26 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Marleau

Patrick Marleau

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

To start off I know this is super repetitive, but in all honesty this is what GMMG needs to get done in order to get the best deal possible. I believe that the best option for both the Canucks and Roberto is trading him to the Panthers. Everyone knows that he will wave his no-trade clause to go there because of his wife and family have roots down in Florida.

The other teams that are in the mix, like Toronto, I feel just don't have the assets the our team needs right now, which is a second line center - with Kesler being sidelined and all. The players that they are only willing to give up, such as Bozak, Frattin, Ashton, etc. are just not the answer to our offense. We already have guys like Shroeder, Jensen, and Kassian in the mix. As for our defense, I feel that we are already strong enough, and with young guns of Tanev, Connauton, and Corrado, we are fine there.

The other teams, such as Chicago, Edmonton, and Islanders, are simply to the prime trading partners, with Edmonton obviously being in our division. I would only trade Luo to Chicago if they were willing to give us Sharp+ in return, which is most likely just not happening. As for the Islanders, I just don't see Luo wanting to go there, plus they would have to buyout Dipietro's massive contract, and give up a young gun, like Nino Niederreiter, in order to land Luongo.

So my proposal for Florida is something along the lines like this:

To Vancouver:

C Stephen Weiss
2013 1st rounder

To Florida:
G Roberto Luongo
F Mason Raymond
D Kevin Connauton

Be NICE PLEASE, and comment on what you would do differently if you feel this isn't fair!

Edited by Patrick Marleau, 09 January 2013 - 01:23 PM.

#2 LordCanuck

LordCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

id do that deal.

Edited by LordCanuck, 09 January 2013 - 01:21 PM.

Posted Imagekhalifawiz501

#3 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

I would want a conditional 1st in 2015 if Weiss did not resign. 3rd if he does.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#4 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

IMO Luongo should be able to get the Canucks a top 6 forward, a good prospect, and a good pick. I don't mind the deal, but I feel like people really undervalue Luongo.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#5 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Sorry if you were GM and made that trade I would start a lynch mob... personally. As someone else said all this undervaluing of Luongo was ridiculous before the new CBA but now with the Luongo clause his stock has skyrocketed imo. What is coming back from Florida there is not enough for just Luongo imo.
Posted Image

#6 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Get rid of Connauton and I'd do it.
Posted Image

#7 Patrick Marleau

Patrick Marleau

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

IMO Luongo should be able to get the Canucks a top 6 forward, a good prospect, and a good pick. I don't mind the deal, but I feel like people really undervalue Luongo.

I totally agree with yoou one this one, but this trade does give us a top six forward in Weiss that played along side Booth in Florida, and ripped it up there! And the draft this year has a lot of good talent, so that pick could turn to be good! As for Raymond, I also feel that ppl underestimate him as well, I believe when he is healthly and confident he can be a good 2nd line winger on most teams, but he is expendible on ours. And with Connauton, I feel he is also a good prospect that is expendible because of our depth on defense, as well as having other prospects in Corrado and Tanev.

#8 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,210 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

My thoughts exactly. Maybe replace him Sweatt and/or a pick (3rd-5th).

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#9 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Who cares about Connauton? He's not going to be a NHL'er anyways. Trade him while he still has value.

Edited by Rey, 09 January 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#10 Patrick Marleau

Patrick Marleau

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Sorry if you were GM and made that trade I would start a lynch mob... personally. As someone else said all this undervaluing of Luongo was ridiculous before the new CBA but now with the Luongo clause his stock has skyrocketed imo. What is coming back from Florida there is not enough for just Luongo imo.

What do you suggest that Gillis should do then?

#11 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Who cares about Connauton? He's not going to be a NHL'er anyways.

Considering how shallow our D prospect pool is, he's probably our second best prospect after Corrado.
Posted Image

#12 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Considering how shallow our D prospect pool is, he's probably our second best prospect after Corrado.

Connauton is only up there on the prospects pool because he's older and spent more years developing. He's got 2-3 years to make the team or be a NHL journey men. He's been unimpressive defensively, and lacks any commitment. Much better off trading him for another project right now, while he still has value. Tanev looks like a superstar compared Connauton, and Tanev right now, is a bottom pair defense man. The Canucks aren't in a rush or in a need for depth defense man right now, Yann Sauve is more reliable than Connauton. Sauve just needs to get back to where he was before the car accident.

