238 replies to this topic

#151 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

I imagine this improves the chances of a Luongo trade. Nonis was obviously a big fan of getting Luongo into Vancouver, and I imagine he would feel the same way in Toronto. Only this time, he will not have to give up as much to get him.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#152 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

@DarrenDreger: Nonis isn't a rookie gm. He won't be looking for a "splash" trade, nor will he consider expected flood of trade interest unless legit.

I don't think Nonis coming in as GM is going to necessary improve the facilitation of a trade for Luongo. Nonis based his career on not selling the farm for an allstar (refused to trade Edler/Kesler to TB for Richards).

For years, Nonis' mentor has been Brian Burke. It is unlikely that Nonis sees things from a perspective that is dramatically different than Brian Burke's. Trade might still happen, but its not likely IMO that the Canucks are going to get more from Nonis than they would from Burke.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#153 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

http://www.sportsnet..._leafs_canucks/

Within minutes of a firing that shook the landscape here at the Board of Governor's meetings, a source confirmed to sportsnet.ca that Burke was unwilling to make the trade that all of his lieutenants inside the Leafs organization were pushing for. That includes Burke's replacement, new Leafs GM Dave Nonis, who will now work towards consummating that trade with the Vancouver Canucks.
It is facile to think that Burke would be fired on the eve of this truncated season solely for not pursuing that deal. The Luongo Affair, however, marks the final straw in a welcome that Burke had apparently worn out over a four-year tenure that did not deliver a single playoff game.

"We've decided to make a leadership change and move in a new direction," was the cliché delivered by Leafs COO Tom Anselmi.

#154 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

@DarrenDreger: Nonis isn't a rookie gm. He won't be looking for a "splash" trade, nor will he consider expected flood of trade interest unless legit.

I don't think Nonis coming in as GM is going to necessary improve the facilitation of a trade for Luongo. Nonis based his career on not selling the farm for an allstar (refused to trade Edler/Kesler to TB for Richards).

For years, Nonis' mentor has been Brian Burke. It is unlikely that Nonis sees things from a perspective that is dramatically different than Brian Burke's. Trade might still happen, but its not likely IMO that the Canucks are going to get more from Nonis than they would from Burke.

Agree but they also stated in the Presser that there would be more of a symbiotic relationship between owners and gm...Bell/Rogers are going to force that deal...

MG needs to really understand that now, he has Nonis over a barrell bec Owners want Lou, that isn't the only reason Burke was fired but part of it.

Nonis may not be the 'splash' guy but Bell and Rogers want a splash in their first year and that is what media is about.

Fans in TO clamoring for Lou, Media saying they need a goalie to make the playoffs. Nonis's cards are on the table MG has him.

#155 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Agree but they also stated in the Presser that there would be more of a symbiotic relationship between owners and gm...Bell/Rogers are going to force that deal...

MG needs to really understand that now, he has Nonis over a barrell bec Owners want Lou, that isn't the only reason Burke was fired but part of it.

Nonis may not be the 'splash' guy but Bell and Rogers want a splash in their first year and that is what media is about.

Fans in TO clamoring for Lou, Media saying they need a goalie to make the playoffs. Nonis's cards are on the table MG has him.

I agree with you as well.... I just think that based on his history, Nonis would rather fall on his sword than cave in to owner demands and overpay for Luongo.

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

#156 Kulikov

Kulikov

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Anyone who thinks this is happening now and there wasn't a blowout over a potential Luongo deal is an idiot. I have no doubt MLSE and Rogers already didn't like Burke, but Burke's stubborn ass probably wouldn't trade for Lu because he's openly opposed his contract and it was the final straw. There is literally no other reason to do this now.

Edited by Kulikov, 09 January 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#157 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Damn, I'm going to miss Burke. He was so good at making that team sh*tty, even when I look at them now I see that they don't have a chance in hell at making the playoffs.

Decisions like making Phaneuf captain, extending Wilson only to fire him and pay for his contract a week later, trading 2 very high picks for Phil Kessel, quotes like 'Reimer is a good goalie' would always crack me up. RIP Burke, I'm going to miss your classic trolling.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#158 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,437 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Maybe this will lead to Nonnis overpaying for Luongo. Burkie was being pretty stoic and not budging on this potential deal, but someone else might.
Posted Image

#159 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,659 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: NHL GM on Burke's firing. "I don't get it."

307mg00.jpg

#160 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Canucks asking for Kadri+Gardiner apparently, LOL

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#161 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Burke made toronto awful and other team good

leafs could two franchise players and star dmen but nope none at all

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#162 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Canucks asking for Kadri+Gardiner apparently, LOL

Nonuts hopefully takes it hahaha then boom leaf nation assassinates him.
GO Canucks GO

#163 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,653 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Nonis is going to do exactly as he's told by MLSE.
Posted Image

#164 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

His first 2 picks turned out to be the best ones. I think he moved up in the draft to steal Edler from the Wings if I remember right. Ironically, also responsible for a goal-tending dilemma at the moment.

Sort of. The details on the 91st overall pick we used to take Edler from the 2004 draft wiki page:

The San Jose Sharks compensatory third-round pick went to the Vancouver Canucks as the result of a trade on June 26, 2004 that sent Vancouver's third-round pick in 2005 to Dallas in exchange for this pick.

