Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dudeone

Trump releases birth certificate to Bill Maher, demands $5M

95 posts in this topic

LMAO!

Don't write cheques your ass can't ca$h.

Yeah, but you know what's never funny? Promising 5 million dollars to charity and then backing out of it. He could have said anything, but he was trying to be a big man, calling out Trump, who could easily afford that amount, by acting like he's a big shot who could afford to throw 5m all willy nilly. He could have said the joke a million ways, without offering 5m to charities. That is why Maher's a jerkoff here. He could be making this joke to Hitler and he'd still be a bad guy, because bad guys promise to donate millions of dollars to charity and then not deliver. And who is trying to get over here? How is Maher not trying to get his name in the headlines by making an outlandish claim he could never hope to back up like this? Maher is trying to get over on Trump for his own benefit, and I hope someone makes him eat crow here. There's a lot of good that could be done from this, and if you're throwing things around like that on better shows than yours, in the desperate hope that someone will bother to watch your show, then you're doing it for publicity, and taunting charities for publicity is just about the worst thing I can think of, short of going right off the deep end.

Like, I get that Trump is a tool, but how can you hate someone so much that you abandon reason completely? Say what you will about Trump, he would have been man enough to give the donation if Obama had called him out on it. It's just poor form on Mahers part, and no amount of Donald Trump being a douche excuses going out of your way on Television to mock someone (and their mother) and then cap it all off by offering a phony donation to charities. That's wrong.

You are aware that Maher is a multimillionaire, right? You are aware that Maher hasn't responded, much less declined to pay up, right? You are aware that it was a joke, right?

No, of course it wasn't a joke. Because everyone knows when you challenge someone to do a ridiculously easy thing for a ridiculous amount of money, it's for real.

You are aware that Maher is a multimillionaire, right? You are aware that Maher hasn't responded, much less declined to pay up, right? You are aware that it was a joke, right?

No, of course it wasn't a joke. Because everyone knows when you challenge someone to do a ridiculously easy thing for a ridiculous amount of money, it's for real.

plus he just gave a Million to a super pac before the election.

I don't know if it's been updated but last i saw Mahers net worth was $23 Million, 5 million is nearly a quarter of his net worth if that's accurate it's not like it's an insignificant amount of money for him.

To touch, I will admit that I assumed Maher would be worth, at absolute most, 12-15m, which would make that a significant donation. Even if his net worth is 25m, that's still a large chunk of your retirement, and it has to be liquid assets that you can immediately move. Net worth can take so, so many forms.

I know he's a comedian, and I know it was probably a joke, and I do know he hasn't declined yet. If he pays up, I'll come eat crow. That's not the first time I've said that here, and I'm a man of my word when I'm wrong. All I am saying is, from a purely objective standpoint, if you make a claim on national television that you will donate money to charity, you are automatically a villain if you don't. It's not about Trump to me. I find that character laughable, and it's a huge indictment of the American banking system that people still lend him money. This is all about Maher. Do not, ever, under any circumstances, offer money to charity that you won't pay. If he pays it, good on him for making good, but I'm sincerely doubtful he'll come through with no pressure. To just go on his show tonight and say 'Well, I've been got. Here's 5 checks for $1m' - I just don't see it happening.

But again, I've been wrong. Once or twice. Not picking a fight, just suggesting that it's a trashy thing to joke about. There are people who need money a lot more than Bill Maher.

Donald Trump's daddy left him $400M when he died. I love how he always tries to come across as some sort of genius businessperson.

Donald Trump's daddy left him $400M when he died. I love how he always tries to come across as some sort of genius businessperson.

He definitely got a head start but he's turned that into close to 3 billion dollars so he's done pretty well for himself

I'm not a big fan of Trump as he gives right of centre a bad name. That being said, he is correct that now Bill Mahar has to "put up or shut up". 5 million is a lot of money, but he can easily just say he's not as wealthy as Trump and hold some charity event to raise funds and declare that Donald Trump match the total amount raised or something.

A little note: Anyone find it tiring that many comedians, actors, celebrities or whoever can say pretty much anything and whenever there's a backlash, they just do the whole "it's just a joke" routine?