form (which was??) and looked worse than ever.

Put him against Toews and Kane against faceoff right? because the only thing Malhotra shutsdown is his wingers.

He spent that whole summer not training and recovering/having surgeries on his eye. Kesler didn't train in the off-season either, and look how terrible he was last year.

Malhotra has been reported to be working as hard as ever, on ice and off. He's one of the best defensive centers in the game.

Posted Image

#18 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

The only year in which size won the cup was last year. And ever then not really, Brown was the only "big" physical guy that threw out hits. For Boston, it was mostly their defense, Lucic, and their entire 4th line. (And Marchand, but not really cause he's just dirty).

Hawks, Penguins, Wings all won the cup with skilled wingers. Not big bodies. (Chicago had Byfuglien, that's it).

And if you're talking about leadership, then i honestly don't know where you're coming from.

Malhotra, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Luongo, Kesler.. All leaders. If that list ain't big enough, then well that's just kinda silly.

Size doesn't win cups huh? You're kidding right?

So Kopitar, Carter, Penner, Greene, and Mitchell had no impact on the Kings cup win?

Horton, Lucic, Thorton, Chara, Boychuk, McQuaid, had no impact?

Toews, Seabrook, Ladd, Byflugien, Hjalmarsson, nothing?

I won't even go into the Ducks, because that's just obvious. All you have to do is look at Pronger, Perry, and Getzlaf to know that they won with size and toughness.

If you don't think you need size in the playoffs, I don't know which playoffs you've been watching. I guess Gillis trading Hodgson for Kassian didn't mean anything, right? He knows we need size, I'm surprised everyone doesn't know that.

Luongo is likely gone, Malhotra may never be the same player again, and Kesler has stepped up at times, but other times he has completely disappeared. And I'm not just talking about leadership on the ice, I'm talking about leadership off the ice. Arnott has a proven track record of being a leader, and has a cup ring to go along with it.

Anyone would be crazy to not want a player like him in the playoffs. Especially as a depth player on a cheap contract.

Posted Image

#19 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

lol

Byfuglien played with Toews and Kane. Two of the best NHL players in the game. Holmstrom played with Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the powerplay.

Arnott will not be getting any time with the Sedins. Unless he's going to stand infront of the net, which is ridiculous.

Didn't Arnott generate a lot of PP points last season? He'd be a good pick for the PP
Posted ImagePosted Image
---------------------------------------------------

#20 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Size doesn't win cups huh? You're kidding right?

So Kopitar, Carter, Penner, Greene, and Mitchell had no impact on the Kings cup win?

Horton, Lucic, Thorton, Chara, Boychuk, McQuaid, had no impact?

Toews, Seabrook, Ladd, Byflugien, Hjalmarsson, nothing?

I won't even go into the Ducks, because that's just obvious. All you have to do is look at Pronger, Perry, and Getzlaf to know that they won with size and toughness.

If you don't think you need size in the playoffs, I don't know which playoffs you've been watching. I guess Gillis trading Hodgson for Kassian didn't mean anything, right? He knows we need size, I'm surprised everyone doesn't know that.

Luongo is likely gone, Malhotra may never be the same player again, and Kesler has stepped up at times, but other times he has completely disappeared. And I'm not just talking about leadership on the ice, I'm talking about leadership off the ice. Arnott has a proven track record of being a leader, and has a cup ring to go along with it.

Anyone would be crazy to not want a player like him in the playoffs. Especially as a depth player on a cheap contract.

Every player i highlighted is either a superstar, knows how to skate, or is under 30.\

Oh yeah, and every forward you just mentioned are also 1st line caliber players, except Thorton.

Edited by Django, 07 January 2013 - 05:29 PM.

Posted Image

#21 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Didn't Arnott generate a lot of PP points last season? He'd be a good pick for the PP

Not gonna get many minutes on that 2nd PP unit, and he has no spot on the first.

He plays half-wall/point. You're not putting him on the point, and he's not taking Henrik/Daniel's spot.

Edited by Django, 07 January 2013 - 05:31 PM.

Posted Image

#22 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Not gonna get many minutes on that 2nd PP unit, and he has no spot on the first.

He plays half-wall/point. You're not putting him on the point, and he's not taking Henrik/Daniel's spot.

With Kesler out, he does have a spot on the 1st, if he can play to the Sedins game. If not, he'd still be useful on the 2nd PP, considering that it hasn't done much. We actually need someone to improve it, and he could be an affordable person that can.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Actually Huselius isn't injured unless he got injured with AIK (Which I haven't heard about)

I would honestly take Lappy over Arnott, Arnott isn't the 30 or even 20 goal scorer he once was, he is a 30 point player at best who is in decline and lacks the speed to play in our system (In my opinion), Lappierre had 19 Points last year, so assuming Arnott gets 30-35 which is likely it isn't that far off, and Lappierre is faster and alot more gritty.

