Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Rumour] Canucks showed interest in Tom Kostopoulos, Arnott to sign by end of week

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#61 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

POPULAR

I'd like to get some regular nhlers to fill out our bottom 6. Arnott is an upgrade on volpatti, Weiss, pinozotto- what about Kastspolous?

Posted Image

/=S=/

#62 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Still think we over-payed for Garrison.

And that has to do with this thread, how?

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#63 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

I like to call him: Can'tstopafish. Always have, always will.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#64 Canucks fan in chicago

Canucks fan in chicago

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Well I'm saying we could have signed Arnott and Kostopolous BEFORE the lockout had we had more cap space.

#65 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Well I'm saying we could have signed Arnott and Kostopolous BEFORE the lockout had we had more cap space.

We still can, but it would likely mean Raymond would be on his way out with Luongo.

We have too many forwards as it stands right now anyways.

Posted Image

#66 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,194 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Or rather that we could have signed them before signing Garrison, which we did on the first day of free agency this summer. After that, we would have had the same amount of cap space prior to the lockout as we do now, except in your proposal, we don't have someone to replace Salo and his shot.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#67 JesseBlue

JesseBlue

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

I like to call him: Can'tstopafish. Always have, always will.

are you sure its not cantstandya?

#68 Drop Em

Drop Em

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Put him with a couple fast players and he'll be fine? Then his speed will be even more noticeable and be even more of a problem. Now youre asking Higgins/Hansen to take up two positions while Arnott is slugging back.

Oh and if you watched any Blues games, which im assuming you haven't, most of Arnott's goals aren't exactly the prettiest. Most of them were easy tap ins or wrist shots without a goalie there.. maybe 10 of them were actual goals. 7 of them were goals i could have scored with my eyes closed lol. Playing with Berglund definitely helped too.

Who cares if he scores pretty goals or not? Since when does a pretty goal count for more than a tap in, wrist shot, or a goal that is scored off of straight old hard work in the corners or by standing in front of the net with a deflection? Answer.....IT DOESN'T! In fact, more goals are scored in the playoffs that aren't pretty goals than are and that's when it really counts.....and the Canucks can always use more of those types of blue collar goals, especially in the playoffs.

#69 Drop Em

Drop Em

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

LOL

Yeah, cause Bozak/Goc/Matthias will be the centerpiece coming back in a Luongo trade, good one.

EDIT: I think you're also forgetting that Raymond can play center. Not very well, but with some help on faceoffs form Manny, he can become an excellent 3C.

What????????? "EDIT: I think you're also forgetting that Raymond can play center. Not very well, but with some help on faceoffs form Manny, he can become an excellent 3C"..........................Raymond can play centre but not very well? Andrew Alberts can play forward too but not very well, so how does that help the Canucks? And even if Raymond took some pointers from Manny on faceoffs, there's much more to playing centre than just faceoffs. Don't you think that if they thought that Raymond would become such an excellent 3rd line centre, as you suggest, that they would have made every effort to try him there for a prolonged period of time already?

#70 Drop Em

Drop Em

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

I really don't want to see Kostopolous on the Canucks. Although he beat Bieksa in that fight a couple of years ago, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while and aside from Weise, he's probably the worst fighter in the NHL and I'd like to see the team get a guy who can handle himself and his teamates instead of a guy that nobody is going to worry about losing too. I'd much rather see Bitz on the team than Kostopolous. I'm all for bringing in Vandermeer as a 7th d-man too.

#71 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

What????????? "EDIT: I think you're also forgetting that Raymond can play center. Not very well, but with some help on faceoffs form Manny, he can become an excellent 3C"..........................Raymond can play centre but not very well? Andrew Alberts can play forward too but not very well, so how does that help the Canucks? And even if Raymond took some pointers from Manny on faceoffs, there's much more to playing centre than just faceoffs. Don't you think that if they thought that Raymond would become such an excellent 3rd line centre, as you suggest, that they would have made every effort to try him there for a prolonged period of time already?

