126 replies to this topic

#31 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,870 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

I'd rather a big, physical defenceman like Alberts and Rome than someone like Barker. That being said we desperately need a veteran presence on our blueline after we lost all of our greybeards in Ohlund and Salo. Suddenly a very young defence without years of experience that we need. With Salo in our lineup, our more panicky guys like Edler, Ballard and Bieksa were instantly calmed. I don't want to see how badly they play all season without a veteran defender.
Posted Image

#32 Dynamic Innovator

Dynamic Innovator

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

A try out can't hurt but I'm baffled how Barker would get an opportunity ahead of Vandermeer.

Barker has huge potential but he has never put it together for more than a few games at a time. Not what the Canucks need in a 48-50 game sched.

I believe a known commodity like Vandermeer, Brett Clark or Colin White is a fair better option.

#33 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

I'd rather a big, physical defenceman like Alberts and Rome than someone like Barker. That being said we desperately need a veteran presence on our blueline after we lost all of our greybeards in Ohlund and Salo. Suddenly a very young defence without years of experience that we need. With Salo in our lineup, our more panicky guys like Edler, Ballard and Bieksa were instantly calmed. I don't want to see how badly they play all season without a veteran defender.

Edler, Ballard, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Tanev have all played in the SCF.

Is that not Veteran Experience? I honestly don't think 1 more win would give them more experience than they already have. They know what it takes to win.

Posted Image

#34 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Barker is just terrible. OILERS FANS say he's the worst defensemen they've had since 2006. OILERS FANS!

Edited by n00bxQb, 08 January 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#35 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,424 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Good for Cam in managing to nab another opportunity. Most have written him off completely. On account that he's a bust.
Posted Image

#36 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,772 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

As Millerdraft says this guy likes his booze almost as much as I do. However, he has great talent and was a terrific junior player. This guy can put up points and play tough defence if he can keep focused. Vancouver is an excellent place for any player to do that, moreso than probably pretty much any place. If you make the team in Van you will be watched closely and be a contributing member to the locker room. Perhaps the Canucks family orientated no-nonsense approach is exactly what this kid needs to turn his life and career around.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#37 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,921 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

He was a super high pick...I'd be actually pretty happy if this were true.

Maybe he just needs a change of scenery. A city's atmosphere and a team that will accept you can do a lot for a player's confidence in the NHL. He's a big-bodied defenceman who could re-kindle his career and has no down-side since it's just a tryout.

I think if you look at players who were struggling who got traded or were brought to the Canucks you actually find the opposite is mostly true. Ballard and Booth, for example. They got crushed under the weight of expectations mostly by a rabid and often irrational fan base who turned on them in 2 seconds. Can you imagine what the expectations will be for a former 3rd overall pick here? Not to mention having his confidence crushed by AV who will not tolerate any player having confidence issues. He just benches them, pure and simple.

#38 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,644 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

To be honest, everyone is saying that Barker is a bust and terrible and all that, I don't think it would be a bad move to offer him a two-way contract, you know, just in case.

I know some of you think Edler and the like are 'veterans' now, but do you not remember Edler in the last playoff run? Probably the worst defensive performance for the Canucks organization this side of Sopel, and without question the worst "major" player in the NHL playoffs. Canucks defense is good on paper, but just doesn't hold up in 'crunch time' -- of course that may be different now with a short season.

There's WAY too much inconsistency with our defense, so if Barker could be had on the cheap, two-way short term deal, I don't see why how it isn't a low risk, high reward deal.
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#39 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

another project that can pay off, why not.
Our D's must make opponent fowards going to the net PAY THE PRICE

#40 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

I think if you look at players who were struggling who got traded or were brought to the Canucks you actually find the opposite is mostly true. Ballard and Booth, for example. They got crushed under the weight of expectations mostly by a rabid and often irrational fan base who turned on them in 2 seconds. Can you imagine what the expectations will be for a former 3rd overall pick here? Not to mention having his confidence crushed by AV who will not tolerate any player having confidence issues. He just benches them, pure and simple.

Difference in this case is that the expectations for Barker is pretty low. I don't think anyone here expects a guy with on and off ice problems over the past few seasons to set the world on fire. Your point about AV is valid though. We all saw how he revered Shane O'Brien for his off-ice activities.

A PTO for Barker is not a bad move...now, hopefully we could get Arnott signed to a one year $1.5 million deal.

#41 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

To be honest, everyone is saying that Barker is a bust and terrible and all that, I don't think it would be a bad move to offer him a two-way contract, you know, just in case.

I know some of you think Edler and the like are 'veterans' now, but do you not remember Edler in the last playoff run? Probably the worst defensive performance for the Canucks organization this side of Sopel, and without question the worst "major" player in the NHL playoffs. Canucks defense is good on paper, but just doesn't hold up in 'crunch time' -- of course that may be different now with a short season.