With Cam Barker coming into training camp. I wouldn't be surprised if Connauton looked like a poor man version of Barker, which honestly, isn't good enough.

Edited by Rey, 09 January 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#13 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Connauton is only up there on the prospects pool because he's older and spent more years developing. He's got 2-3 years to make the team or be a NHL journey men. He's been unimpressive defensively, and lacks any commitment. Much better off trading him for another project right now, while he still has value. Tanev looks like a superstar compared Connauton, and Tanev right now, is a bottom pair defense man.

Tanev is no doubt better than Connauton. He's gonna be on the team, so I don't really consider him a prospect anymore.
I wouldn't care if we traded Connauton, but he would be an unnecessary addition for this trade.
Florida wouldn't really value him much since they already have an abundance of young D.
Posted Image

#14 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Tanev is no doubt better than Connauton. He's gonna be on the team, so I don't really consider him a prospect anymore.
I wouldn't care if we traded Connauton, but he would be an unnecessary addition for this trade.
Florida wouldn't really value him much since they already have an abundance of young D.

It's Dale Tallon. He likes to stock up as much as he can. Weiss should be untouchable, he's the teams number 1 center men. The only reason Weiss is traded if he tells Tallon straight up that he won't be re-signing next season. If you can get a Weiss and a 1st round pick, you don't even hesitate to throw in a guy like Connauton.

The biggest question about the whole trade isn't about the little pieces. It's about how Luongo is valued, and honestly. I don't know how to answer that question. Don't think anyone does. I say it's fair if the season just ended, but thanks to the lockout. Perhaps, Luongo's value actually got up.

But Connauton isn't a piece to care about. The NHL is going to be a mess right now, lots of things are not going to make sense at the start.

Edited by Rey, 09 January 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#15 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

i'ld move lu for colborne and franson

#16 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

I totally agree with yoou one this one, but this trade does give us a top six forward in Weiss that played along side Booth in Florida, and ripped it up there! And the draft this year has a lot of good talent, so that pick could turn to be good! As for Raymond, I also feel that ppl underestimate him as well, I believe when he is healthly and confident he can be a good 2nd line winger on most teams, but he is expendible on ours. And with Connauton, I feel he is also a good prospect that is expendible because of our depth on defense, as well as having other prospects in Corrado and Tanev.

People are overselling Weiss a bit. He's good, but he's been basically a 50+ point player so far in his career with a high of 61 points. Kesler's had two years of 70+ points and Booth, being the other potential linemate, has only had more than 40 once when he had 60 in the same year as Weiss got 61.

Weiss could improve us, no doubt, but he's also a pending UFA who could either walk or demand a raise we can't afford. I don't mind the idea of getting a conditional pick as well, but I'd still rather go after Bjugstad if we had any leverage.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#17 Kulikov

Kulikov

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Any deal for Lu should get us a top 6 forward or top 4 D, a top end prospect, and a good pick or another good prospect depending on how good the roster player we get is.

I don't want Weiss, but i'll play ball.

Weiss + Petrovic + conditional 2nd rounder (1st if they make the playoffs)

for

Lu + Raymond

Edited by Kulikov, 09 January 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#18 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Just curious, did Booth play with Weiss in FLA?

Sedins - Sedins - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Higgins
Booth - Weiss - Hansen

If Raymond returns to form.. Holy crap that's a solid top-9. Kesler's line would be one of the best 2-way lines in the NHL.

2A and 2B

Edited by Django, 09 January 2013 - 03:08 PM.

Posted Image

#19 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Just curious, did Booth play with Weiss in FLA?

Sedins - Sedins - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Higgins
Booth - Weiss - Hansen

If Raymond returns to form.. Holy crap that's a solid top-9. Kesler's line would be one of the best 2-way lines in the NHL.