:lol: this line was brilliant.

We still can, but it would likely mean Raymond would be on his way out with Luongo.

We have too many forwards as it stands right now anyways.

I would rather keep Raymond than sign Kostopoulos.

We have players like Kostopoulos, who can step in and play that role, but if we lose 2 offensive forwards in the playoffs without Raymond, that would see Lappierre, Hansen, possibly Malhotra in permanent top 6 roles.

zackass.png

#72 mrsasaki

mrsasaki

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

Arnott to Dallas doesn't make much sense to me. They've got a solid bottom six of Fiddler, Morrow, Eakin, Nystrom, Vincour, and Wandell. You would think they would be looking for a defenseman instead.

Eriksson - Benn - Jagr
Whitney - Roy - Ryder
Eakin - Fiddler - Morrow
Nystrom - Vincour - Wandell

Robidas - Goligoski
Daley - Fistric
Larsen - Rome

Need another top-4 dman instead of Fistric. Maybe their just going for the oldest roster in the league. In that case why not sign Pavel Kubina.
CDC Sim Connected: Nashville GM
LOB (PS3): Boston GM

#73 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

:sadno:
:towel:

#74 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

Kostopoulos is being underrated here. He will be far more effective than Jason Arnott. Great team player, will stick up for em, and is basically a perfect grinder. Arnott is a bit slow now for the NHL, perhaps the shorten NHL season will help him but Arnott should be a guy who takes rest. He's pretty damn slow and old now, so after 30 games he'll be out of gas. People need to realize that Arnott isn't the same player he once was. That being said,  I suppose you need someone to fill in for Kesler. Who knows? If Arnott signs for cheap, maybe he can be thrown with the Twins when Kesler is back. Anson Carter wasn't fast either. If it's true Luongo gets dealt for Bozak, I don't know how you can fit Arnott on this team.

The Canucks have been missing a guy like Kostopoulos for a while now. With the Twins being knocked down all the time, you gotta have a guy who knows their role and does their job. Kassian shouldn't be that guy. Kost will be much more effective than Dale Weiss.

+1.

Kostopoulos is a beast that I've wanted to pry out of Calgary for a while now. He's the type of guy you'd HATE to play a 7-game series against. And we need more of those guys - proven ones, not just young hopefuls like Weise, Volpatti, etc.
Posted Image

#75 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

I would rather keep Raymond than sign Kostopoulos.

We have players like Kostopoulos, who can step in and play that role, but if we lose 2 offensive forwards in the playoffs without Raymond, that would see Lappierre, Hansen, possibly Malhotra in permanent top 6 roles.

Fun fact: Tom Kostopoulos has more goals in his 16 career playoff games (3) than Mason Raymond has had in his last 29 (2).

I have no qualms with 'regular season Raymond', but he's been pretty useless in the playoffs.
Posted Image

#76 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 70,639 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

@News1130Sports: Wade still believe's his 38 year old free agent brother Jason will sign before training camp.

307mg00.jpg

#77 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,194 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

+1.

Kostopoulos is a beast that I've wanted to pry out of Calgary for a while now. He's the type of guy you'd HATE to play a 7-game series against. And we need more of those guys - proven ones, not just young hopefuls like Weise, Volpatti, etc.

The only issue I have with that is with a dropping cap (at least short term) we need to find good value in our depth players. If we're going to give raises to Lappy and Higgins, and still have all the salary we do in our top players, then the extras won't be able to cost that much.

Shawn Thornton or Steve Ott would be great as well, but could we afford them with all our other high priced players? Granted, Kostopoulos could take a value contract short term over no contract at all, but if he doesn't then I'm not sure we'd have the room for him.

Fun fact: Tom Kostopoulos has more goals in his 16 career playoff games (3) than Mason Raymond has had in his last 29 (2).

I have no qualms with 'regular season Raymond', but he's been pretty useless in the playoffs.

