The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trump releases birth certificate to Bill Maher, demands $5M

dudeone

I'm not a big fan of Trump as he gives right of centre a bad name. That being said, he is correct that now Bill Mahar has to "put up or shut up". 5 million is a lot of money, but he can easily just say he's not as wealthy as Trump and hold some charity event to raise funds and declare that Donald Trump match the total amount raised or something.

A little note: Anyone find it tiring that many comedians, actors, celebrities or whoever can say pretty much anything and whenever there's a backlash, they just do the whole "it's just a joke" routine?

Oh, and finally, I want to say that I'm not arguing that Trump has a legal case that is somehow airtight because he doesn't understand jokes. I'm sure Donald Trump understood that Maher was mocking him, it would be beyond daft to assume anything otherwise, because as you said, it was such an easy thing to prove and a fairly obvious parody of Trump's also ridiculous offer.

All I'm saying is, Trump is going to milk this for all it's worth. And Maher can only win if he pays out now. Because if he goes and says it was a joke, Trump will play a card similar to what I was saying and then it's all over the news. And Trump will win. Maybe not in court. He might lose there. But he will win because it will make Bill Maher look like an arsehole. And Trump will probably try and buy a little face by making the donations if Bill doesn't. I'm not dumb enough to realize that this is anything but a play on Trumps part. I'm just of the opinion that Maher left himself wide open to get hit here, and he has no one to blame but himself.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Eh, honestly, I'm on Trumps side, which feels foreign and weird. Maher had no reason to call him out, and by making such an outrageous public remark, he's on the hook. Maybe not for the 5m. I doubt Bill Maher has 5m to donate to charity. But he's going to look bad by backing out of a charity pledge, even if he claims it was an obvious parody. If you don't believe me, look at the backlash that Penny Arcade sent Jack Thompson's way when he said he would make a donation then backed out. Of course, no one is especially fond of Jack Thompson to begin with, but I don't know who is championing Bill Maher in any popularity contests.

So yeah. Trump is and will always be a doofus. But if someone said that to me on National TV, I'd put the ball back into his court and make him the chump, which is exactly what Trump has done now. Why would you sit by and take that when you COULD serve someone their ass publicly? Maher will go down like a villain, and if Trump is smart, he'll donate something to all 5 charities and look like a prince for doing so. Lord knows dude could use some image rehab.

He said he wanted proof that he wasn't the spawn of his mother having sex with an orangutan. How is that not a joke? Shocks me that some people are saying Maher needs to give him 5 million dollars. You can't possibly be that dense, can you? Just because you are a republican, does not mean that you have to automatically side with Trump here. Side with who is correct. We should all be united and laughing at Trump.

What's wrong with politics in the USA today is that people pick a side and follow blindly without thinking.

I'm not trying to pick on you, I just wanted to revisit this comment.

From a legal standpoint, Trump could have Maher. Because Maher made the offer, and it was clearly meant in opposition of Trumps very real offer, it can be assumed by a reasonable person that he was trying to show up Trump how Trump tried to show up Obama. However, by taking it absolutely seriously, if Trump can prove that a) the offer was never taken off the table and b- that he truly believed that Maher was making a legitimate offer, as his offer to Obama was legitimate, then it could be argued that Maher made a legitimate proposal to Trump. If Maher didn't go out of his way to say that he was joking, and he was mimicking Trump's offer, then Trump has every reason to believe that he's made a legitimate offer, if an ill-advised one. Like I said, don't care for Trump, I just don't think it's an alright thing to joke about, and if you are going to joke about it, you should make it plainly obvious, and maybe consider the quality of your material, because if you can't think up a better way to make the joke that Donald Trump looks like an Orangutan (and it's actually such a shockingly good comparison that I'm upset I didn't think of it first) then you probably shouldn't be working in comedy.

I'm curious to see how it unfolds, but understand that Trump is also exactly the kind of jackass who won't let Maher get away with this. At this point, it's not about whether Trump has a legitimate case, or whether Maher was joking or not. Because the person taking this intensely serious is Donald Trump, it's going to be a big deal, and Maher is not going to look good after it. Because Trump is a loudmouth prick.

Again, I didn't say it'd hold up in court. I'm saying Trump can take him to court on it, and then Maher looks like a villain in, let's say, maybe 40% of peoples eyes? And Maher doesn't have the name recognition to get into a circus with Trump. It's hardly an ironclad case. But it's ground to get it into court, and that is all kinds of bad for Bill Maher.

Again, I didn't say it'd hold up in court. I'm saying Trump can take him to court on it, and then Maher looks like a villain in, let's say, maybe 40% of peoples eyes? And Maher doesn't have the name recognition to get into a circus with Trump. It's hardly an ironclad case. But it's ground to get it into court, and that is all kinds of bad for Bill Maher.

It won't matter to some that the lawsuit would be frivolous, all that matters, to some people, is that Maher welched on an offer to give money to charity. It doesn't have to be reasonable, because not everyone is reasonable. I'm saying, Maher opened himself up, and if he doesn't pay, it's going to cost him in the long run, because no matter what, some people are only going to hear that the millionaire TV show host pledged a little of his many millions to charity, and then said it was a joke.

It won't matter to some that the lawsuit would be frivolous, all that matters, to some people, is that Maher welched on an offer to give money to charity. It doesn't have to be reasonable, because not everyone is reasonable. I'm saying, Maher opened himself up, and if he doesn't pay, it's going to cost him in the long run, because no matter what, some people are only going to hear that the millionaire TV show host pledged a little of his many millions to charity, and then said it was a joke.

Archived