60 replies to this topic

#31 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,789 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'd definitely say the Blues and Rangers are the top 2 favourites.

As it stands right now, I don't see any other team winning the cup, barring injuries of course.

Ha ha that's hilarious ... you can't see any other team winning the cup? That statement is just funny because they are the only two teams with a shot I guess.

Who on God's earth gave you a plus for that. ha ha ha good stuff boys and girls.

Edited by Dogbyte, 08 January 2013 - 09:16 AM.

There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#32 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

Kopitar injured to start the season, and they struggled with regular season play so their biggest problem will be getting to the playoffs without their #1 center for a big chunk of the regular season games. Quick is unlikely to replicate last season's performance so I would drop them down a fair bit.

The Penguins have had Malkin and Gonchar playing well in the KHL which could be physically draining for them, or could have prepared them well for the season so they may have a kick-start. Also Crosby is fully healthy and ready to go, I put them as the early cup favourites, much higher than 8/1. Don't forget Letang was almost a point-a-game last season when healthy and he's back too. Only wild-card is Fleury - basically the only way they don't steal the Cup.

Canucks are definately going to struggle without Kesler to start the season - similar to the Kings. I would drop our odds a bit, also with a very uncertain picture in goal. Schneider was bombed in his games in Europe so must have shot his confidence, so we'll see how he fares after being thrown right into the deep end with playoff-like games throughout the shortened, more important regular season games. Our defence boasts probably one of the best top-4 in the league though so no queries there though. We should be about the 3rd or 4th most likely team to win it all.

Thankfully Luongo is still a Canuck. Schneider was rushed into the #1 position and he's shown with his play in Europe that he's not 100% ready for the full time job. With no back up (Lack is injured) we better keep Luongo around as long as we can.

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#33 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

LOL, Blues are overrated like crazy.

#34 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,711 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

Here's the full list:

Pittsburgh Penguins 8/1
New York Rangers 17/2
Vancouver Canucks 9/1
Los Angeles Kings 12/1
Philadelphia Flyers 12/1
Chicago Blackhawks 14/1
Boston Bruins 16/1
Detroit Red Wings 16/1
St. Louis Blues 16/1
Minnesota Wild 18/1
San Jose Sharks 20/1
Carolina Hurricanes 22/1
Washington Capitals 22/1
Buffalo Sabres 25/1
Edmonton Oilers 25/1
Nashville Predators 28/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 28/1
Montreal Canadiens 30/1
New Jersey Devils 30/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 30/1
Anaheim Ducks 40/1
Colorado Avalanche 40/1
Dallas Stars 40/1
Florida Panthers 40/1
Ottawa Senators 40/1
Phoenix Coyotes 40/1
Calgary Flames 50/1
Winnipeg Jets 50/1
New York Islanders 66/1
Columbus Blue Jackets 100/1

http://sports.yahoo....43519--nhl.html

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#35 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,933 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Kings vs. Rangers final.

Posted Image

#36 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Jeez, lots of people signing the blues...

Seriously though, Canucks would sweep St Louis.

Edited by CanucksSayEh, 08 January 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#37 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

The Blues? I think you have to go with Rangers and Pens in the East and Canucks out West. Second West team is a crap shoot, but I just dont see STL being a real deal...
I Love Lamp...

#38 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,933 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Jeez, lots of people signing the blues...

Seriously though, Canucks would sweep St Louis.

Teams that play an aggressive style offensively, defensively, and physically with good coaching and systems have shut the Canucks offense down in the playoffs time and time again. I am a Canucks homer but lets be realistic here. The Blues could very easily take out the Canucks.

#39 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Teams that play an aggressive style offensively, defensively, and physically with good coaching and systems have shut the Canucks offense down in the playoffs time and time again. I am a Canucks homer but lets be realistic here. The Blues could very easily take out the Canucks.

I hate to say it, but I have to agree. Without Kesler, we're in trouble and how long will it take for him to be playoff ready if/when he comes back? I don't know if MG can efectively fill the 2nd and 3rd line holes on this team.

Min and LA are a concern as well. No SCF hangover for LA.

#40 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

On a shortened season you would have to have Boston in there somewhere.
Kevin.jpg

#41 canucks_qc

canucks_qc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

I understand why everyone would say Pittsburgh, what with Fleury, Letang, Crosby, Malkin, plus their additions...but I reeeally think people are over-valuing the Blues. They're a great team, but they don't really have defensive depth. Outside of Pietrangelo, and maybe Polak, who've they really got? Jackman is well past his prime, and over rated anyway, and Halak isn't as good as everyone thought. He, and the entire Blues defense, was picked apart by the Kings (in their defense *pardon the pun* LA was playing lights out hockey through the entire playoffs). I would look at LA repeating before I'd look at the Blues.

I second that, le Canadien beeing my hometown team, I can tell you about Halak he's a great #2 material or if you prefer he's an average #1 if he split the season with the other keeper. A few years ago when he was the #1 keeper for the Habs when the lost in the conference final against the Flyers after winning against the Caps and the Pens a lot of people said he have been great, that's false he have been okay and that's all. Against the Caps he started a game on the bench, in each series he have been pull off the net.

How does the Habs won their series against Washington and Pittsburgh, by scoring goals.

Habs had a goal for average of 2,86 against the Capitals, agaisnt the Penguins they had a GFA of 2,71 but in the conference finals against the Flyers they only scored 1,4. Halak look good because he had a team that scored goals in front of him to win those series, does he has been worst against the Flyers, no but they wasn't scoring like in the past 2 series. Just saying, when we lost agaisnt the Bruins, we scored 8 goals in 7 games, it's a miracle that we went that far in the Stanley Cup Final.

