The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks showed interest in Tom Kostopoulos, Arnott to sign by end of week

elvis15

Sedin

Sedin

Burrows

Kesler

Booth

Higgins

Hansen

Lapierre

Kassian...

IMO, we're already set with players who can play a top-6 role, even without Raymond; not to mention possible trades/signings/prospects coming. So that point is moot.

What we could use is someone who can play the 4th-line roll to perfection. And that guy is Tom Kostopoulos.

Indications are Canucks will pass on Jason Arnott:

VANCOUVER - It seems the Canucks' interest in free agent veteran centre Jason Arnott has cooled.

Late last summer, the Canucks were talking to Arnott's agent, his brother Wade Arnott, about signing the 38-year-old.

They saw Arnott as a possible upgrade as a third-line centre and someone who could fill in for injured second-line centre Ryan Kesler.

But Wade Arnott said Wednesday he senses the Canucks' interest has waned.

"My sense is that it isn't a front-burner priority for them," he said. "My sense is that they have a few other things that they are looking at, obviously one big one (trading Roberto Luongo) that you are well aware of. And I think they have to let that play itself out before they go from there."

Jason Arnott has been skating during the lockout near his Dallas-area home. He had 17 goals and 34 points with the St. Louis Blues last season and has now logged 1,244 regular-season games.

His brother said there has been considerable interest from other teams.

"Jason does have interest now around the league and it will be interesting to see how it plays out between now and Sunday."

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Indications+Canucks+will+pass+Jason/7798305/story.html

Kostopoulos is a solid 4th liner and I think he's a better player than Volpatti. Arnott is a half-decent stop-gap option at center.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Arnott - Booth

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Kostopoulos - Malhotra - Weise

Ebbet

Might be able to get us through until Kesler is back, at which point Arnott becomes a 3rd/4th line center. Also lets us leave Kassian and Schroeder in the AHL, which they need anyway to continue developing.

What????????? "EDIT: I think you're also forgetting that Raymond can play center. Not very well, but with some help on faceoffs form Manny, he can become an excellent 3C"..........................Raymond can play centre but not very well? Andrew Alberts can play forward too but not very well, so how does that help the Canucks? And even if Raymond took some pointers from Manny on faceoffs, there's much more to playing centre than just faceoffs. Don't you think that if they thought that Raymond would become such an excellent 3rd line centre, as you suggest, that they would have made every effort to try him there for a prolonged period of time already?

This is a problem for every single team in the NHL. I'd love to fill the team up with stars or scorers but understand that it's unrealistic. Raymond or Kostopoulos? Neither would look good on the top six. In fact, as of right now, in playoff situation that no one on the team is capable of being consistent offensively. That's just how the game is. Typically, it's the hard working checkers who have more success in series match up competition because they have that extra competitive drive.

Archived