I can agree with that. Considering cost like I did above, Raymond at $2+M is not as good a value as Kostopoulos would be at $1M, considering both would be likely to be in our bottom 6. Raymond might make the top 6 if Kassian or someone else can't take the role on, but I wouldn't keep him around as a just in case since I am comfortable with Hansen or Lapierre coming in, or using Ebbett or one of our prospects short term.

Comparing Kostopoulos to a $600K depth guy in the same 4th line role is a different story, as I mentioned above.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#78 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

The only issue I have with that is with a dropping cap (at least short term) we need to find good value in our depth players. If we're going to give raises to Lappy and Higgins, and still have all the salary we do in our top players, then the extras won't be able to cost that much.

Shawn Thornton or Steve Ott would be great as well, but could we afford them with all our other high priced players? Granted, Kostopoulos could take a value contract short term over no contract at all, but if he doesn't then I'm not sure we'd have the room for him.

I can agree with that. Considering cost like I did above, Raymond at $2+M is not as good a value as Kostopoulos would be at $1M, considering both would be likely to be in our bottom 6. Raymond might make the top 6 if Kassian or someone else can't take the role on, but I wouldn't keep him around as a just in case since I am comfortable with Hansen or Lapierre coming in, or using Ebbett or one of our prospects short term.

Comparing Kostopoulos to a $600K depth guy in the same 4th line role is a different story, as I mentioned above.

Kostopoulos's cap hit on his last contract was $916,667. Although a solid roll player, I doubt any team would break the bank on him.

I'd expect him to be in the 1.2-1.5 range on this contract. And on this team, I think he'd be more valuable than Raymond - cap savings would be gravy.
Posted Image

#79 VegasCanuck

VegasCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Have seen a few people post about less cap space. We have the same cap space this year as we had before the lockout. Teams are still allowed to run to the 70 million cap (prorated). The cap doesn't actually drop until next year.

All contracts this year are prorated and the fact that players revenue drops immediate to 50/50 will be handled through the escrow account. They will receive less back from Escrow to make up the difference.

#80 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Still if we lose a few players who would you rather have in the top 6? Raymond or Kostopoulos?

We have a number of players that can play the same role TK can so Idk why we would spend the money to do it.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 09 January 2013 - 04:54 PM.

zackass.png

#81 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

TKO is a team player first and foremost. He forechecks hard and finishes his checks. He will drop the mitts if needed, one solid grinder.

>>>> Weise

also

Edited by Sven Baertschi, 09 January 2013 - 05:01 PM.

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#82 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Still if we lose a few players who would you rather have in the top 6? Raymond or Kostopoulos?

We have a number of players that can play the same role TK can so Idk why we would spend the money to do it.

Sedin
Sedin
Burrows
Kesler
Booth
Higgins
Hansen
Lapierre
Kassian...

IMO, we're already set with players who can play a top-6 role, even without Raymond; not to mention possible trades/signings/prospects coming. So that point is moot.

What we could use is someone who can play the 4th-line roll to perfection. And that guy is Tom Kostopoulos.
Posted Image

#83 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Sedin
Sedin
Burrows
Kesler
Booth
Higgins
Hansen
Lapierre
Kassian...

IMO, we're already set with players who can play a top-6 role, even without Raymond; not to mention possible trades/signings/prospects coming. So that point is moot.

What we could use is someone who can play the 4th-line roll to perfection. And that guy is Tom Kostopoulos.

Okay so lets say those 2 go down.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Kassian - Kesler - Hansen

Then the trickle down affect on the 3rd line.

Malhtora - Lappierre - Kassian

That was pretty much our 4th line last year, then the 4th lines is useless.

Kostopoulous isn't a need, we have players like him, Weise earned himself a 1 way deal, he is younger and had some good moments, he also would most likely be cheaper, Pinnizzotto was great in camp last year then he got hurt and lost his spot. I would love to see him get a chance, Volpatti also lost his potential spot due to injuries.

