63 replies to this topic

#1 BentleytheGreat

BentleytheGreat

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

Hey all, it's been a while since I've done this, and I know it's probably pretty early but I'm stoked on the season opener. How do you think our lineup will look with Kesler more than likely out to start the season? I think it'll look a little something like this:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Schroeder - Higgins (Still the American Express line, and this is definitely Schroeder's time to shine)
Raymond - Lapierre - Kassian
Hansen - Malhotra - Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts

Schneider

Now, it's entirely possible I forgot someone, and I don't think Kass would get the nod on the third line over Hansen, but I think Kassian has a lot of potential and shouldn't be on a fourth line. Certainly we have a decent amount of depth that Kassian, who is arguably one of our top prospects right now, can barely fit into the roster. Of course, we're a ways away from seeing the actual opening night rosters but this is CDC (long-time reader, first-time poster), and we love to speculate! How do you guys think/want the opening night roster to look like?

Edited by BentleytheGreat, 08 January 2013 - 12:24 AM.

#2 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

Hey all, it's been a while since I've done this, and I know it's probably pretty early but I'm stoked on the season opener. How do you think our lineup will look with Kesler more than likely out to start the season? I think it'll look a little something like this:

Booth - Schroeder - Booth (Still the American Express line, and this is definitely Schroeder's time to shine)

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts

Schneider

Now, it's entirely possible I forgot someone, and I don't think Kass would get the nod on the third line over Hansen, but I think Kassian has a lot of potential and shouldn't be on a fourth line. Certainly we have a decent amount of depth that Kassian, who is arguably one of our top prospects right now, can barely fit into the roster. Of course, we're a ways away from seeing the actual opening night rosters but this is CDC (long-time reader, first-time poster), and we love to speculate! How do you guys think/want the opening night roster to look like?

You forgot Higgins.
:bigblush:
Double the Booth, double the dead deer, double the pissed off fans.

Seriously though, your lines look exactly similar to what I expect. Unless we trade Luongo before the start of the season.

Edited by MaximYapierre, 08 January 2013 - 12:10 AM.

/=S=/

#3 joecanada777

joecanada777

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

I thought last year a lineup like that would rule, now im not so sure....

QUOTE(queen_canuck_fan)
cuz when I saw you outside in the bushes, by length I would have guessed 11...

QUOTE(Whiskey7 @ Apr 19 2007, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is done in almost every sport, in every league, for a great player who has an "oooooo" sound in his name. I'm always a bit surprised when people don't pick up on it, and announcers on TV have to clarify for those at home.

#4 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,540 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Lapierre - Higgins
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Weise - Malhotra - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

307mg00.jpg

#5 BentleytheGreat

BentleytheGreat

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

You forgot Higgins.
:bigblush:

I blame the lockout. Let's change that :ph34r:

#6 captain_kirk1

captain_kirk1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

OP I agree, but I'd think the bottom 6 will change

I like
Raymond - Schroeder - Booth for 2nd (reason for this is see the 3rd line)

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen line for 3rd - these guys together tore it up in the playoffs. I like this group. Feisty forcheck and nasty to play against.

Weise - Manny - Kassian 4th

I think Raymond, Higgins and Kassian and Booth will all change. Maybe even Kassian with the Sedins have Burr on the 2nd

Manny and Lappy will interchange too. Schroeder will be bounced around with Lappy too I think.

Juice /Hammer, Edler/Garr, Tanev/Ballard + Alberts + (Cam Barker or Connauton or guy via trade)

#7 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Sedin-Sedin-Burows
Booth-Lapierre-Hansen
Higgins-Schroeder-Kassian
Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

Edler-Garrison
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Tanev

Schnieder
Luongo

2nd and 3rd can interchange easily

Edited by Number14, 08 January 2013 - 12:39 AM.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#8 OurTimeToShine

OurTimeToShine

Otis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,162 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Schroeder - Higgins
Hansen - Lapierre - Kassian
Raymond - Malhotra - Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

Posted Image

Thanks -Vintage Canuck-!!!

#9 BentleytheGreat

BentleytheGreat

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

OP I agree, but I'd think the bottom 6 will change

I like
Raymond - Schroeder - Booth for 2nd (reason for this is see the 3rd line)

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen line for 3rd - these guys together tore it up in the playoffs. I like this group. Feisty forcheck and nasty to play against.

Weise - Manny - Kassian 4th

I think Raymond, Higgins and Kassian and Booth will all change. Maybe even Kassian with the Sedins have Burr on the 2nd

Manny and Lappy will interchange too. Schroeder will be bounced around with Lappy too I think.

