The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van - NYI

So with this whole amnesty buyout option that we have this summer, it got me thinking on how we can take advantage. Considering we have money and there are teams that don't. We could take a really bad contact and just buy it out at the end of this season.

Van Gets :

John Tavares

Rich Di Peitro (buy out at the end of the season)

Matt Martin

NYI Gets:

Roberto Luongo

Mason Raymond

Dale Weise

Now for something like this to work

a) the Aqualini's are gonna have to be willing to spend some money.

B) Luongos gonna have to be willing to go to the islanders (hopefully gets tired of riding the pine, and wants to start somewhere. And sees a team that has a bunch of young up and comers (ie Niederreider, Reinhart, Strome, De Haan, Bailey)

c) Garth Snows gonna have to be willing to part with the face of his franchise. Hopefully the positives of this trade outweighs the negatives for him. And also Snow gonna have to value Luongo as a hockey player.

Vancouver does this:

We get some legit scoring and a guy that can help the us phase out the twins production dependency.

We also get one of the best 3/4 liners in the game in Martin.

NYI does this:

They unload the worst contact in the league in the Di Pietro deal. The way I see it this team could either :

- Buyout Di Pietro themselves (which I highly doubt they can do, considering their finances)

- Keep the contract and continue to cripple your franchise and continue to do nothing for the next 10 years.

or do this deal, even though you lose your best player, you get ride of this contact and gain one of the best goalies in the world for a 5.2 cap hit.

I know there's a lot of "what if's" in this trade, but I thought this would be something different from all the Leaf and Panther deals I've been hearing. Flame away.

You aren't the first person to think of this. Go check out some of the other proposals in the last several days and see what the responses are to people suggesting we take on massive contracts and buy them out as a favour to the other teams.

The Islanders will not trade John Tavares for Roberto Luongo, Mason Raymond and Dale Weise if that's what I just read.....

So with this whole amnesty buyout option that we have this summer, it got me thinking on how we can take advantage. Considering we have money and there are teams that don't. We could take a really bad contact and just buy it out at the end of this season.

Van Gets :

John Tavares

Rich Di Peitro (buy out at the end of the season)

Matt Martin

NYI Gets:

Roberto Luongo

Mason Raymond

Dale Weise

wait what. You're going to need Luongo, Edler and Kesler to get the isles thinking about moving Tavares. If Luongo is willing to go to the isles, I'd try something like this:

To New York Islanders:

Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver:

Nino Niederreiter

Kyle Okposo

2nd round pick

Archived