The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Wins a Cup First Schneider or Luongo?

Derp...

Who wins a cup first Schneids or Lu?  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If the Schneider changes his helmet, and eats haggis during the playoffs, and the Canucks defense wear red underwear, and if Alain waves a towel, and if the Sedins out score everyone in the playoffs (with pink tape on their sticks and pink laces on their skates), and if everyone in Vancouver signs a waver to never ever riot, and if Christy Clark wears a Canucks jersey every day during the playoffs, and if my head doesn't explode from all the insipid threads....then maybe...just maybe, the Canucks will win the Cup.

393062_10152166382199625_1956006787_n.jpg

Cory maybe will but i don't see Luongo winning one now. Age is creeping up on him and older goalies (other than Tim Thomas) never seem to break through for a cup win when they are older. With big game perforamances not his specialty i don't see him pulling it off on another team.

My vote is neither as i see the Canucks as a team that is going to slip back for a few years now as they had their chance being the best in the league.

My first thought was neither... that option wasn't available though.

The obvious choice is Schnieder though. He's on an excellent team, and he's considerably younger than Luongo therefore has more opportunities to win the cup. From the rumours going around Luongo is going to Toronto or Florida... Good luck winning a cup there Lou.

Oldest goaltenders to win a Cup:

The oldest goalie – to play for the Cup – was Johnny Bower who appeared in his last playoff game when he was 44 years, 4 months and 38 days old. Lester Patrick was also 44 when he donned the pads for his Rangers for part of one game in 1928, and Jacques Plante was in the playoffs when he was 44-years-old.

Dominik Hašek at 43 years and five months, became the oldest goalie to win the Stanley Cup (It was 2008 and he was primarily the backup for Chris Osgood.).

Rookie goaltenders to win a Cup:

Ken Dryden played only six regular season games in 1970-71 for Montreal but led he team to a Cup Championship that season. It wasn't until the following year in 71-72 that Dryden won the Calder as top rookie in the NHL.

Patrick Roy nn 1985-86 led Montreal to an unexpected Stanley cup and emerged as the youngest winner of the Conn Smythe Trophy at only 20 years of age. While still a rookie that season, Roy actually got his first taste of NHL action the previous year playing 20-minutes of shutout hockey to earn his first win.

Cam Ward led Carolina to its only Cup Championship in 2005-2006 as a rookie and, like Roy, took home the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP.

Antti Niemi last season led Chicago to the Cup Championship, becoming the first rookie goaltender to record 16 playoff victories. Interestingly, despite all the well-deserved accolades given Finnish goaltending of late, Niemi is the first to win the Cup and only the third to appear in the Cup Finals – who are the other two?

Ron Hextall deserves an honorable mention here. In 1986-87 Hextall tied Roy's rookie record with 15 playoff wins and took home the Conn Smythe Trophy, although his team, the Philadelphia Flyers, lost the cup final to Edmonton in a seven game series.

Here's an excellent article on goaltender age and its effects:

http://nhlnumbers.co...orrect-for-bias

Archived