• Announcements

• StealthNuck

Forum-specific Rules   07/11/2017

These are board specific rules for the Trades and Rumors forum designed to provide organization and a better experience for everyone. Please review these rules before posting new threads. 
        THREAD ETIQUETTE   1. Please search for an existing thread before posting. This forum can be very fast moving, so it's understandable if redundant threads are inadvertently posted. In such a case, please use the report feature to request removal of redundant threads.    2. Provide a clearly identifiable topic title so that users can readily understand the content. The title should include any and all teams involved, as well as player names or other personnel involved as appropriate.   3. All trades, signings, rumors and other news MUST include a linkable source. Simply posting the name of the source is not enough. Effort should also be made to copy and paste the full article, or at the very least the relevant portion of text from the source to the first post of the thread. Moderators may remove low-quality threads in favour of high-quality threads. 

Affixed to the front of your title should be a label that identifies the type of transaction that is taking place. For all trades use [TRADE]. For all signings use [SIGNING]. For all waiver-wire transactions use [WAIVERS]. For all rumours use [RUMOUR].
      For articles or news items that don't fit into the above categories, affix an appropriate label of your choice such as [NEWS], [ARTICLE] or [MISC].   4. When the status of a thread changes a new thread can be created. The new thread should reflect the change and help focus the discussion on current events. e.g. Someone may create a new thread when a rumor becomes a trades. The old thread will be locked by the moderating team.    5. Do not misrepresent the contents of your thread or post false trades or rumors. Trolling will result in a permanent suspension. 

SOURCES   The following source types are considered INVALID. Any links to posts or threads on other message boards Any links to personal blogs Any news heard on the radio that does not have a link to an audio vault or podcast Any news seen on television that does not have a link to online video Any news spread by word of mouth
      Additionally, certain sources may be be blacklisted due to poor credentials, clear traffic-mongering etc. Blacklisted sources will be posted here. 
      Thank you for your co-operation and please PM the Administrator or Moderators if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions regarding this forum.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lonny_Bohonos_14

[Firing] Burke Done in TO

239 posts in this topic

So many sports commentators are saying Burke didn't like the Luongo trade and everyone including Nonis were all for it.

Really dismayed by this decision in all honesty. Nonis had better not stay GM for long.

Knowing CDC that talk will commence soon and

Did you not see the sarcasm in that post :rolleyes:

Just noticing that Dreger has been especially quiet on this.

Perhaps he knew and couldn't break confidentiality?

Really dismayed by this decision in all honesty. Nonis had better not stay GM for long.

Just noticing that Dreger has been especially quiet on this.

Perhaps he knew and couldn't break confidentiality?

Looking at the Nonis transactions, there is still some players on this team from his moves:

Edler, Schneider, Hansen, Raymond (draft), Burrows (FA), Luongo(Trade)

He re-signed a lot of his own players. Other than that, acquired and traded a lot of spare parts basically. The only big move he did was the Luongo trade. Will he do it again?

Edit

His first 2 picks turned out to be the best ones. I think he moved up in the draft to steal Edler from the Wings if I remember right. Ironically, also responsible for a goal-tending dilemma at the moment.

I imagine this improves the chances of a Luongo trade. Nonis was obviously a big fan of getting Luongo into Vancouver, and I imagine he would feel the same way in Toronto. Only this time, he will not have to give up as much to get him.

@DarrenDreger: Nonis isn't a rookie gm. He won't be looking for a "splash" trade, nor will he consider expected flood of trade interest unless legit.

I don't think Nonis coming in as GM is going to necessary improve the facilitation of a trade for Luongo. Nonis based his career on not selling the farm for an allstar (refused to trade Edler/Kesler to TB for Richards).

For years, Nonis' mentor has been Brian Burke. It is unlikely that Nonis sees things from a perspective that is dramatically different than Brian Burke's. Trade might still happen, but its not likely IMO that the Canucks are going to get more from Nonis than they would from Burke.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/01/09/brian_burke_fired_roberto_luongo_trade_maple_leafs_canucks/

Within minutes of a firing that shook the landscape here at the Board of Governor's meetings, a source confirmed to sportsnet.ca that Burke was unwilling to make the trade that all of his lieutenants inside the Leafs organization were pushing for. That includes Burke's replacement, new Leafs GM Dave Nonis, who will now work towards consummating that trade with the Vancouver Canucks.

It is facile to think that Burke would be fired on the eve of this truncated season solely for not pursuing that deal. The Luongo Affair, however, marks the final straw in a welcome that Burke had apparently worn out over a four-year tenure that did not deliver a single playoff game.

"We've decided to make a leadership change and move in a new direction," was the cliché delivered by Leafs COO Tom Anselmi.

@DarrenDreger: Nonis isn't a rookie gm. He won't be looking for a "splash" trade, nor will he consider expected flood of trade interest unless legit.

I don't think Nonis coming in as GM is going to necessary improve the facilitation of a trade for Luongo. Nonis based his career on not selling the farm for an allstar (refused to trade Edler/Kesler to TB for Richards).

For years, Nonis' mentor has been Brian Burke. It is unlikely that Nonis sees things from a perspective that is dramatically different than Brian Burke's. Trade might still happen, but its not likely IMO that the Canucks are going to get more from Nonis than they would from Burke.

Agree but they also stated in the Presser that there would be more of a symbiotic relationship between owners and gm...Bell/Rogers are going to force that deal...

MG needs to really understand that now, he has Nonis over a barrell bec Owners want Lou, that isn't the only reason Burke was fired but part of it.

Nonis may not be the 'splash' guy but Bell and Rogers want a splash in their first year and that is what media is about.

Fans in TO clamoring for Lou, Media saying they need a goalie to make the playoffs. Nonis's cards are on the table MG has him.

Anyone who thinks this is happening now and there wasn't a blowout over a potential Luongo deal is an idiot. I have no doubt MLSE and Rogers already didn't like Burke, but Burke's stubborn ass probably wouldn't trade for Lu because he's openly opposed his contract and it was the final straw. There is literally no other reason to do this now.

Damn, I'm going to miss Burke. He was so good at making that team sh*tty, even when I look at them now I see that they don't have a chance in hell at making the playoffs.

Decisions like making Phaneuf captain, extending Wilson only to fire him and pay for his contract a week later, trading 2 very high picks for Phil Kessel, quotes like 'Reimer is a good goalie' would always crack me up. RIP Burke, I'm going to miss your classic trolling.

Maybe this will lead to Nonnis overpaying for Luongo. Burkie was being pretty stoic and not budging on this potential deal, but someone else might.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: NHL GM on Burke's firing. "I don't get it."