Dallas previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on June 26, 2004 that sent New Jersey's first-round and Dallas' fifth-round picks in 2004 (22nd and 153rd overall) to San Jose in exchange for the Sharks first-round pick, compensatory second-round pick both in 2004 (28th and 52nd overall) and this pick.

San Jose previously received this pick as compensation for the loss of Group III free agent Mark Messier.

It's a little convoluted how it got to us, but we basically traded our 2005 3rd rounder to Dallas for San Jose's 2004 3rd rounder.

We'd traded away our 3rd rounder that year (93rd overall) to Columbus for Geoff Sanderson, so we could have still drafted Edler as Detroit's pick wasn't until 97th overall.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#165 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Nonis is going to do exactly as he's told by MLSE.

Right....just like he did when he was pressured by ownership to trade for Brad Richards. Oh wait........

Nonuts hopefully takes it hahaha then boom leaf nation assassinates him.

I hate how fans refer to Nonis as 'Nonuts'. The guy had the balls to stand up to ownership and not mortgage our future (you know, the team that gave us an actual cup run?). It takes balls to stick to your principles even when you know its going to get you fired.

Edited by Down by the River, 09 January 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#166 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

a friend of a friend has some access to information here in toronto and says he was fired because he messed up the luongo deal. i don't know the guy or where he got his information, but that's what he said

lol and a friend of mine (me) who lives here in toronto says your friend is wrong lol

#167 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

I agree with you as well.... I just think that based on his history, Nonis would rather fall on his sword than cave in to owner demands and overpay for Luongo.

Don't think he'll overpay but perhaps us getting closer to fair value is about to happen

#168 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

lol and a friend of mine (me) who lives here in toronto says your friend is wrong lol

There is a one lol maximum per sentence.

hL9YqYN.jpg

#169 Mclean1

Mclean1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

this shows how stupid TO organzation is... why not fire the guy end of last season....This does not help the Luongo trade at all, Nonis is a smart guy if burke didn't trade gardiner and kadri for Lu...I don't see Nonis doing it either unless ownership tells him to pull the trigger.

#170 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Right....just like he did when he was pressured by ownership to trade for Brad Richards. Oh wait........

I'd argue there's a much different dynamic at work here than when he was in Vancouver. Not comparable at all.

Vancouver ownership was hands off and not worried about marketing vs. 'building a winner'. We have been very fortunate with the Griffiths, even McCaw, and now Acquilini are 'hockey guys' with patience.

Rogers and Bell 1. Overpaid for MLSE for one reason. The synergies with their media business. I know this for a fact because I worked for a firm that represented one of the sides in the transaction and know the financial models inside out. 2. So therefore they need to 'market' the team and what sells the team after not making the playoffs for 8 years and after a lockout, making the playoffs. 3. How do they do that, address their biggest weakness next to center, goalie. 4. Make a splash and get fans excited to watch the game every night and sell the advertising....

Nonis is in a MUCH different position sir.

#171 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

There is a one lol maximum per sentence.

Nice value add :shock:

#172 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

They sell out all the time win or lose.

Largest market of Canadian fans - it's a no brainer. Wonder how a decent team in Hamilton would change that? Sure would be a fantastic rivalry.

#173 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,821 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

this shows how stupid TO organzation is... why not fire the guy end of last season....This does not help the Luongo trade at all, Nonis is a smart guy if burke didn't trade gardiner and kadri for Lu...I don't see Nonis doing it either unless ownership tells him to pull the trigger.

Burke apparently got fired because he couldn't pull off a Luongo trade. If Nonis is smart, he'll get one done, likely for what Gillis is asking.

You're right, Nonis is a smart guy, which means if he wants to stay GM, he'll make the trade. Ownership is drooling over the merchandising money that Luongo will make, as well as the playoff revenue. I'm sure they could care less if they trade away a couple prospects.

If anything this can only help our position. Burke was not going to give us fair value. The guy's way too stubborn, and would not wanna help Gillis out in any way.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#174 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,903 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

top comment on tsn webpage

This is a huge blow to the Bruins organization

#175 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Don't buy this "because he couldn't make a deal on Luongo" thing at all.

Dan Murphy@sportsnetmurph

If Burke was at such odds with MLSE brass about Luongo then how could he be completely shocked about the firing. Not sure i buy the Lu angle

Posted Image

#176 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Makes me happy to know that Gillis isn't gonna give Luongo away like some people around here think we should.

SYvE9NH.gif

#177 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

The firing was likely inevitable, but the timing surprises me a bit.

Hopefully this works in Gillis's favor.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#178 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Don Taylor on the Team adamant that Burke was fired due to 'personal reasons'? Has Burke ever had personal reasons to be fired from TO? Doesn't make a lot of sense...to me it seems just having a poor playoff record, bad deals, and bad asset management (including lack of Luongo deal).

#179 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

kadri gardiner would be nice
Posted Image

#180 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

this shows how stupid TO organzation is... why not fire the guy end of last season....

Probably because they were the new owners on the block, but keeping Burke gave them a better pipeline into the lockout negotiations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.