And Huseliues is an upgrade on our players IMO, he is better than Raymond and Hansen, has better offensive skill than Higgins.

Huselius got injured with AIK, which is why Jensen was playing on the top line. Not sure how serious his injury is, only that he has a history of injuries.

The question is not whether Husleius is a good player, he is. The question is do we need more wingers. Right now our number 1 priority is depth at center and defense. There's no guarantees that Malhotra or Lapierre will be effective as 2nd or third line centers.

Arnott scored 17 goals on a low scoring Blues team. That's pretty impressive. His numbers would only be higher on a high scoring team like the Canucks. The guy can still play.

And like I've said time and time again, you need veteran players to win a cup.

Edited by DeNiro, 07 January 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Posted Image

#24 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

With Kesler out, he does have a spot on the 1st, if he can play to the Sedins game. If not, he'd still be useful on the 2nd PP, considering that it hasn't done much. We actually need someone to improve it, and he could be an affordable person that can.

Perhaps, but Kesler's ready to go and i really don't want to waste cap space and a roster spot for someone who will only be visible on the 2nd PP unit that gets like 20 seconds or less of ice-time per powerplay

Posted Image

#25 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Every player i highlighted is either a superstar, knows how to skate, or is under 30.\

Oh yeah, and every forward you just mentioned are also 1st line caliber players, except Thorton.

Ladd, Byflugien, and Penner are 1st line calibre players? Could have fooled me.

Size takes over in the playoffs, whether you want to admit it or not. The bigger body players do more damage than smaller guys. And therefore bigger teams wear down other teams much quicker.

Teams like LA and Boston had star players who were also big and strong. If you have smaller skilled players up front like the Canucks, you need bigger role players to support them.

Edited by DeNiro, 07 January 2013 - 05:44 PM.

Posted Image

#26 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

He spent that whole summer not training and recovering/having surgeries on his eye. Kesler didn't train in the off-season either, and look how terrible he was last year.

Malhotra has been reported to be working as hard as ever, on ice and off. He's one of the best defensive centers in the game.

Hopefully the on ice workout included more than just faceoffs and dump ins..

He was a good defensive centre and an excellent faceoff 'specialist' prior to the injury, but i wouldnt put him in the category of "best defensive centers in the game"...

#27 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Ladd, Byflugien, and Penner are 1st line calibre players? Could have fooled me.

Size takes over in the playoffs, whether you want to admit it or not. The bigger body players do more damage than smaller guys. And therefore bigger teams wear down other teams much quicker.

Teams like LA and Boston had star players who were also big and strong. If you have smaller skilled players up front like the Canucks, you need bigger role players to support them.

Ladd plays on the first line and is captain of the Winnipeg Jets. LOL

Byfuglien is now a defenseman, but was a dominant 1st line RW. Penner is a huge reason the Kings won the cup too.

It's not just about big bodies, it's having big bodies THAT CAN PLAY. Arnott can no longer play at an effective level, especially with out fast breakout system.

Edited by Django, 07 January 2013 - 05:46 PM.

Posted Image

#28 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Perhaps, but Kesler's ready to go and i really don't want to waste cap space and a roster spot for someone who will only be visible on the 2nd PP unit that gets like 20 seconds or less of ice-time per powerplay

Malhotra = 2.5m faceoff specialist.

If Malhotra sees top 6 minutes on our team, you know our depth sucks.

#29 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Ladd plays on the first line and is captain of the Winnipeg Jets. LOL

Byfuglien is now a defenseman, but was a dominant 1st line RW. Penner is a huge reason the Kings won the cup too.

It's not just about big bodies, it's having big bodies THAT CAN PLAY. Arnott can no longer play at an effective level, especially with out fast breakout system.

Ladd wasn't a first line player at the time...And on most teams he wouldn't be even now.

So now Byflugien was a dominant right winger? I thought you said it was just because he played with Toews and Kane?

Arnott can't play, yet he scored 17 goals. Hmm, not sure how that would happen. Maybe you should actually do some research on him, instead of just trying to prove your point based on what you believe to be true.

Arnott playing on the third or fourth line, with powerplay minutes in a shortened season would give us great depth. If Kesler were to get injured agian in the playoffs, who would you want to center the second line? Lapierre, Schroeder, or Arnott? I don't know how any intelligent hockey fan wouldn't choose Arnott out of those 3.

Edited by DeNiro, 07 January 2013 - 06:05 PM.

Posted Image

#30 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Where'd you hear this? Last I heard was he's out for months...
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.