#31 Silfverberg Snipes

Silfverberg Snipes

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

I'm interested in your sig.

How do you have Raymond over Hansen and how do you have us getting Weber?

I think I made it last year when I was fantasizing about Weber becoming a UFA and never really got around to changing it. As for the third line wing situation I always had a thing for Raymond despite all the flack he gets on these boards. But if you'd ask me about it now there's no doubt in my mind I would take Hansen over Raymond.

EDIT: I guess I'll go change it now. :unsure:

Edited by The Apathetic Fan, 07 January 2013 - 07:38 PM.

Sig too big. 

#32 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

He will be better than last year, due to more training time and adapting to eye condition. I would love to see him get to where he was, but not holding my breath. He will be a very good 4C. Good luck Manny!

Agree to what Higgy says.

My expectations/hopes for Manny will be that he'll be much better than he was in 2011-2012 due to top level conditioning and adapting to play with his bad eye. I am assuming that there was permanent damage done to his eye, so I doubt he will get to the level he was pre-injury.

#33 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,358 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

He has to beat out Lapierre, but if he plays well, he could be our 2nd liner while Kess is out, then 3rd liner.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#34 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

I think I made it last year when I was fantasizing about Weber becoming a UFA and never really got around to changing it. As for the third line wing situation I always had a thing for Raymond despite all the flack he gets on these boards. But if you'd ask me about it now there's no doubt in my mind I would take Hansen over Raymond.

EDIT: I guess I'll go change it now. :unsure:

Oh :P

You don't have to I was just curious.

Maybe make a new one for next offseason?

zackass.png

#35 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stupidest Comment I have seen all day.

Just log on? :bigblush:

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#36 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

According to capgeek Manny is the fifth highest paid forward on the team.

Surely, the .org needs more than defensive end faceoffs from him to take the 2.5 hit.

I hope he has recovered enough to have a meaningful year.

#37 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

According to capgeek Manny is the fifth highest paid forward on the team.

Surely, the .org needs more than defensive end faceoffs from him to take the 2.5 hit.

I hope he has recovered enough to have a meaningful year.

He has to have a meaningful year. It's do or die of ol' Manny.

#38 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

can't tell if being literal, or just from UK..

Not from the UK. But I do enjoy British humour.

Does that count?

#39 nucks_rule1

nucks_rule1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

hoping for him to have a great comeback, do not think he is a second line centre
Posted Image
my thread!

100th post on September 9th 2008
1000th post on june 24th 2010

THANK YOU MIKE GILLIS FOR GREATEST OFF SEASON EVER!

HANK= H(ART ROSS)

#40 Radaloo

Radaloo

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Seriously folks????

I think Manny is a great person and I wish him all the best. The fact that he made it back at all from a serious eye injury is a tribute to his ability and hunger.

But last year he was nowhere near the player he was in his first year here, and it wasn't about conditioning. He can't see well out of his injured eye. The difference between an NHL player, and an AHL player is very little. Sometimes it's just a teams needs. But just being a good face-off man won't keep him in this league. It's too bad we can't buy him out this year.

Love the guy, but if he plays this year, it's probably his last.

#41 Rick Rypien

Rick Rypien

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Manny was pretty bad last year, apart from winning draws, obviously to be expected when coming back from an injury like he did. I think if he hadn't gotten hurt and had been at 100% along with Hamhuis, we probably would've beat Boston but oh well. If he can return to his 2010-2011 form then we'll be loaded down the middle when Kesler returns.
Posted Image

#42 spentral

spentral

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

hope he has a strong year but i dont see him getting over 4th line duties, would be a nice feel good story though

#43 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

The people's champ! A modern day Ryan Walters. Kind of useless in a lot of capacities, but a gosh-darn nice guy, and can centre a fourth line like nobody's business!
"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#44 joecanada777

joecanada777

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

Hows his vision ? Have there been any reports?

QUOTE(queen_canuck_fan)
cuz when I saw you outside in the bushes, by length I would have guessed 11...

QUOTE(Whiskey7 @ Apr 19 2007, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is done in almost every sport, in every league, for a great player who has an "oooooo" sound in his name. I'm always a bit surprised when people don't pick up on it, and announcers on TV have to clarify for those at home.

#45 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:16 AM

"He can't see well out of his injured eye."
This kind of statement makes me sick. If you have any proof of it, then post it. If not then keep your fallacious "medical opinions" to yourself or at least add "imo"
I already have one warning so I'll leave it at that.
Kevin.jpg

#46 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:28 AM

And then what do we do with that 2C when Kesler comes back? Lapierre/Malhotra are quite a bit better than CDC and the rest of the hockey world seems to think.

Again you're all just assuming Kesler will be good enough for the 2C position when healthy.Myself I'd rather wait and see him prove he's good enough for the position.Also I would hope Gillis is on the ball and moves him to the 3rd line if he dosen't cut it.

#47 MattJVD

MattJVD

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

Again you're all just assuming Kesler will be good enough for the 2C position when healthy.Myself I'd rather wait and see him prove he's good enough for the position.Also I would hope Gillis is on the ball and moves him to the 3rd line if he dosen't cut it.

I think assuming Kesler will be good enough for the 2C spot (when healthy) is pretty safe. Two 70+ point seasons and a Selke Trophy win from 09 to 11. Then 49 points, while playing great in his own zone in an injury riddled season last year. With that history and knowing his compete level, I can't think of a better 2C in the system or available through trade. Also I don't think MG would be the one who moves him down to the third line, I'm not saying I know what AV and MG's relationship is like, but I am fairly certain that is a coach's decision not a GM's.

