The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks showed interest in Tom Kostopoulos, Arnott to sign by end of week

elvis15

Put him with a couple fast players and he'll be fine? Then his speed will be even more noticeable and be even more of a problem. Now youre asking Higgins/Hansen to take up two positions while Arnott is slugging back.

Oh and if you watched any Blues games, which im assuming you haven't, most of Arnott's goals aren't exactly the prettiest. Most of them were easy tap ins or wrist shots without a goalie there.. maybe 10 of them were actual goals. 7 of them were goals i could have scored with my eyes closed lol. Playing with Berglund definitely helped too.

LOL

Yeah, cause Bozak/Goc/Matthias will be the centerpiece coming back in a Luongo trade, good one.

EDIT: I think you're also forgetting that Raymond can play center. Not very well, but with some help on faceoffs form Manny, he can become an excellent 3C.

I really don't want to see Kostopolous on the Canucks. Although he beat Bieksa in that fight a couple of years ago, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while and aside from Weise, he's probably the worst fighter in the NHL and I'd like to see the team get a guy who can handle himself and his teamates instead of a guy that nobody is going to worry about losing too. I'd much rather see Bitz on the team than Kostopolous. I'm all for bringing in Vandermeer as a 7th d-man too.

What????????? "EDIT: I think you're also forgetting that Raymond can play center. Not very well, but with some help on faceoffs form Manny, he can become an excellent 3C"..........................Raymond can play centre but not very well? Andrew Alberts can play forward too but not very well, so how does that help the Canucks? And even if Raymond took some pointers from Manny on faceoffs, there's much more to playing centre than just faceoffs. Don't you think that if they thought that Raymond would become such an excellent 3rd line centre, as you suggest, that they would have made every effort to try him there for a prolonged period of time already?

Arnott to Dallas doesn't make much sense to me. They've got a solid bottom six of Fiddler, Morrow, Eakin, Nystrom, Vincour, and Wandell. You would think they would be looking for a defenseman instead.

Eriksson - Benn - Jagr

Whitney - Roy - Ryder

Eakin - Fiddler - Morrow

Nystrom - Vincour - Wandell

Robidas - Goligoski

Daley - Fistric

Larsen - Rome

Need another top-4 dman instead of Fistric. Maybe their just going for the oldest roster in the league. In that case why not sign Pavel Kubina.

Kostopoulos is being underrated here. He will be far more effective than Jason Arnott. Great team player, will stick up for em, and is basically a perfect grinder. Arnott is a bit slow now for the NHL, perhaps the shorten NHL season will help him but Arnott should be a guy who takes rest. He's pretty damn slow and old now, so after 30 games he'll be out of gas. People need to realize that Arnott isn't the same player he once was. That being said,  I suppose you need someone to fill in for Kesler. Who knows? If Arnott signs for cheap, maybe he can be thrown with the Twins when Kesler is back. Anson Carter wasn't fast either. If it's true Luongo gets dealt for Bozak, I don't know how you can fit Arnott on this team.

The Canucks have been missing a guy like Kostopoulos for a while now. With the Twins being knocked down all the time, you gotta have a guy who knows their role and does their job. Kassian shouldn't be that guy. Kost will be much more effective than Dale Weiss.

I would rather keep Raymond than sign Kostopoulos.

We have players like Kostopoulos, who can step in and play that role, but if we lose 2 offensive forwards in the playoffs without Raymond, that would see Lappierre, Hansen, possibly Malhotra in permanent top 6 roles.

+1.

Kostopoulos is a beast that I've wanted to pry out of Calgary for a while now. He's the type of guy you'd HATE to play a 7-game series against. And we need more of those guys - proven ones, not just young hopefuls like Weise, Volpatti, etc.

The only issue I have with that is with a dropping cap (at least short term) we need to find good value in our depth players. If we're going to give raises to Lappy and Higgins, and still have all the salary we do in our top players, then the extras won't be able to cost that much.

Shawn Thornton or Steve Ott would be great as well, but could we afford them with all our other high priced players? Granted, Kostopoulos could take a value contract short term over no contract at all, but if he doesn't then I'm not sure we'd have the room for him.

I can agree with that. Considering cost like I did above, Raymond at $2+M is not as good a value as Kostopoulos would be at $1M, considering both would be likely to be in our bottom 6. Raymond might make the top 6 if Kassian or someone else can't take the role on, but I wouldn't keep him around as a just in case since I am comfortable with Hansen or Lapierre coming in, or using Ebbett or one of our prospects short term.

Comparing Kostopoulos to a $600K depth guy in the same 4th line role is a different story, as I mentioned above.

Have seen a few people post about less cap space. We have the same cap space this year as we had before the lockout. Teams are still allowed to run to the 70 million cap (prorated). The cap doesn't actually drop until next year.

All contracts this year are prorated and the fact that players revenue drops immediate to 50/50 will be handled through the escrow account. They will receive less back from Escrow to make up the difference.

Archived