There's WAY too much inconsistency with our defense, so if Barker could be had on the cheap, two-way short term deal, I don't see why how it isn't a low risk, high reward deal.

Bieksa was terrible against Chicago 3 years ago. The next year he was a beast. !?@$ happens.
Posted Image

#42 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

PTO's can't go wrong, you get a free look, its like a week long test drive starting Saturday, if its true.

CDC GM League Posted Image General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#43 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Our "panicky" guys you have listed all have Game 7 of Stanley Cup Final experience. I guess a veteran is an "old guy" to you, because Ohlund doesn't even have the SCF experience in his career. Barker is also 6 foot 3, 220 pounds. If you believe Alberts and Rome were "physical" then Barker is just as physical if not more.
Posted Image
Thanks to Hockey_Crazy for the sig!

#44 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

PTO's never hurt.
I wouldn't even mind seeing him resurrect his career by playing well, but not well enough to earn a roster spot, and then get signed by another team, a la Brendan Morrison.
Posted Image

#45 Bure fan

Bure fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

As said before, PTO are only a positive. And if he signs it should give Canucks depth at D.

No news about Jason Arnott yet eh?

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

#46 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,772 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

As said before, PTO are only a positive. And if he signs it should give Canucks depth at D.

No news about Jason Arnott yet eh?

They need to ratify the agreement before you will hear anything about anybody.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#47 Bure fan

Bure fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

They need to ratify the agreement before you will hear anything about anybody.

Oh yeah, make sense. Thank you.

#10 Pavel Bure #96

Posted Image

#48 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Getting confused about what I'm posting in which thread - posted this in the new (duplicate) one instead of here earlier:

@News1130Sports The #Canucks have interest in signing free agent defenseman Cam Barker.
Agent J.P Barry confirmed this morning to us that Vancouver is one of the teams interested in his services.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#49 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Oh yeah, make sense. Thank you.

Dude, can you not just move all your signature images onto one line? And then it looks like you have extra lines down below all the sigs. Put the LB on one side and the RR on the other if you want to keep it centered - no need for any more lines and then extra white space so people have to keep scrolling past it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#50 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

short season NHL experience is vital no time to learn what its going to take. I like Barker fairly young knows what it takes to win and has been a very skilled player his whole career had a couple down seasons.
Maybe he comes here and knows this could be his last shot and plays like he has something to prove. (torres)
i'd take Barker over rome or alberts anytime plus he has the potential to move up IF he can regain even a bit of his previous form.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#51 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

You can never have too many Cams. B)
Posted Image

#52 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

An angry, mean and fired up Alberts is someone we could use in our line up...not the passive tower of nothing that he's been since he has been with the Canucks. It's too bad that opposing forwards have no fear of parking themselves in front of our goalies when Alberts is on the ice. It would be great if he would be more aggressive and willing to drag his knuckles more than he does.

#53 WeDreamOfStanley

WeDreamOfStanley

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

I know, no source, but a while back chatting with someone who was with Barker in Minny, and apparently he has some attitude problems, and really is just not a good hockey player for this level. We shall see.

#54 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

I know, no source, but a while back chatting with someone who was with Barker in Minny, and apparently he has some attitude problems, and really is just not a good hockey player for this level. We shall see.

It's definitely not skill or ability on their own. He has had rumoured substance abuse issues, and mentally that can cause attitude problems and take a lot away from what someone is capable of at the highest level.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#55 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,313 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

We're not going to be picking a great defenseman as our 8th D-man.

It's likely going to be a plug defenseman that comes cheap, cause that's all we can afford.

At least Barker has alot of upside, and was a high first overall pick. So you gotta think he's still got some talent. Either way, I would want him over Conauton or Joslin at this point.

Edited by DeNiro, 08 January 2013 - 03:39 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#56 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

He's got bust written all over him but we have nothing to lose so...

#57 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,313 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

He's got bust written all over him but we have nothing to lose so...

Yea, but can you call him a bust a s an 8th defenseman?

If he sucks or he has attitude problems, you put him on waivers.

At this point, I don't see a whole lot of options for D-men out there. We need a cheap depth defenseman. Maybe we can get that through a trade, but time will tell.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#58 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,998 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Edler

Ballard-Tanev

Barker-Alberts

Not bad...

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#59 laxgoalie

laxgoalie

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

How would a PTO work with the shortened season?
Posted Image Posted Image

#60 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

How would a PTO work with the shortened season?

The same way it would in a normal season, the player comes to camp and tries out. He either makes the team and gets a contract before the first regular season game is played, or he's released
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.