The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don Cherry tweets about the millions in Canadian aid to Haiti: 'Are we nuts?'

dudeone

Don Cherry tweets about the millions in Canadian aid to Haiti: 'Are we nuts?'

By The Canadian Press | Associated Press – 4 hrs ago

http://news.yahoo.com/don-cherry-tweets-millions-canadian-aid-haiti-nuts-212151650--spt.html

MONTREAL - Don Cherry is taking to Twitter to air his objections over the millions in aid money that Canada sends to Haiti.

Tweets posted today on the outspoken hockey commentator's Twitter feed questioned why Ottawa has sent tens of millions of dollars in aid to the earthquake-battered Caribbean nation.

Cherry says he doesn't mind helping other countries — but he wonders why Ottawa would send so much cash to Haiti when people are waiting for up to 10 hours in Canadian hospital waiting rooms.

The controversial star of Hockey Night in Canada was particularly blunt in one tweet: "Are we nuts?"

Cherry's remarks come days after Canada's international co-operation minister told a newspaper that his department will stop funding new aid projects in Haiti until it finds a more effective approach to help the country.

Julian Fantino told Montreal's La Presse he's disappointed about the lack of progress in post-earthquake reconstruction.

He says Ottawa will continue to fund development projects already underway in Haiti.

Cherry says he's pleased Canadians have a good guy with common sense like Fantino in charge.

The broadcaster's tweets come five days before the third anniversary of a massive quake in Haiti that killed an estimated 300,000 people and left more than 1.5 million homeless.

There is a point to be made - not so much on the hospital waiting rooms part, but that there's millions being thrown at Haiti's way, and still so many are living in poorer conditions than pre-earthquake. Where has all this money gone?

While I agree that we need to find the optimal way to help in Haiti, using the emergency room waiting times as a reason to not do it is stupid IMO.

If you are having a heart attack, you get in the emergency room right away. If you have a sore elbow, yeah, you're going to be waiting.

Emergency rooms are expensive - it's money well spent to save lives in emergency situations, but funding them further to process non-emergency cases isn't a smart use of money either.

That a country that's 99% reliant on the United States for its national defense is helping other countries when they are in dire need of help?

People spend so much time in waiting rooms because they go to the hospital for stupid things. Every time I go, it's an emergency and I usually get in very quickly. If you go in with a fever and the sniffles, prepare to wait a while.

I have always thought we should send lumber and construction workers to Haiti and build them earthquake/hurricane resistant structures .. use our money to create jobs here, and there, and get some return in income tax returns .. rather than blindly sending "cash" .. I am sure the corruption there siphons off the majority of our donations ..

Canada froze aid to Haiti demanding faster progress, so this notion that we "keep throwing millions" is false.

We're not a self-reliant country. No country in the world is except maybe Russia. If we expect to get help when we need it, such as a major earthquake, we need to give it when other countries need it.

Archived