Juice /Hammer, Edler/Garr, Tanev/Ballard + Alberts + (Cam Barker or Connauton or guy via trade)

I definitely agree with your third line. That's a solid checking line with goal-scoring potential. Hope that's the way it works out on opening night!

#10 LegionOfDoom

LegionOfDoom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Lapierre - Higgins
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Weise - Malhotra - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

That 3rd line looks a little slow to me

#11 spentral

spentral

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

twins-burrows
booth-higgins-kassian
raymond-lapierre-hansen
volpatti-malhotra-weise

bieksa-hamhuis
edler-garrison
ballard-tanev

schneider
??????

#12 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,414 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

That 3rd line looks a little slow to me

Especially Raymond, we need speed Gillis!

Subbancopy.jpg

#13 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

First is obvious, but I would put Lappy second line center after what he did with sedins last year. Gritty player who works for his goals with skill... booth and higgins with him.
Schroeder and kass should play together as they have been on and off for a few months now, why not put em together!? raymond with them that's a good skating line and Raymond is a solid back checker and Kass can be to if he wants to be. Ideally I would like to see Hansen move up the lineup and play third line, but he's just as impactful 3rd as fourth and our minuets could be more balanced with our bottom 6 being 2 solid lines instead of one solid and one meh line. Bottom six will move around a bit of course, but i'm going for balanced checking and scoring lines Weise might get dropped for Volpatti depending on the team were playing as he's not really a big hitier and Volpatti can grind a bit harder. Short season so every game counts and we need production from every line if we want to win

sedin sedin burr
booth lapierre higgins
raymond schroeder kassian
weise malhotra hansen

D is pretty obvious

I can see Schroeder not making the team though and if he doesn't play well even if he's in the lineup expect him to drop and the Lu trade will fill his role, he will most likely be traded as well at that point.

Exciting stuff ahead. I feel a new look Canucks will be playing in 2013-2014 as contracts expire and trades are acquired :)
linden Vey Sig

#14 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

Booth - Schroeder - Higgins (Still the American Express line, and this is definitely Schroeder's time to shine)

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts
Schneider
Kassian, who is arguably one of our top prospects right now, can barely fit into the roster.

2nd Line Center Candidates:
Injured: Kesler 6 foot 2 and 202 lbs-561 NHL games played
LaPierre 6 `foot 2 and 227lbs -415 NHL games
Higgins 6 feet and 203 lbs-482 NHL games
Malholtra 6 foot 2 and 220 lbs-855 NHL games played
Ebbett 5 foot 9 and 172 lbs -182 NHL games

Schroeder 5 foot 9 175 pounds - 0 NHL games played

Gillis cautioned that in a sprint-to-the-finish kind of season that is about to start, it might be more difficult for young, inexperienced players to crack the lineup.
"You don't have the luxury of a full season to experiment," Gillis said. "We were planning to introduce a number of young players, now I am not sure how that is going to work out with a shortened schedule.
"Obviously, with a 48-game schedule you don't have any room for experimentation or introduction unless the player is ready to play and ready to contribute. That is going to change the dynamics not only for us but for every team in the league. We are going to have to go with our best players every night no matter what to make sure we get into the playoffs and have an opportunity to advance."

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz2HMYQMyK7

Edited by nuck nit, 08 January 2013 - 02:32 AM.

#15 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,032 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

"Obviously, with a 48-game schedule you don't have any room for experimentation or introduction unless the player is ready to play and ready to contribute.

Kind of an important part of that statement. Until we see how Schroeder does at the next level, you can't say whether he is ready or not.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#16 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

Kind of an important part of that statement. Until we see how Schroeder does at the next level, you can't say whether he is ready or not.

Gillis has cautioned the players and the fans not to get their hopes up with Shroe and Kas.
I think the first part of Gillis' quote is the most important:
"Obviously, with a 48-game schedule you don't have any room for experimentation or introduction...." Mike Gillis

The other four Canucks that have been talked about for second line center duties have over two thousand NHL regular season games between themselves.They do not need introduction.

Edited by nuck nit, 08 January 2013 - 02:45 AM.

#17 shawn antoski

shawn antoski

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

Booth - Arnott 2 mill- Kassian
Hansen- Lapierre - Higgins
Malhotra -Schroeder- Raymond

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts

#18 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,032 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

Gillis has cautioned the players and the fans not to get their hopes up with Shroe and Kas.
I think the first part of Gillis' quote is the most important:
"Obviously, with a 48-game schedule you don't have any room for experimentation or introduction...." Mike Gillis

I think all that means is that a player like Schroeder won't get 10 games to see how he does. Either he's ready right out of the gate, or he's not going to make the team.

In a condensed season, that should be pretty obvious to him.

