The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Alex Kovalev with Panthers

Woah! So many new contracts flying about. You can tell hockey is back!

I don't think Kovalev still has it, but the Panthers aren't exactly deep on the wing. If he's ok to play a 3rd line wing spot it might work out.

The real question is, if he does impress on a PTO, will an NHL offer be competitive or higher than a KHL one?

At 40, after not playing this year due to a knee injury (apart from a short stint in the Swiss league I think), it's risky. He has talent but is getting old and motivation has always been the issue. Perhaps he's motivated to enjoy the sun in Florida.

I've always had an unwarranted soft spot for Kovy.

For some reason just loved watching when he 'decided' he wanted to try and lighting it up so easily..

Last NHL season for him (2010-2011) he had 34 points in 74 games. That's not bad for a guy on a PTO who has a pretty big resume.. However, the risk is that he has played hardly any hockey in the last two years. Last year he played only 20ish games in the KHL and this year he played in a Swiss league that is THIRD division in Switzerland, so the competition wouldn't be all that hard.

Anyway, I wish him the best and if he's ever had to prove himself, it would be on a PTO with the Cats.

I would have offered him a PTO. He could add some nifty passing that aids our secondary scoring. Heck, he'd be very interesting on the PP with the Twins???

:bigblush:

In the old CBA, where his salary would not count in the minors, I would have offered him a contract. We could even poach him if Lou tells us he looks good at camp, LOL.

I bet he plays NHL this year if he wants.

Archived