The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Hi Chairs For Kids At Earls is Discrimination Say Customer

DonLever

The sad thing is, stuff like this doesn't surprise me any more.

Next thing you know people will take kids to high-end restaurants and say its discrimination that they don't have chicken strips and chocolate milk on the menu.

There are a number of grounds upon which a business open to the public such as Earl's may not discriminate - this is not one of them as age discrimination only can occur at 19 years of age or older.

8 (1) A person must not, without a bona fide and reasonable justification,

(a) deny to a person or class of persons any accommodation, service or facility customarily available to the public, or

(
B)
discriminate against a person or class of persons regarding any accommodation, service or facility customarily available to the public

because of the race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation or age of that person or class of persons.

I bet there's a legal angle on this as well. If you supply high-chairs, if they break, or aren't maintained I bet a parent would sue. So by not providing them you're putting the onus on the customer to provide their own.

Sounds cold. But businesses these days are cold, unfeeling, and get away with stuff that individuals would never get away with.

Besides, as the other poster put it. Earl's....ewwwww.

Archived