The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Piers Morgan

dudeone

You do realize that the Inquiry into the phone hacking scandal (the Leveson Inquiry) that produced the Leveson Report concluded there was no evidence to establish that Piers Morgan authorized phone hacking, or that the Mirror engaged in the practice under his editorial watch?

This evidence does not establish that Mr Morgan authorised the hacking of voicemails or that journalists employed by TMG were indulging in this practice. What it does, however, clearly prove is that he was aware that it was taking place in the press as a whole and that he was sufficiently unembarrassed by what was criminal behaviour that he was prepared to joke about it.

That claim on violent crime rates being greater in the UK than the US has been made by a number of gun nut apologists.

On the surface it may even appear valid until you realize that countries define violent crime differently and comparing violent crime rates between countries is like comparing apples and orangutans. That is the reason studies of crime rates focus on homicide rates because that is as close to a universal standard as one can get.

The definitions used for violent crime in America differ considerably from the New Zealand definition of violent offences. In UCR statistics, violent crime is composed of four offences: murder and non-negligent manslaughter, forcible ****, robbery, and aggravated assault.

In the case of comparisons of violent crime numbers and rates between the US and UK it may be more than apples and orangutans - it is better described as apples and alien mutant orangutans.

Yes, high profile celebrities seem to always be innocent when the government is involved.

Also, appreciate that research. Very informative.

On another note, a lot of the homicide rates in America have to do with gangs and the drug trade. I doubt any ban could prevent these people from obtaining guns. And even then, these crimes are mainly committed with handguns, nothing the proposed ban on semi-automatic weapons could stop.

We have similar problems in Canada with drugs and gangs but gun control legislation significantly reduces the carnage.

Also the prevalence of unsecured and unsafely stored guns in the US means a much higher incidence of firearm related homicides and injuries to the owner, his/her family, friends and guests in the home as well as enabling suicides. There are any number of studies that bear this out.

I'm sure the insurgents in Afghanistan are much more battle hardened, better equipped and have actual training as opposed to many gun advocates in the US. You know, I wonder how much actual combat experience and training Alex Jones has -- I'm going to say he has absolutely none. The insurgents, despite being savages, are a much formidable opponent. Then again the US could have left that country nothing more than a smoking crater if they really wanted to.

Yes, Canada has 1/3 the amount of homicides compared to the United States with a 10x decrease in population.

I do believe people should be smarter with their storage of guns. I also believe that it's not the government's job to protect us from ourselves, but from the potential threat of others. There's no legislation that can prevent stupid.

Yes, Canada has 1/3 the amount of homicides compared to the United States with a 10x decrease in population.

I do believe people should be smarter with their storage of guns. I also believe that it's not the government's job to protect us from ourselves, but from the potential threat of others. There's no legislation that can prevent stupid.

Archived