The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Cam Barker with Canucks?

Avicii

To be honest, everyone is saying that Barker is a bust and terrible and all that, I don't think it would be a bad move to offer him a two-way contract, you know, just in case.

I know some of you think Edler and the like are 'veterans' now, but do you not remember Edler in the last playoff run? Probably the worst defensive performance for the Canucks organization this side of Sopel, and without question the worst "major" player in the NHL playoffs. Canucks defense is good on paper, but just doesn't hold up in 'crunch time' -- of course that may be different now with a short season.

There's WAY too much inconsistency with our defense, so if Barker could be had on the cheap, two-way short term deal, I don't see why how it isn't a low risk, high reward deal.

I'd rather a big, physical defenceman like Alberts and Rome than someone like Barker. That being said we desperately need a veteran presence on our blueline after we lost all of our greybeards in Ohlund and Salo. Suddenly a very young defence without years of experience that we need. With Salo in our lineup, our more panicky guys like Edler, Ballard and Bieksa were instantly calmed. I don't want to see how badly they play all season without a veteran defender.

short season NHL experience is vital no time to learn what its going to take. I like Barker fairly young knows what it takes to win and has been a very skilled player his whole career had a couple down seasons.

Maybe he comes here and knows this could be his last shot and plays like he has something to prove. (torres)

i'd take Barker over rome or alberts anytime plus he has the potential to move up IF he can regain even a bit of his previous form.

I'd rather a big, physical defenceman like Alberts and Rome than someone like Barker. That being said we desperately need a veteran presence on our blueline after we lost all of our greybeards in Ohlund and Salo. Suddenly a very young defence without years of experience that we need. With Salo in our lineup, our more panicky guys like Edler, Ballard and Bieksa were instantly calmed. I don't want to see how badly they play all season without a veteran defender.

We're not going to be picking a great defenseman as our 8th D-man.

It's likely going to be a plug defenseman that comes cheap, cause that's all we can afford.

At least Barker has alot of upside, and was a high first overall pick. So you gotta think he's still got some talent. Either way, I would want him over Conauton or Joslin at this point.

Archived