The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Cam Barker with Canucks?

Avicii

Cam Barker has played 296 games in the NHL getting 94 points, or in other words 3.6 full seasons averaging 26 points per year ( assuming he played a full year which he never really has). He also scored 21 goals, for an average of just under 6 goals per season.

Averaging 6 goals and 26 points per season is a hell of a lot better than some defensemen in the NHL, I would say he would be a decent 7th d-man. The question of course is if he has the motivation and self control (alcohol abuse) to turn his career around.

Definitely a gamble.

He was a super high pick...I'd be actually pretty happy if this were true.

Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. A city's atmosphere and a team that will accept you can do a lot for a player's confidence in the NHL. He's a big-bodied defenceman who could re-kindle his career and has no down-side since it's just a tryout.

I'd rather a big, physical defenceman like Alberts and Rome than someone like Barker. That being said we desperately need a veteran presence on our blueline after we lost all of our greybeards in Ohlund and Salo. Suddenly a very young defence without years of experience that we need. With Salo in our lineup, our more panicky guys like Edler, Ballard and Bieksa were instantly calmed. I don't want to see how badly they play all season without a veteran defender.

A try out can't hurt but I'm baffled how Barker would get an opportunity ahead of Vandermeer.

Barker has huge potential but he has never put it together for more than a few games at a time. Not what the Canucks need in a 48-50 game sched.

I believe a known commodity like Vandermeer, Brett Clark or Colin White is a fair better option.

I'd rather a big, physical defenceman like Alberts and Rome than someone like Barker. That being said we desperately need a veteran presence on our blueline after we lost all of our greybeards in Ohlund and Salo. Suddenly a very young defence without years of experience that we need. With Salo in our lineup, our more panicky guys like Edler, Ballard and Bieksa were instantly calmed. I don't want to see how badly they play all season without a veteran defender.

As Millerdraft says this guy likes his booze almost as much as I do. However, he has great talent and was a terrific junior player. This guy can put up points and play tough defence if he can keep focused. Vancouver is an excellent place for any player to do that, moreso than probably pretty much any place. If you make the team in Van you will be watched closely and be a contributing member to the locker room. Perhaps the Canucks family orientated no-nonsense approach is exactly what this kid needs to turn his life and career around.

He was a super high pick...I'd be actually pretty happy if this were true.

Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. A city's atmosphere and a team that will accept you can do a lot for a player's confidence in the NHL. He's a big-bodied defenceman who could re-kindle his career and has no down-side since it's just a tryout.

To be honest, everyone is saying that Barker is a bust and terrible and all that, I don't think it would be a bad move to offer him a two-way contract, you know, just in case.

I know some of you think Edler and the like are 'veterans' now, but do you not remember Edler in the last playoff run? Probably the worst defensive performance for the Canucks organization this side of Sopel, and without question the worst "major" player in the NHL playoffs. Canucks defense is good on paper, but just doesn't hold up in 'crunch time' -- of course that may be different now with a short season.

There's WAY too much inconsistency with our defense, so if Barker could be had on the cheap, two-way short term deal, I don't see why how it isn't a low risk, high reward deal.

I think if you look at players who were struggling who got traded or were brought to the Canucks you actually find the opposite is mostly true. Ballard and Booth, for example. They got crushed under the weight of expectations mostly by a rabid and often irrational fan base who turned on them in 2 seconds. Can you imagine what the expectations will be for a former 3rd overall pick here? Not to mention having his confidence crushed by AV who will not tolerate any player having confidence issues. He just benches them, pure and simple.

Archived