The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Night in Canada - Van vs TO - Luongo vs Schneider

VIC_CITY

Name a regular season game in recent memory that would have higher TV ratings. Don't worry, I'll wait......still waiting....

TO is the biggest eastern market, Van is the biggest western market. It's 2013, people have cable on their cell phones! There's canucks fans in AFGHANSTAN!

So...thanks for your worthless contribution to this thread, now BEAT IT!

Toronto population = 2.6 million

Vancouver population = 0.6 million

NYC population = 8.2 million

If all the people in Toronto and Vancouver watched the game, it would be 3.2 million views.

If a little over a third of New Yorkers watched the game, it would match that number. Now add another American city with a big population and fairly well-known fanbase with a bit of a rivalry (Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, etc). Do all the math you want, but if you're forgetting the numbers, there's no point in doing it.

Canada has a higher percentage of hockey fans per population, and although American cities have lower percentage of hockey fans in their population, they have so many more people.

Also, put them in a Winter Classic. Guaranteed most hockey fans that aren't even a fan of the two teams would watch it. So there's no way a VAN-TO showdown would be the most watched game.

2011 Winter Classic had 4.6 million viewers - and that's just the number from NBC. Add Canadian views from CBC and that numbers got to be upwards of 5-6 million.

Name a regular season game in recent memory that would have higher TV ratings. Don't worry, I'll wait......still waiting....

TO is the biggest eastern market, Van is the biggest western market. It's 2013, people have cable on their cell phones! There's canucks fans in AFGHANSTAN!

So...thanks for your worthless contribution to this thread, now BEAT IT!

I heard there's gonna be no inter-conference games this season, which is lame because I was finally able to get tickets to Leafs-Canucks this year. Of course it's the year they cancel the game and never reschedule it. I was really looking forward to that. Of course they went and held onto my money all through Christmas too, when I could've really used it. Still angry...

There will be at least 4-5 millions viewers in Canada alone and think how many Leafs/Canucks fans there are in the US. This game would get over 6 million viewers guaranteed and I'd be shocked if the cup finals rematch game this year got over 2 million.

So yeah, hate you a little less now buuut sure, you can beat it.

Meh I'm not a fan of the OCD style scheduling where they try to match things up all evenly. Who cares if some match ups make the schedule a bit goofy they should focus more on having match ups people want to see. cut out 5 games of conference play so each team can go on a 5 game out of conference road trip. That way there could be a Van vs Tor game not to mention Montreal, Ottawa and Boston.

Edit - er I guess that should be cut 10 games since they need the home games also.

But is he the better option right now when the Sedins are in their prime?

Luongo is in his prime right now and will be for the next 3-5 years the Sedins are in theirs. That is our window. That's what we're concerned with. With every passing year, our window diminishes as the Sedins age.

Schneider sure looks better when we look going forward and think "Okay, in 5 years, Luongo retires, but in 5 years, Schneider's only 31 and in his prime." But anything past our window isn't our concern right now. And I'd say anything past this upcoming season isn't our concern - our concern is to win this season.

Luongo can get us there as well as Schneider can. Schneider brings a better return because he's younger and he's for the future - not for the win-now mentality any team taking Luongo has in mind.

Teams can build a contender around a 26-year-old Schneider just as we did a 26-year-old Luongo. We can take the pieces that can help us now and solidify the team in front of Luongo to win.

Remember that with Luongo, we were only one win away. Remember the decimated and injury-plagued team that was in front of Luongo in game 7. We had no chance from the start - even if it was Schneider in net.

What we need to do is build the best team in front of either goalie this season. I believe Luongo can get us there, and Schneider can get us better pieces. So I'd stick with Lu.

Archived