The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks showed interest in Tom Kostopoulos, Arnott to sign by end of week

elvis15

News 1130 was talking with a number of agents this morning apparently:

@News1130Sports The agent for u-f-a Jason Arnott tells us this morning that his client will sign by the end of this week.

Agent Wade Arnott held discussions last summer with the #VAN about brother Jason. Wade still feels Vancouver is a good fit for Jason.

The #Canucks also talked with agent Jerome Buckely about u-f-a Tom Kostopoulos last summer.

Buckely tells us this morning that the #Canucks like his client as a player.

News 1130 was talking with a number of agents this morning apparently:

We all knew about the Arnott discussions, and now the Cam Barker rumours that started yesterday, but I hadn't heard anything about Kostopoulos. Kostopoulos most recently played for the Flames with 12 points in 81 games and 124 hits. You might remember him from his most recent suspension for the hit that broke Brad Stuart's jaw.

We all knew about the Arnott discussions, and now the Cam Barker rumours that started yesterday, but I hadn't heard anything about Kostopoulos. Kostopoulos most recently played for the Flames with 12 points in 81 games and 124 hits. You might remember him from his most recent suspension for the hit that broke Brad Stuart's jaw

Arnott would be nice, we're going to need someone who can put up 30, 40 or even 50 points from center. Hodgson's 20 goals and 40 points from the 3rd line were never replaced, and that's what Arnott would bring us. Obviously he'd be a good temporary replacement for Kesler too. Plus, with everyone in the mix we have extra centers which is how you win Cups these days - center depth. Boston did it with something like 7 centers, as did Los Angeles with so many of their wingers natural centers. Right now we only really have 4 NHL centers, 3 without Kesler.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Hansen - Arnott - Raymond

Kassian - Malhotra - Lapierre

Kostopoulos - It'll probably be a PTO right? He'll challenge Volpatti/Weise for their spots, but I can't see us outright signing him to a one way.

Arnott - I'm not entirely sold on an old, slower skater on this team full of speed. I'd much rather have Schroeder get a real shot at that 2nd line spot rather than compete with an old vet.

Either way, I hope neither of these contracts are definitive 1 ways.

I remember him KO'n bieksa i think, Wasnt that him? Man that was the most heartbreaking thing I ever saw. When Bieksa is mad and hes got that look in his eyes, he's my favorite player in the world lol. Seeing him get punched out I wanted to cry haha

Kostopoulos is being underrated here. He will be far more effective than Jason Arnott. Great team player, will stick up for em, and is basically a perfect grinder. Arnott is a bit slow now for the NHL, perhaps the shorten NHL season will help him but Arnott should be a guy who takes rest. He's pretty damn slow and old now, so after 30 games he'll be out of gas. People need to realize that Arnott isn't the same player he once was. That being said, I suppose you need someone to fill in for Kesler. Who knows? If Arnott signs for cheap, maybe he can be thrown with the Twins when Kesler is back. Anson Carter wasn't fast either. If it's true Luongo gets dealt for Bozak, I don't know how you can fit Arnott on this team.

The Canucks have been missing a guy like Kostopoulos for a while now. With the Twins being knocked down all the time, you gotta have a guy who knows their role and does their job. Kassian shouldn't be that guy. Kost will be much more effective than Dale Weiss.

Kostopoulos is being underrated here. He will be far more effective than Jason Arnott. Great team player, will stick up for em, and is basically a perfect grinder. Arnott is a bit slow now for the NHL, perhaps the shorten NHL season will help him but Arnott should be a guy who takes rest. He's pretty damn slow and old now, so after 30 games he'll be out of gas. People need to realize that Arnott isn't the same player he once was. That being said, I suppose you need someone to fill in for Kesler. Who knows? If Arnott signs for cheap, maybe he can be thrown with the Twins when Kesler is back. Anson Carter wasn't fast either. If it's true Luongo gets dealt for Bozak, I don't know how you can fit Arnott on this team.

The Canucks have been missing a guy like Kostopoulos for a while now. With the Twins being knocked down all the time, you gotta have a guy who knows their role and does their job. Kassian shouldn't be that guy. Kost will be much more effective than Dale Weiss.

Considering cost as well, and the role Kostopoulos would be competing for (4th line winger), would he really be more effective? Weise did a good job in mainly defensive zone minutes with Lappy and Manny last year, all for $600K. Kostopoulos made $1.1M with Calgary (had a cap hit of $900K).

Only salary more than either $900K or $1M (I misremember which with all the new CBA details flying around) would could against the NHL cap. Weise would certainly be under that, but Kostopoulos might not be if he signed a one way with us.

Kost is a much better player than Weise. I don't think Weise is fitted for the role he is playing. Kost fits the role, plus he can be on the PK. Something Weise never really did.( I don't remember it anyways).

Though, I think the player who intrigues me the most right now is Steve Pinizzotto.

this news is not gonna impress django ^_^

I like it, Kostopolous is kinda confusing because we already have Pinozotto,Wiese and Volpatti all competing for 1 spot.

Once Kesler gets healthy the lineup looks preety solid.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Kesler - Booth

Higgins - Arnott - Hansen

Weise - Lappiere - Kassian

Archived