Edited by DeNiro, 08 January 2013 - 02:46 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#19 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,108 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:51 AM

Wait you all wanted Kassian to dominate in the AHL for points yet you all throw him on the 4th line when he makes the big club? Well that makes a lot of sense.

Then when he doesn't produce you're all going to say why isn't he scoring?! He's so a bum I miss CoHo..Cry me a ???? river.

Edited by The Kassassin Train, 08 January 2013 - 03:51 AM.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#20 BentleytheGreat

BentleytheGreat

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

Wait you all wanted Kassian to dominate in the AHL for points yet you all throw him on the 4th line when he makes the big club? Well that makes a lot of sense.

Then when he doesn't produce you're all going to say why isn't he scoring?! He's so a bum I miss CoHo..Cry me a ???? river.

I'm all for having him on the third, or even the second line. I would hate to have Kass on the fourth line, his talents are wasted there. But the sad thing is that our depth doesn't necesssrily provide Kass with a spot on the third/fourth line unless Raymond or Hansen are demoted. If Kass doesn't get decent enough minutes, it'd be better for him to stay with the Wolves and come hungry to training camp next year. Though I truly hope there's space for him this year, I like his play from what I've seen.

#21 BentleytheGreat

BentleytheGreat

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:03 AM

Schroeder 5 foot 9 175 pounds - 0 NHL games played

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz2HMYQMyK7

While I most certainly agree that Schroeder probably isn't the most qualified, he's been playing professional hockey in Chicago all season and is alreadybin midseason form. He'll definitely have a short leash, but I suspect he'll have some jump out of the gate, especially given that this is his big chance to make an impression with Kesler out. I think Schroeder's going to surprise people.

#22 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

I am sure the management would really like to see Jordan outperform.
He is in a tough spot with a short season and four NHL ready players that can fill the role for lines 2-4,already.
I think we will see the best of Jordan,which can only be helpful for everyone.

#23 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:26 AM

I don't buy into Schroeder walking into the team when we need a fast start. Ebbett is a much stronger player for me and deserves his chance. He showed a lot of great moves last year and is fearless.

For the same reason Booth is further down on 3rd until he can show he is a team player. Volpatti if fully fit is needed on the 4th and imo he was better than Weise before the injury.

I have put Schneider in goal despite my opinion that he is inferior to Lu because we must find out if Schneider is the guy we hope he is on a nightly basis.

Raymond - Ebbett - Higgins
Booth - Lapierre - Hansen
Volpatti - Malhotra - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider

Edited by Bodee, 08 January 2013 - 04:28 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#24 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

Sedin-sedin-burrows
Booth-bozak-kassian
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Malhotra-lappiere-weise/Raymond

Bieksa-hamhuis
Edler-garrison
Ballard-Tanev

Schneider

#25 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:29 AM

Ill be pissed is kassian is on the 4th and hodgson and his dad will be laughing

#26 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

The more I look at these lineups, the clearer it is that we need immediate help in a Luongo trade, preferably at the center position. I'd push hard for Weiss, if we have to include a pick as well so be it.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian - At least try kassian with the twins. He's a much better passer than he gets credit for.
Booth-Weiss-Higgins - Former panthers line; Booth and Weiss were linemates in Fla
Burrows-Lapierre-Hansen - great shutdown line that can score. Burr is here because the line needs a LW
Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

Edler-Garrison
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Tanev

Edited by Number14, 08 January 2013 - 04:39 AM.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#27 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,021 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Don't forget theres a strong possibliity we have Arnott
Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

If Kass isn't on the team that's going to be a big mistake.... Who the frack is going to do all the hitting and fighting and standing up for our team? Weise? laughable. Lapierre, Kesler and Bieksa can't do it all.....

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#29 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Sedins Burr
Booth Higgins Hansen
Raymond Lapierre Kassian
Volpatti Malholtra Weiss

D the same as all the others

Hopefully MG can get some help here. This is not a SC winning team.

#30 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Assuming there are no trades/UFA signings:

Daniel -- Henrik -- Burrows
Booth -- Higgins -- Hansen
Raymond -- Lapierre -- Kassian
Volpatti -- Malhotra -- Wiese
13th forward: Ebbett

Hamhuis -- Bieksa
Edler -- Garrison
Ballard -- Tanev
7th defenceman: Alberts

Schneider
Luongo

Possible additions/subtractions (not all would apply at the same time):

Add: Jason Arnott (2nd/3rd line center); Cam Barker (8th defenceman); Jim Vandermeer (8th defenceman); Tyler Bozak (2nd/3rd line center); Stephen Weiss (2nd line center); Dan Ellis (back up goalie); James Reimer or Ben Scrivens (back up goalie?)

Subtract: Roberto Luongo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.