I would rather not add another 1 Milliion to add someone we don't really need in Kostopoulos and just keep our offensive depth in Raymond and perhaps he can play better.

zackass.png

#84 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 70,639 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

Indications are Canucks will pass on Jason Arnott:

VANCOUVER - It seems the Canucks' interest in free agent veteran centre Jason Arnott has cooled.

Late last summer, the Canucks were talking to Arnott's agent, his brother Wade Arnott, about signing the 38-year-old.

They saw Arnott as a possible upgrade as a third-line centre and someone who could fill in for injured second-line centre Ryan Kesler.

But Wade Arnott said Wednesday he senses the Canucks' interest has waned.

"My sense is that it isn't a front-burner priority for them," he said. "My sense is that they have a few other things that they are looking at, obviously one big one (trading Roberto Luongo) that you are well aware of. And I think they have to let that play itself out before they go from there."

Jason Arnott has been skating during the lockout near his Dallas-area home. He had 17 goals and 34 points with the St. Louis Blues last season and has now logged 1,244 regular-season games.

His brother said there has been considerable interest from other teams.

"Jason does have interest now around the league and it will be interesting to see how it plays out between now and Sunday."

http://www.vancouver...8305/story.html

307mg00.jpg

#85 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Gillis has to wait and see what's available through a Luongo trade before he's going to sign any free agents.

I doubt Arnott would be willing to wait around, and it's unlikely he accepts a PTO.

Posted Image

#86 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

Kostopoulos is a solid 4th liner and I think he's a better player than Volpatti. Arnott is a half-decent stop-gap option at center.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Arnott - Booth
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen
Kostopoulos - Malhotra - Weise
Ebbet

Might be able to get us through until Kesler is back, at which point Arnott becomes a 3rd/4th line center. Also lets us leave Kassian and Schroeder in the AHL, which they need anyway to continue developing.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#87 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

This is a problem for every single team in the NHL. I'd love to fill the team up with stars or scorers but understand that it's unrealistic. Raymond or Kostopoulos? Neither would look good on the top six. In fact, as of right now, in playoff situation that no one on the team is capable of being consistent offensively. That's just how the game is. Typically, it's the hard working checkers who have more success in series match up competition because they have that extra competitive drive.

Those players you listed - Weiss, Pinizzotto, Volpatti may be interesting but none of them will play much time. Only 5 on 5. Kostopoulos can be heavily relied upon on the Penalty Kill. Is it worth the extra cash? Absolutely.

If you don't remember, NJ made the Finals last year because their 4th liners. It does matter. Did Bernier screw them of the Cup? Yeah, but the fans know that if it weren't for them, NJ would have never made it as far as they did.

The Team is missing two pieces. A 2nd line center until Kesler comes back and a 3rd line grinder, who is capable of playing defensive minded hockey and put up a little offense. I love the idea of Kulemin coming over but it's probably not going to happen, It's impossible to find a guy who can slot in the 3rd line and move up to the 2nd line when needed. Bozak? I don't know, maybe? Regardless, once Luongo is unloaded. You'd figure there is more than enough to upgrade the 4th line. After that, there's nothing really else that the team needs.

Edited by Rey, 10 January 2013 - 05:12 AM.

#88 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

They have, ans it worked quite well actually. Lapierre just had to go ans outplay him though.

Canucks are also not into Arnott anymore
Thank God.

Posted Image

#89 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Isn't Kostopolous the biggest punching bag in the league? Something like 7 fight wins in 110 fights or something crazy. He got lucky against Bieksa.
Sig too big.

#90 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Actual goals? Never of heard of actual goals...

Those are the kind of goals that people use to show how much more "right" they are than you.
I saw the same comment "actual goals" and almost shot coffee out of my nose onto my monitor from laughter.
I wonder if Burr's goals count any more or less than Daniel's.
A tap in goal, btw, means you did something very, very right to be in a spot to be uncontested. It's called "high percentage", and there's a reason.
But wouldn't it be interesting if the NHL initiated a 3point shot? I bet there's be a lot less May Ray haters here.
Some people's children.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.