The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo/Random Thoughts (merged)

nuck luck

Luongo, Kesler, and Ballard (and possibly the Tanev brothers) to Detroit for Zetterberg, Kronwall, Howard and a first-rounder.

So a goalie who at this point is really no more valuable than Howard, a solid defensive center with the ability to score goals, a 6th or 7th d-man, and an unproven d-man FOR a superstar center who can do it all, a top 2 defenseman, a #1 goalie, and a first-rounder.

Detroit would never do this deal...and they just named Zetterberg captain so....

Alright fair enough, I understand.

Zetterberg > Kesler

Kronwall > Ballard

Howard + 1st > Luongo

Kronwall will probably be there top defensemen.

Zetterberg is there captain.

and Howard is plenty capable & giving up in other areas to get a slight upgrade in Lu (which might not be a huge upgrade in the big picture) isn't worth giving up Kronwall, Zetterberg for lesser players, adding a 1st doesn't help matters.

I am beyond excited for the Schneider era to begin. We drafted and developed him almost to perfection. Luingo was a big reason for that and I thank him. But its time for my boy Schneidz to take us to the promise land.

"A little bit of Jannik Hansen"

I am beyond excited for the Schneider era to begin. We drafted and developed him almost to perfection. Luingo was a big reason for that and I thank him. But its time for my boy Schneidz to take us to the promise land.

"A little bit of Jannik Hansen"

All right, well I can give you this - they just might prefer to stand pact wait the five years for their prospects to develop before they contend again. One way or another, they're not considered contenders this season. In which case, we should find other alternate ideas, but it doesn't hurt to consider this one.

I've already stated why Luongo is potentially better than Howard and how Ballard + Tanev is better than Kronwall, but except for areas of grit and energy, I will agree that Zetterberg > Kesler.

Who has money to spend in the NHL out of Edmonton Florida and Toronto? Who is cray enough to throw prospects out the door at the sniff of a playoff appearance right now in a shortened season where Playoff games in their market equal millions per home game win or lose? If you guessed Florida you have won a round trip ticket to the brain where this thread was created...

I don't care what people say about who wants what, if the lockout proved anything it's that this league is about money... MONEY and the ones with the money who want more money are going to trade for Luongo who costs a lot of Money. Edmonton has enough young guys evevn after the new contracts for their current top liners to get Luongo and buy him out. MG won't put him across the rockies unless it's a ridiculous deal coming back, so I wouldn't count on that.

The Leafs... Where do we start with them, some would say the closer to the finish the better, and I would be one, expect for the fact that we might be getting a player or 2 from their system. Burke likes to make deals we all know that... so to sum this up quickly and get to the end, were not trading with detroit based upon money and we are 75% trading with TO , 10% with Edmonton, 8% with Florida and 7% with any other team. I have no clue what we will get back just like everybody else on CDC.

To finish if somehow the person who made this thread is right and the detroit trade happens I will make a thread commemorating your genius...

Derp...

Well with the lockout behind us, there is still the question as to what the Canucks will do about beleaguered superstar Roberto Luongo. How they handle the guy, where they trade him and what they get in return will ultimately dictate how the season will unfold.

Before I go further, I will say that I was and more or less still am in favour of keeping him in Vancouver. I'm hoping that after the lockout that all Luongo haters will have time to forget his miserable performances and take time to recall what he has done for this team. The man has elevated the franchise to levels winning levels that Canuck nation could only dream of since he arrived (49 wins in his first season, two Presidents Trophies, one Stanley Cup final). These accomplishments helped establish his place here, but his participation in the Olympics immortalized it, when he was the sole CANUCK player for the Canadian Olympic hockey team that won gold on CANUCK ice. He deserves more respect than what the fans gave him.

Still, if we have to trade Luongo, I have several ideas that seem viable:

Luongo, Kesler, and Ballard (and possibly the Tanev brothers) to Detroit for Zetterberg, Kronwall, Howard and a first-rounder.

Pie in the sky, never going to happen. That's what most of you are thinking, and to an extent I agree. But let's look at the deal from Detroit's angle and we'll see why it makes sense. Long story short, they are a shadow of their glory years now, especially with Lidstrom's retirement, pundits had them finishing as low as seventh. They've done a good job adding speed, youth, and grit, but really opponents, especially their division rivals, they know the Wings too well, just pressure Zetterberg physically. They'll survive, but they'll certainly not contend for the Cup without a major trade.

With this deal, they will dramatically change the personality of the team adding three Cup-hungry competitors to a team that had a reputation for knowing how to win. Luongo is still an elite goaltender who can help fill the hole left by Lidstrom, and stick it to the Hawks, plus Babcock would love to have his Olympic goaltender playing for him in the NHL. Ballard has great potential, but just never could make it happen in Vancouver - playing for Detroit and under Babcock should make a difference, he could ultimately match Kronwall. Michigan-born Kesler will change the face of their forwards with his speed, grit and energy. In short, these guys could be a breath of fresh air and reinvorate their team.

For us, few introductions are needed. Zetterberg will provide a strong second line behind the Sedins, and give us a top-six never seen since the early 90s. Howard can share the net 50:50 with Schneider and keep him fresh. And Kronwall could pair with Edler to give a top-flight defensive pairing, the two could combine intelligence, speed, two-way prowess and real Swedish grit. Most importantly, their experience could put the Nucks over the top.

1 - This belongs in armchair GMing where the rest of the stupid lopsided trade ideas are.

2 - Howard played 2 more games than Lou last season and had 5 more wins, a better GAA, a better S% and more shutouts. He's also younger and cheaper. Why on earth would they want Lou instead?

3 - Kesler and Zetterberg are about equivalent.

4 - Ballard? Detroit needs a castoff for a game changer like Kronwall?

5 - I don't think this trade would even go in EA world unless you were Detroit.

Summary - Wrong forum, and deal badly lopsided in our favor without them giving us their 1st round pick.

Archived