Edited by MattJVD, 08 January 2013 - 04:55 AM.

#48 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:23 AM

I think assuming Kesler will be good enough for the 2C spot (when healthy) is pretty safe. Two 70+ point seasons and a Selke Trophy win from 09 to 11. Then 49 points, while playing great in his own zone in an injury riddled season last year. With that history and knowing his compete level, I can't think of a better 2C in the system or available through trade. Also I don't think MG would be the one who moves him down to the third line, I'm not saying I know what AV and MG's relationship is like, but I am fairly certain that is a coach's decision not a GM's.

Statistics look good but his play was downright pathetic at times last 2 seasons.Also AV or MG made reference to the fact injuries would not be used as an excuse last season.I believe that was made in reference to Kesler

#49 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

Statistics look good but his play was downright pathetic at times last 2 seasons.Also AV or MG made reference to the fact injuries would not be used as an excuse last season.I believe that was made in reference to Kesler

#50 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

Statistics look good but his play was downright pathetic at times last 2 seasons.Also AV or MG made reference to the fact injuries would not be used as an excuse last season.I believe that was made in reference to Kesler.It was also said prior to knowing the extent of his injuries which only really surfaced at seasons end.

#51 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,798 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:51 AM

We would be in serious trouble if Manny is our 2knd line center : Career highs of 14 goals and 35 points.

We also wanna see see goals this season yunno?

Watching Manny in the CDC vid of the players reactions to the shortened season, it struck me that this could be the season for him to make a major comeback.

He looked comfortable on the soccer field in the summer and he looks lean and ready to go in the interview.

Anyone else think he could still be our 2nd line centre? I would love to see him really break out with all guns firing. I still think his diving goal last season was in the top 3 goals scored by the Canucks.

#52 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

If Manny is our second line center we're in trouble.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#53 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

We would be in serious trouble if Manny is our 2knd line center : Career highs of 14 goals and 35 points.

We also wanna see see goals this season yunno?

Be fair surfer he also scored 31 points in 58 games in 2005-6 after coming back from injury, thats a 44pt season. I'm not saying he has got to be on our 2nd line I am just saying it would be great if he filled in for Kes and really smoked it.

Take a look at Higgins, Lapierre, Booth or Hansen's point totals before you condemn him out of hand...........I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised especially in a career dogged by injury.
Kevin.jpg

#54 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

If Manny is our second line center we're in trouble.

Why do you say that? Have you looked at the alternatives?

Schroeder............yeh right.
Higgins.........close but I think Manny has it on consistent points scoring despite injuries.
Lapierre ..........sorry, not even close.
Ebbett...........nope, although he would be my alternative.
Booth.........decent points return when fit but too poor defensively and no centre.
Hansen...........no centre but doesn't match Manny anyway.
Raymond.........decent consistent points but a bit lightweight for centre.

Believe it or not Manny's consistent points scoring from the 3rd line is pretty good. That might even improve on the 2nd and allied to his faceoff prowess what's not to like? As I've shown above we could do worse.

Edited by Bodee, 08 January 2013 - 08:57 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#55 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,998 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

I still think to be on the safe side sign Arnott, and give Gilbert Brule a tryout at camp.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#56 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

I still think to be on the safe side sign Arnott, and give Gilbert Brule a tryout at camp.

I totally agree. But we run the risk of having far too many centres when everyone is fit and still Schroeder will not have been blooded.

I like Arnott and I like that he can move down to 3rd when Kes comes back but we would have to part with either Schroeder, Manny, Higgins or Lapierre if we acquired him.
Kevin.jpg

#57 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

I really hope that Malhotra is back as an amazing 3rd line centre.

My guess for our centres (in order) at the start of the season barring signing Arnott (which we should do if it is cheap and 1yr) are:

Sedin
Lapierre
Malhotra
Ebbett
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#58 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Not very optimistic about him, but hopeful. We need everyone at their best.

#59 RBCanucks

RBCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

From everything I've read Manny is in the best shape of his life and is ready to go. I don't think we'll see him on the 2nd line but I think he will rip it up on the 3rd in the same way he did back in the 2010-2011 season.

I don't know about anyone else but I kind of like the idea of signing Darche and having him playing Manny and Hansen on the 3rd line. It adds some grit (and a good penalty killer with PP experience) and allows Higgins to move back up to the 2nd line while Kesler is injured. Obviously not a long-term solution given his age but for the next season or so I think it's worth a shot, he's pretty cheap (700,000 cap hit in Montreal) and he was a great 3rd line guy for Montreal, one of the harder teams to play against.

Edited by rbcanucks87, 08 January 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#60 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

I totally agree. But we run the risk of having far too many centres when everyone is fit and still Schroeder will not have been blooded.

I like Arnott and I like that he can move down to 3rd when Kes comes back but we would have to part with either Schroeder, Manny, Higgins or Lapierre if we acquired him.

Not sure why we would have to part with any of the players you've mentioned Bodee. Presuming Arnott is signed at a reasonable rate (i.e., $1.5MM to $2.0MM for one year), we could carry 14 forwards within the cap, especially with the relief we would get while Kesler is out. I could see Manny, Max, Higgins, along with Arnott on the roster with Kesler back; Schroeder being shipped back to the Wolves and having Wiese or Volpatti drop to 13th forward, with Ebbett being number 14.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Schroeder is ready for prime time, though I would have to agree that he needs to be given a chance. Unfortunately, with the shortened schedule, I don't see that chance coming this season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.