The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[2013] Top 5 Odds To Win The Cup

The Magician

I understand why everyone would say Pittsburgh, what with Fleury, Letang, Crosby, Malkin, plus their additions...but I reeeally think people are over-valuing the Blues. They're a great team, but they don't really have defensive depth. Outside of Pietrangelo, and maybe Polak, who've they really got? Jackman is well past his prime, and over rated anyway, and Halak isn't as good as everyone thought. He, and the entire Blues defense, was picked apart by the Kings (in their defense *pardon the pun* LA was playing lights out hockey through the entire playoffs). I would look at LA repeating before I'd look at the Blues.

I understand why everyone would say Pittsburgh, what with Fleury, Letang, Crosby, Malkin, plus their additions...but I reeeally think people are over-valuing the Blues. They're a great team, but they don't really have defensive depth. Outside of Pietrangelo, and maybe Polak, who've they really got? Jackman is well past his prime, and over rated anyway, and Halak isn't as good as everyone thought. He, and the entire Blues defense, was picked apart by the Kings (in their defense *pardon the pun* LA was playing lights out hockey through the entire playoffs). I would look at LA repeating before I'd look at the Blues.

Kopitar injured to start the season, and they struggled with regular season play so their biggest problem will be getting to the playoffs without their #1 center for a big chunk of the regular season games. Quick is unlikely to replicate last season's performance so I would drop them down a fair bit.

The Penguins have had Malkin and Gonchar playing well in the KHL which could be physically draining for them, or could have prepared them well for the season so they may have a kick-start. Also Crosby is fully healthy and ready to go, I put them as the early cup favourites, much higher than 8/1. Don't forget Letang was almost a point-a-game last season when healthy and he's back too. Only wild-card is Fleury - basically the only way they don't steal the Cup.

Canucks are definately going to struggle without Kesler to start the season - similar to the Kings. I would drop our odds a bit, also with a very uncertain picture in goal. Schneider was bombed in his games in Europe so must have shot his confidence, so we'll see how he fares after being thrown right into the deep end with playoff-like games throughout the shortened, more important regular season games. Our defence boasts probably one of the best top-4 in the league though so no queries there though. We should be about the 3rd or 4th most likely team to win it all.

Archived