The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Firing] Burke Done in TO

Ok, this is a first that I have seen. Not only is this trending, it is taking up the whole trending list in one form or another lol!

===

Brian Burke

Nonis

Leafs GM

MLSE

Luongo

===

Edit.

And also trending in all other Canadian cities *except* Montreal? Strange

Burke was the most vocal GM against back diving deals and had a huge propensity to overate his own goalies to a detriment to his teams shots at the Cup (ahem Cloutier ahem).

My guess is that the new ownership has no interest in risking the playoffs again on subpar goaltending after the Leafs were the only team NOT to make the playoffs during the last CBA. They don't want to start off on the wrong foot and WANT the Luongo *splash*.

I am almost certain that this has something to do with him not trading for Luongo, the new owners in TO need to make a splash. With the blue jays being the talk of the town with all their major acquisitions this summer it's about competing for the sports dollars. Burke screwed up at the draft by not pulling the trigger on the trade when ownership wanted it. Plus they have a capable guy in Nonis who has before dealt for Luongo, combine that with Burkes baggage made for an easy decision for ownership to remove him from his position.

Toronto in the press will anounce nonis is taking over as gm of the leafs......the players will vote on the cba later today and pass it so its official....nonis will then go into burkes old office, sit in burkes old chair and put his signature on the papers sitting on burkes old desk to bring luongo and raymond to toronto....which will be breaking news tonight and the canucks forum will crash from madness.....you heard it here folks!

Yes, Im sure TO fans agree with you when he sold the future to win now - then didn't even make the playoffs once in his tenure there all while giving up not one but two lottery draft picks and one going to hated rival Boston of all places (only MTL probably could have been worse). Running his mouth to the media constantly like an ass, standing behind his loser coach till the bitter end, believing that "red light" Reimer could carry an NHL team to the playoffs etc etc etc.

I wonder if he is one of the best GMs out there what do bad ones do?

Archived