The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo/Random Thoughts (merged)

nuck luck

I agree that Philly, rolling in money and desperate to improve their back end, are very likely to become one of the players interested in Luongo now that the new CBA has given them very favourable terms for divorcing Bryz's contract.

I would be surprised if Holmgren isn't inquiring about both Luo and Edler.

It could get really interesting.

I thought Philly would be a dark horse in this, and with the buyout option, it makes a lot of sense.

Luongo for Couturier and Matt Read.

I would be much more comfortable with a deal involving a winning team (philly, detroit) than a losing team (Toronto, Florida) because the chances of getting winning players is drastically increased.

The difference between Booth and Samuelsson might just be the team they played for prior to arriving in Vancouver. Coincidentally, the Panthers made the playoffs last year; Samuelsson was on that team.

I don't want him to go to the Leafs for one reason only...I just can't bare the thought of having to listen to the Toronto based media for the next few years hypocritically lauding him as the second coming after spending the last few years ripping him when he played for us, then mocking us on the west coast for ever letting him go. Can you imagine the media frenzy in Toronto if Lui played well and got them to the playoffs? I mean, the eastern media is already following him down in Florida and he's still a Canuck . For this reason, I'd really prefer we trade him to Florida where he could quietly play out the last few years of his career.

I don't want him to go to the Leafs for one reason only...I just can't bare the thought of having to listen to the Toronto based media for the next few years hypocritically lauding him as the second coming after spending the last few years ripping him when he played for us, then mocking us on the west coast for ever letting him go. Can you imagine the media frenzy in Toronto if Lui played well and got them to the playoffs? I mean, the eastern media is already following him down in Florida and he's still a Canuck . For this reason, I'd really prefer we trade him to Florida where he could quietly play out the last few years of his career.

Swedish grit? Things such as this... do not exist.Riviera

Lidstrom-4 cups,6 Norris'

Forsberg-2 cups,Hart,Art Ross,Calder

10 medals for international/Olympic play,including 4 gold medals

Ranked fourth all-time in NHL career assists-per-game with 0.901, behind only Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and Bobby Orr.

With his second Olympic Gold in 2006 he became the third player in history to have enough titles to be a member of the Triple Gold Club twice (the others being Viacheslav Fetisov and Igor Larionov).

Before there was Alexander the Great there was Peter the Great, and this slick stickhandling Swede is among the most talented players the league has ever seen. Few players in NHL history could dominate with the puck down low like Foppa could when he was in his prime. Not only did he have incredible hands, but he didn't shy away from the physical side of the game either, smashing opponents to the ice during fierce puck battles. Unfortunately, this physical style of play led to an injury plagued career, which has kept Forsberg from putting up even more incredible numbers. Still, his career stats aren't anything to sneeze at. He has 885 points and is a whopping +242 in just 706 NHL games. He has been even better in the playoffs, pouring in 171 career playoff points, the most by a Swedish born palyer, in helping Colorado to 2 Stanley Cups. Though a chronic foot problem may have permanently derailed Forsberg’s NHL career, there is no question he is one of the best players of all time, of any nationality.

You're absolutely right. The tune would drastically change from "never will win a cup" and "if they lose its his fault, if they win its in spite of him" to "Vancouver was stupid to let to of such an incredible goaltender" and " without Luongo, the Leafs would never have made the playoffs".

Lets face it, it is a coup.

People can say they want to keep Luongo for a cup run but the problem is with Kesler's issues it's hard to imagine the Canucks winning the Cup while being so weak down the middle. I also think the Canucks would like to get Luongo's contract off the books while he's healthy and not risk him being untradeable because of injury.

First and foremost I want the Canucks to get the most they can get for Luo, but I gotta say I would love to see the craziness that would result from him going to Toronto. :P

I would much rather my brother from anuter mudder loungo, mark my words, vancouver will miss the best thing they've had since mclean, exception for the sedins,,,,,, but loungo is my favorite goalie of all time and will be missed, enter schieds(welcome to hell for goalies).....

Yes, even more so I think. The lockout was almost a relief with all the craziness surrounding the Canucks the last few years. I wouldn't have minded much if they'd waited til fall for a new deal. But trading away Lu, I mean for one, he's still a top ten goalie in the league and proven, many times over.

We'll never get adequate return via trade against what Lu is capable of. Based on rumours, if he's traded it'll like as not be to a major rival, which I hate - why would we hand the Leafs a playoff spot like that? We don't like them! If a guy you hated offered you three dollars in quarters for a five-dollar bill, you might hit him, you certainly wouldn't take the deal!

If Lu goes, it's the end of an era for Vancouver, like it was the end of the WCE and the start of the Luongo years when Bertuzzi went to Florida. If it happens, it'll be remembered as the best the Canucks have ever been, the Luongo era, an unprecedented level of success. But go ahead and throw it all away for some pie-in-the-sky future possibilities if you want.

The strange paradox here is that we are getting rid of a goalie who has arguably just entered his prime. In his place we are proposing a goalie who MIGHT be as good (or even better) but who knows?

I challenge any one of you to say he knows that Schneider will be the equal to Lu.

The normal scenario would be for Lu to retire and hand over the mantle to Schneids but Lu is nowhere near the retirement stage. Worse still is that the team has a situation that for Cory to really prove himself it should be without the "mental crutch" of having one of the best goalies in the League to fall back on if he craps the bed.

Also, if Lu goes, how much will we have to give up to get a reliable back-up............as I personally think we will need one. Lack is far from ready imo.

One more thing. Our defence is elite ...........going forward, but they have relied on Lu for years to get away with that style. If Schneider can't replicate Lu's feats on a nightly basis we are going to have to invest in a big "clear out the trash" D. Something imo we should have done right after the SC Finals of 10-11. That was the least Lu deserved but instead he was pilloried and made the scapegoat.

Swedish grit? Things such as this... do not exist.Riviera

Lidstrom-4 cups,6 Norris'

Forsberg-2 cups,Hart,Art Ross,Calder

10 medals for international/Olympic play,including 4 gold medals

Ranked fourth all-time in NHL career assists-per-game with 0.901, behind only Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and Bobby Orr.

With his second Olympic Gold in 2006 he became the third player in history to have enough titles to be a member of the Triple Gold Club twice (the others being Viacheslav Fetisov and Igor Larionov).

Before there was Alexander the Great there was Peter the Great, and this slick stickhandling Swede is among the most talented players the league has ever seen. Few players in NHL history could dominate with the puck down low like Foppa could when he was in his prime. Not only did he have incredible hands, but he didn't shy away from the physical side of the game either, smashing opponents to the ice during fierce puck battles. Unfortunately, this physical style of play led to an injury plagued career, which has kept Forsberg from putting up even more incredible numbers. Still, his career stats aren't anything to sneeze at. He has 885 points and is a whopping +242 in just 706 NHL games. He has been even better in the playoffs, pouring in 171 career playoff points, the most by a Swedish born palyer, in helping Colorado to 2 Stanley Cups. Though a chronic foot problem may have permanently derailed Forsberg’s NHL career, there is no question he is one of the best players of all time, of any nationality.

Archived