The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Possible Opening Night Lines?

BentleytheGreat

I am sure the management would really like to see Jordan outperform.

He is in a tough spot with a short season and four NHL ready players that can fill the role for lines 2-4,already.

I think we will see the best of Jordan,which can only be helpful for everyone.

I don't buy into Schroeder walking into the team when we need a fast start. Ebbett is a much stronger player for me and deserves his chance. He showed a lot of great moves last year and is fearless.

For the same reason Booth is further down on 3rd until he can show he is a team player. Volpatti if fully fit is needed on the 4th and imo he was better than Weise before the injury.

I have put Schneider in goal despite my opinion that he is inferior to Lu because we must find out if Schneider is the guy we hope he is on a nightly basis.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Ebbett - Higgins

Booth - Lapierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Malhotra - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Schneider

The more I look at these lineups, the clearer it is that we need immediate help in a Luongo trade, preferably at the center position. I'd push hard for Weiss, if we have to include a pick as well so be it.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian - At least try kassian with the twins. He's a much better passer than he gets credit for.

Booth-Weiss-Higgins - Former panthers line; Booth and Weiss were linemates in Fla

Burrows-Lapierre-Hansen - great shutdown line that can score. Burr is here because the line needs a LW

Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

Edler-Garrison

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Ballard-Tanev

Assuming there are no trades/UFA signings:

Daniel -- Henrik -- Burrows

Booth -- Higgins -- Hansen

Raymond -- Lapierre -- Kassian

Volpatti -- Malhotra -- Wiese

13th forward: Ebbett

Hamhuis -- Bieksa

Edler -- Garrison

Ballard -- Tanev

7th defenceman: Alberts

Schneider

Luongo

Possible additions/subtractions (not all would apply at the same time):

Add: Jason Arnott (2nd/3rd line center); Cam Barker (8th defenceman); Jim Vandermeer (8th defenceman); Tyler Bozak (2nd/3rd line center); Stephen Weiss (2nd line center); Dan Ellis (back up goalie); James Reimer or Ben Scrivens (back up goalie?)

Subtract: Roberto Luongo

Alright, my turn.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Lapierre - Higgins

Raymond - Ebbett - Kassian

Volpatti - Malhotra - Hansen

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Schneider

Luongo

This is just thrown together without much thought to be honest. A lot of these guys are interchangeable and can move up and down the lines. I feel Ebbett is a bit overlooked amongst Canuck fans. The guy scored some clutch goals for us in his short stint, and he's had a significant role with the Wolves this season.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Weiss Higgins

Raymond Lappy Kassian/Hansen

Volpatti Malhotra Hansen/Kassian

Weisse

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler GArrison

Ballard TAnev

Alberts

Schneider

Ellis

Luongo to Florida for Stephen Weiss a 2nd and a 3rd round pick.

WE sign Dan Ellis to back up Schneids and play 15 games. And hope to god he wins atleast half of them.

Weiss is a UFA next year. We would then have major depth down the middle to make a serious run at the cup.

Use one buyout clause this summer on Keith Ballard or David Booth if either of them craps the bed this year. Or buy them both out. Give Edler his raise. Do not re-sign Higgins or Raymond and see is we can somehow land Corey Perry this summer.

Next years starting lineup would look like this

Sedin Sedin Perry

Burrows Kesler KAssian

Jensen Lappy Hansen

Volpatti MAlhotra Weise/Pinnozotto

Schroeder

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler GArrison

Connaughton Tanev

UFA

Schneider

Lack

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Weiss Higgins

Raymond Lappy Kassian/Hansen

Volpatti Malhotra Hansen/Kassian

Weisse

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler GArrison

Ballard TAnev

Alberts

Schneider

Ellis

Luongo to Florida for Stephen Weiss a 2nd and a 3rd round pick.

WE sign Dan Ellis to back up Schneids and play 15 games. And hope to god he wins atleast half of them.

Weiss is a UFA next year. We would then have major depth down the middle to make a serious run at the cup.

Use one buyout clause this summer on Keith Ballard or David Booth if either of them craps the bed this year. Or buy them both out. Give Edler his raise. Do not re-sign Higgins or Raymond and see is we can somehow land Corey Perry this summer.

Next years starting lineup would look like this

Sedin Sedin Perry

Burrows Kesler KAssian

Jensen Lappy Hansen

Volpatti MAlhotra Weise/Pinnozotto

Schroeder

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler GArrison

Connaughton Tanev

UFA

Schneider

Lack

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Lapierre-Raymond

Booth-Malhotra-Hansen

Volpatti-Weise-Kassian

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrisson

Tanev-Ballard

I think Higgins-Lappierre-Raymond would make a solid 2 day second line. They dont have a pure scorer, or go to guy, but you just know they will work. I know were paying Booth to be a second line scorer, but he has not shown the ability to gel with any of our player except Kesler from time to time. Also, I know Weise isnt a centre, but that fourth line could work. Im not sold on Schroeder on the second line, or anywhere on this team yet for that matter.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Higgins-Burrows

Raymond-Lapierre-Hansen

Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

Thats with the team we have now. D and goaltending are pretty straight forward. Could put Schoeder on 3rd and but Lappy down and have Ebbet/Weise as the 13th.

Still think we need a solid depth defenseman. The way things are now, if one of our top 4 goes down, things start to get pretty bad.

Say Edler goes down:

Hamhuis Bieksa

Ballard Garrison

Alberts Tanev

I think we need one more solid NHLer. If we could get Komisarek back in a trade with half of his cap hit (2.25 mil), I think it would solidify our D.

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Ballard Komisarek

That way, every D-man could move up one pairing, and it would still be a pretty solid core.

Hey all, it's been a while since I've done this, and I know it's probably pretty early but I'm stoked on the season opener. How do you think our lineup will look with Kesler more than likely out to start the season? I think it'll look a little something like this:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Schroeder - Higgins (Still the American Express line, and this is definitely Schroeder's time to shine)

Raymond - Lapierre - Kassian

Hansen - Malhotra - Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts

Schneider

Now, it's entirely possible I forgot someone, and I don't think Kass would get the nod on the third line over Hansen, but I think Kassian has a lot of potential and shouldn't be on a fourth line. Certainly we have a decent amount of depth that Kassian, who is arguably one of our top prospects right now, can barely fit into the roster. Of course, we're a ways away from seeing the actual opening night rosters but this is CDC (long-time reader, first-time poster), and we love to speculate! How do you guys think/want the opening night roster to look like?

Archived