The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo/Random Thoughts (merged)

nuck luck

I just read an article on Sportsnet http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/01/07/rfas_nhl_2013_unsigned/ and it got me thinking...

A lot of the teams that wanted a true #1 keeper will still have their eyes on Lou and some teams that weren't in the picture might be VERY interested after this season is over...

1) What if the "known" teams that were interested in Lou picked up one of these RFA this season or picked up a RFA in the summer of 2013 (rich market):

P.K. Subban

Jamie Benn

M. Del Zotto

Ryan O'Reilly

Cody Franson

Dmitry Kulikov

Brett MacLean

Nick Palmieri

Nick Petrecki

James Sheppard

I wonder which of their players would now be considered tradable? And yes... the Panthers and Leafs both have a player in the above list.

I don't think there is any doubt that the Flyers will use one of their Compliance Buyouts on Bryz and this would make them hungry for a true #1 keeper... We know their desperate for an upgrade here, and I would love to see a few players wearing a Nucks jersey :)

MG might be better off holding onto Lou for the season. We might get a better ROI if we wait until summer because of all the RFA. I would feel a whole lot better if we kept the tandem in a shortened season anyways :)

TSN is reporting that Marc Bergevin is working hard to re-sign Subban.

No way does Dallas let Jamie Benn (one of the best up and coming power forwards in the league) go away for nothing.

It's an interesting possibility - but before anything happens the new CBA will need to be ratified and figured out.

It could totally change the approach of teams now. We'll see.

My guess is that Lou will be traded (he'd be too much of a distraction) shortly after training camp.

Imagine if Lou was around, Schneider stumbles and Lou plays and does well and then is traded - fickle fans would be irate.

I find it hard to see Lou here for the season - there are pros and cons (have 2 top goalies) but I think mentally he's checked out.

I agree that Philly, rolling in money and desperate to improve their back end, are very likely to become one of the players interested in Luongo now that the new CBA has given them very favourable terms for divorcing Bryz's contract.

I would be surprised if Holmgren isn't inquiring about both Luo and Edler.

It could get really interesting.

I thought Philly would be a dark horse in this, and with the buyout option, it makes a lot of sense.

Luongo for Couturier and Matt Read.

I agree that Philly, rolling in money and desperate to improve their back end, are very likely to become one of the players interested in Luongo now that the new CBA has given them very favourable terms for divorcing Bryz's contract.

I would be surprised if Holmgren isn't inquiring about both Luo and Edler.

It could get really interesting.

I thought Philly would be a dark horse in this, and with the buyout option, it makes a lot of sense.

Luongo for Couturier and Matt Read.

We'll accept nothing short of Claude Giroux in return for Luongo. B)

That's an interesting thought though, the Bryzgalov buyout thing. I doubt they'll do it though--even though they should. I don't think they'll be winning a cup with Bryzgalov in net, he makes Luongo look like Quick in the playoffs. Which is a shame, because the Flyers have a great team otherwise. I enjoy watching them.

Well with the lockout behind us, there is still the question as to what the Canucks will do about beleaguered superstar Roberto Luongo. How they handle the guy, where they trade him and what they get in return will ultimately dictate how the season will unfold.

Before I go further, I will say that I was and more or less still am in favour of keeping him in Vancouver. I'm hoping that after the lockout that all Luongo haters will have time to forget his miserable performances and take time to recall what he has done for this team. The man has elevated the franchise to levels winning levels that Canuck nation could only dream of since he arrived (49 wins in his first season, two Presidents Trophies, one Stanley Cup final). These accomplishments helped establish his place here, but his participation in the Olympics immortalized it, when he was the sole CANUCK player for the Canadian Olympic hockey team that won gold on CANUCK ice. He deserves more respect than what the fans gave him.

Still, if we have to trade Luongo, I have several ideas that seem viable:

Luongo, Kesler, and Ballard (and possibly the Tanev brothers) to Detroit for Zetterberg, Kronwall, Howard and a first-rounder.

Pie in the sky, never going to happen. That's what most of you are thinking, and to an extent I agree. But let's look at the deal from Detroit's angle and we'll see why it makes sense. Long story short, they are a shadow of their glory years now, especially with Lidstrom's retirement, pundits had them finishing as low as seventh. They've done a good job adding speed, youth, and grit, but really opponents, especially their division rivals, they know the Wings too well, just pressure Zetterberg physically. They'll survive, but they'll certainly not contend for the Cup without a major trade.

With this deal, they will dramatically change the personality of the team adding three Cup-hungry competitors to a team that had a reputation for knowing how to win. Luongo is still an elite goaltender who can help fill the hole left by Lidstrom, and stick it to the Hawks, plus Babcock would love to have his Olympic goaltender playing for him in the NHL. Ballard has great potential, but just never could make it happen in Vancouver - playing for Detroit and under Babcock should make a difference, he could ultimately match Kronwall. Michigan-born Kesler will change the face of their forwards with his speed, grit and energy. In short, these guys could be a breath of fresh air and reinvorate their team.

For us, few introductions are needed. Zetterberg will provide a strong second line behind the Sedins, and give us a top-six never seen since the early 90s. Howard can share the net 50:50 with Schneider and keep him fresh. And Kronwall could pair with Edler to give a top-flight defensive pairing, the two could combine intelligence, speed, two-way prowess and real Swedish grit. Most importantly, their experience could put the Nucks over the top.

Luongo, Kesler, and Ballard (and possibly the Tanev brothers) to Detroit for Zetterberg, Kronwall, Howard and a first-rounder.

So a goalie who at this point is really no more valuable than Howard, a solid defensive center with the ability to score goals, a 6th or 7th d-man, and an unproven d-man FOR a superstar center who can do it all, a top 2 defenseman, a #1 goalie, and a first-rounder.

Detroit would never do this deal...and they just named Zetterberg captain so....

Archived