Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Rumour] Canucks showed interest in Tom Kostopoulos, Arnott to sign by end of week

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
128 replies to this topic

#121 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Yesterday:
Andy Strickland@andystrickland
Jason Arnott has recieved interest from a few clubs...will decide over next few days. Told hes fit and ready to go.

Doesn't appear he's coming to us, or I'd think we would have brought him to camp. It seems more likely we'll look to upgrade through trade, if we feel an upgrade is necessary. Might depend on Booth's MRI.

Edited by elvis15, 14 January 2013 - 05:46 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#122 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

maybe he will sign here? we were interest in him so there still a slight chance

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#123 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,556 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Would rather sign Langkow anyways.

zackass.png

#124 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

As a fan I'd like to see Arnott play a John Madden circa 2010-2011 for the Wild type season. Slightly less defensive ability, slightly more offense and a bigger body.

Interesting how after finishing with 31 points he earned a 2,000,000+ contract and now after a 34 point one, he is one of the last decent UFAs left.

Edit: The playoffs play a big influence, but still.. in a shortened season?

Edited by Teemu Selšnne, 15 January 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#125 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,094 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

I'm not sold on Arnott. I think his numbers were 'opportune' in St Louis last year playing against weaker competition and getting a very high rate of offensive zone starts.
I would have rather signed Hecht, who's now off the market.
I think it's either the Luongo trade or Schroeder, Lappy, Malhotra, Ebbett, (Higgins) for now...

#126 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

I would rather we gave up Booth+ for Ryane Clowe. A proven points scorer who has pummelled just about everyone in the league. In fact his first fight in the NHL as a rookie was a draw with Vandermeer.

Clowe would slot right into Booth's spot and could change places with Daniel when the going got physical for our top line. At 30 he is probably ready to come to a team like the Canucks who have a better shot at the SC than the Sharks.
Kevin.jpg

#127 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,772 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

I would rather we gave up Booth+ for Ryane Clowe. A proven points scorer who has pummelled just about everyone in the league. In fact his first fight in the NHL as a rookie was a draw with Vandermeer.

Clowe would slot right into Booth's spot and could change places with Daniel when the going got physical for our top line. At 30 he is probably ready to come to a team like the Canucks who have a better shot at the SC than the Sharks.

If Clowe is an obvious upgrade on Booth, then why does San Jose do that trade? Especially since wingers to keep up with their uber-talented centers is one of their team weaknesses.

That "+" would have to be pretty sweet. The only way I see us prying a solid forward out of San Jose is for Luongo. And even then, I have doubts Clowe would be available. Maybe Pavelski though...
Posted Image

#128 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Yeah, but would Booth+ be enough for San Jose? Assuming that plus isn't much to give up since Clowe is a pending UFA but means a lot to San Jose, I'd consider it. San Jose might look to start a rebuild at some point around Couture and Burns, but they have a weak prospect pool.

And would he stick around for a reasonable price, or would he be just a rental? He does play well and would fit in our lineup, but Booth is two years younger and has 2 more years on his deal.

Would Pavelski be a better option for us?

EDIT: D-Money and I had the same idea, but the UFA status does make a difference to the deal since we're still offering a comparable return on a longer deal.

Edited by elvis15, 15 January 2013 - 10:01 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#129 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,826 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

I'm not sold on Arnott. I think his numbers were 'opportune' in St Louis last year playing against weaker competition and getting a very high rate of offensive zone starts.
I would have rather signed Hecht, who's now off the market.
I think it's either the Luongo trade or Schroeder, Lappy, Malhotra, Ebbett, (Higgins) for now...

I don't think anyone is really sold on him. That being said, they are interested in him because of our current void on our 2nd line. He is a veteran player, that has won a Stanley cup in the past. That's all. It will be a minor signing.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.