It isn't because we are canadian that we know everything about hockey. I'm sure if we ask to the average hockey fan how the tripping penalty work most of them would be wrong.

We have more than we think in common with ''Le Canadien de Montréal''

Both have logo shapped in ''C''

Canadien and Canucks mean the samething

We both hate the Boston Bruins now

Alain Vigneault coached both teams

Rogers Arena, Centre Bell, it's phones company

We are blue white and green they are blue white and red

Our #1 goalie is from Qc, their #1 goalie is from BC

But we have one important thing different and I hope it will change after the next season, we don't have Stanley Cup banner

#42 Burrows91

Burrows91

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

I can see that Blues vs. Sabers is where I am going at.

I dont believe Blues will win the west, although it is possible, but the Sabres winning the east? Good luck

Posted Image

Credit: -Vintage Canuck-

#43 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

It will probably end up being none of those 5

#44 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

If we hit full stride going into the playoffs I have no doubt we can beat the blues. We're bound to ship Lu for reinforcements up front so our team will be rounded out by the playoffs.

We could beat the Blues, possibly. I was meaning as the teams are right now. A trade could change my mind though, but I'm not counting on it.
Posted ImagePosted Image
---------------------------------------------------

#45 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Ha ha that's hilarious ... you can't see any other team winning the cup? That statement is just funny because they are the only two teams with a shot I guess.

Who on God's earth gave you a plus for that. ha ha ha good stuff boys and girls.

What's so funny about that? I don't think anyone besides the Blues or Rangers will win. Last year I thought all season that LA was going to win and look how that turned out.

At least I'm not picking the Pens like everyone else.
Posted ImagePosted Image
---------------------------------------------------

#46 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Thankfully Luongo is still a Canuck. Schneider was rushed into the #1 position and he's shown with his play in Europe that he's not 100% ready for the full time job. With no back up (Lack is injured) we better keep Luongo around as long as we can.

He's ready for the full time job. He was a full timer in the AHL for a couple seasons and the AHL is a much higher level league than the Swiss league.

Look at Pekka Rinne's stats in the KHL. It happens.

#47 Pablo

Pablo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Rangers
Pens
Blues
Canucks
Flyers

Blues>Kings

#48 CptCanuck16

CptCanuck16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

My prediction:

Pens vs. Canucks

Crosby wins it in OT of Game 7, Vancouver fans riot yet again. ::D

#49 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Blues
Rangers
Canucks
Kings
Penguins
Posted Image

CDC FL - St. Louis Blues GM Posted Image

Via Tinychat - kaz: KJ > Spoder (Dec 27/13 @10:41pm)

#50 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Canucks
Rangers
Kings
Flyers (if they can get any goaltending)
Penguins

Edited by Moonshinefe, 08 January 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#51 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Rangers
Pens
Blues
Canucks
Flyers

Blues>Kings

Then how come the Kings swept the Blues last playoffs?

#52 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

He's ready for the full time job. He was a full timer in the AHL for a couple seasons and the AHL is a much higher level league than the Swiss league.

Look at Pekka Rinne's stats in the KHL. It happens.

People will find any excuse to cry about Schneider getting the starting position, don't even bother trying to give them the facts.

#53 James van Riemsdyk

James van Riemsdyk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

I think the King's could repeat the cup if they can make the playoffs, they're not very good in the regular season, lots of them slack off during the season. In the Playoffs is where most of them shine. That's why i'm counting them out this year, they won't have enough time to scrap together enough wins to get to the 8th seed again. Just my 2 cents
Posted Image
Edmonton Oilers CHL AGM
Edmontion Oilers SRHL Commissioner/GM

#54 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,954 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Everything hinges on Kesler's ability to come back soon and then play well. Also, a few key deals that could really bolster and solidify the lineup and depth.

Posted ImagePosted Image

RIP LB RR PD

#55 AverageHockeyfan

AverageHockeyfan

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Why the are the winnipeg jets ranked so low they're going to be great team this year mark my words.

#56 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

LOL, Blues are overrated like crazy.

Yesssss

#57 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

Canucks will win the cup so the rest of canada can put an asterisk against the win.

Posted Image

#58 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

For anyone who doesn't know how odds work... They set the odds on what they think people are going to bet on. They want equal bets on all teams because they just make money on every bet. So they know everyone is betting on Pittsburgh, New York, Vancouver etc so the odds are lower and they want an equal number of people to bet on the rest of the teams so the odds are higher. Very few will bet on Columbus so that's why they start of 100/1 odds. That will get people throwing down bets on them. A five dollar bet will be five hundred back etc.

Odds are what the general public are putting money on... not what actually might be the best team(s) out there. Vegas never loses money!

#59 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,509 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I'm not a gambling man. However, I gotta say that the Sabres are underrated like crazy.

They're going to be a very strong team this year. They still have the skill, but they added a gritty guy who will drive you crazy (Steve Ott), and a behemoth that will make sure nobody dares run Miller (John Scott).

I'd put them just below the Rangers in the East, with Pitts. No Crosby/Malkin, but far superior goaltending and defensive ability.
Posted Image

#60 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,023 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

I'm not a gambling man. However, I gotta say that the Sabres are underrated like crazy.

They're going to be a very strong team this year. They still have the skill, but they added a gritty guy who will drive you crazy (Steve Ott), and a behemoth that will make sure nobody dares run Miller (John Scott).

I'd put them just below the Rangers in the East, with Pitts. No Crosby/Malkin, but far superior goaltending and defensive ability.

The Sabres still need a solid number one centre and a checking line centre before they can be a true contender. If they don't make any moves to get either of them, they are still a year or two away. They have some great prospects coming up though which will make them a threat in the near future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.