2A and 2B

I think that leaves out some options for us, but what's with all the A's and Bs we had the last few years. We've had 1A and 1B forward lines, 1A/1B defensive pairs and 1A/1B goalies (which might be the reverse of last year!). We've also had a 3A and 3B bottom 6 and now we're going for a 2A/2B in our top 9?

#20 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

This. I'd rather ride Luongo/Schneider.

SYvE9NH.gif

#21 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

I think that leaves out some options for us, but what's with all the A's and Bs we had the last few years. We've had 1A and 1B forward lines, 1A/1B defensive pairs and 1A/1B goalies (which might be the reverse of last year!). We've also had a 3A and 3B bottom 6 and now we're going for a 2A/2B in our top 9?

Well, i meant that Kesler's line can become a checking/scoring line and Weiss' line can become the scoring line; however, Kesler's line will still be getting the majority of the minutes. (Because Kesler usually plays against Toews/Kopitar etc etc)

Posted Image

#22 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

If it is with Florida something built around Lu and Raymond for Brian Campbell and Shawn Matthias would be great, especially if Edler won't re-sign. It was only last season when he formed quite the dynamic pairing with Garrison, and ever since Ehrhoff left people have been wanting a dynamic D-man. They'd get that here with Brian who put up 53 points last season, plus he can play physically. Matthias would bring physical strength and strong two-way play for the 3rd line role.

If Edler in fact doesn't re-sign I think it'd be smart then to deal him to Philly, maybe for Voracek+ (they had the same amount of points last season). Then figure out what to do with Ballard and his salary if it doesn't fit within the cap (probably to the Islanders in case Visnovsky doesn't come back).

Twins - Burr
Booth - Kesler - Voracek
Higgins - Matthias - Hansen
Manny - Lapierre - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Campbell - Garrison
- Tanev

Schneider

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#23 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

If Gillis wants to win NOW, he should be looking at Grabovski and Weiss tbh.

Posted Image

#24 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Well, i meant that Kesler's line can become a checking/scoring line and Weiss' line can become the scoring line; however, Kesler's line will still be getting the majority of the minutes. (Because Kesler usually plays against Toews/Kopitar etc etc)

However you meant it, to go after Weiss and then put him on the 3rd line when Kesler returns isn't a good option - especially when he might be looking for Kesler money next year. He'll play on the 2nd and one of them will move to the wing.

Edited by elvis15, 09 January 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#25 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,190 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

To start off I know this is super repetitive, but in all honesty this is what GMMG needs to get done in order to get the best deal possible. I believe that the best option for both the Canucks and Roberto is trading him to the Panthers. Everyone knows that he will wave his no-trade clause to go there because of his wife and family have roots down in Florida.

The other teams that are in the mix, like Toronto, I feel just don't have the assets the our team needs right now, which is a second line center - with Kesler being sidelined and all. The players that they are only willing to give up, such as Bozak, Frattin, Ashton, etc. are just not the answer to our offense. We already have guys like Shroeder, Jensen, and Kassian in the mix. As for our defense, I feel that we are already strong enough, and with young guns of Tanev, Connauton, and Corrado, we are fine there.

The other teams, such as Chicago, Edmonton, and Islanders, are simply to the prime trading partners, with Edmonton obviously being in our division. I would only trade Luo to Chicago if they were willing to give us Sharp+ in return, which is most likely just not happening. As for the Islanders, I just don't see Luo wanting to go there, plus they would have to buyout Dipietro's massive contract, and give up a young gun, like Nino Niederreiter, in order to land Luongo.

So my proposal for Florida is something along the lines like this:

To Vancouver:

C Stephen Weiss
2013 1st rounder

To Florida:
G Roberto Luongo
F Mason Raymond
D Kevin Connauton

Be NICE PLEASE, and comment on what you would do differently if you feel this isn't fair!

Get rid of Connaution and Add Petrovic and It's done.

zackass.png

#26 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Agreed,

Then the line-up would look like:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Weiss-Kassian/Kesler
Higgins-Kesler-Hansen
Manny-Lapierre-Volpatti/Weise

Edler-Garrison
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Ballard-Tanev
Connauton-Alberts
Barker***if he makes team

Schneider
Lack
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#27 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

This. I'd rather ride Luongo/Schneider.

That's what she said. :bigblush:
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.