The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Firing] Burke Done in TO

Looking at the Nonis transactions, there is still some players on this team from his moves:

Edler, Schneider, Hansen, Raymond (draft), Burrows (FA), Luongo(Trade)

He re-signed a lot of his own players. Other than that, acquired and traded a lot of spare parts basically. The only big move he did was the Luongo trade. Will he do it again?

Edit

His first 2 picks turned out to be the best ones. I think he moved up in the draft to steal Edler from the Wings if I remember right. Ironically, also responsible for a goal-tending dilemma at the moment.

@DarrenDreger: Nonis isn't a rookie gm. He won't be looking for a "splash" trade, nor will he consider expected flood of trade interest unless legit.

I don't think Nonis coming in as GM is going to necessary improve the facilitation of a trade for Luongo. Nonis based his career on not selling the farm for an allstar (refused to trade Edler/Kesler to TB for Richards).

For years, Nonis' mentor has been Brian Burke. It is unlikely that Nonis sees things from a perspective that is dramatically different than Brian Burke's. Trade might still happen, but its not likely IMO that the Canucks are going to get more from Nonis than they would from Burke.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/01/09/brian_burke_fired_roberto_luongo_trade_maple_leafs_canucks/

Within minutes of a firing that shook the landscape here at the Board of Governor's meetings, a source confirmed to sportsnet.ca that Burke was unwilling to make the trade that all of his lieutenants inside the Leafs organization were pushing for. That includes Burke's replacement, new Leafs GM Dave Nonis, who will now work towards consummating that trade with the Vancouver Canucks.

It is facile to think that Burke would be fired on the eve of this truncated season solely for not pursuing that deal. The Luongo Affair, however, marks the final straw in a welcome that Burke had apparently worn out over a four-year tenure that did not deliver a single playoff game.

"We've decided to make a leadership change and move in a new direction," was the cliché delivered by Leafs COO Tom Anselmi.

@DarrenDreger: Nonis isn't a rookie gm. He won't be looking for a "splash" trade, nor will he consider expected flood of trade interest unless legit.

I don't think Nonis coming in as GM is going to necessary improve the facilitation of a trade for Luongo. Nonis based his career on not selling the farm for an allstar (refused to trade Edler/Kesler to TB for Richards).

For years, Nonis' mentor has been Brian Burke. It is unlikely that Nonis sees things from a perspective that is dramatically different than Brian Burke's. Trade might still happen, but its not likely IMO that the Canucks are going to get more from Nonis than they would from Burke.

Agree but they also stated in the Presser that there would be more of a symbiotic relationship between owners and gm...Bell/Rogers are going to force that deal...

MG needs to really understand that now, he has Nonis over a barrell bec Owners want Lou, that isn't the only reason Burke was fired but part of it.

Nonis may not be the 'splash' guy but Bell and Rogers want a splash in their first year and that is what media is about.

Fans in TO clamoring for Lou, Media saying they need a goalie to make the playoffs. Nonis's cards are on the table MG has him.

Anyone who thinks this is happening now and there wasn't a blowout over a potential Luongo deal is an idiot. I have no doubt MLSE and Rogers already didn't like Burke, but Burke's stubborn ass probably wouldn't trade for Lu because he's openly opposed his contract and it was the final straw. There is literally no other reason to do this now.

Damn, I'm going to miss Burke. He was so good at making that team sh*tty, even when I look at them now I see that they don't have a chance in hell at making the playoffs.

Decisions like making Phaneuf captain, extending Wilson only to fire him and pay for his contract a week later, trading 2 very high picks for Phil Kessel, quotes like 'Reimer is a good goalie' would always crack me up. RIP Burke, I'm going to miss your classic trolling.

Archived