The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has anyone ever hit anyone with their car before?

Blue90

Smart cookies

I've never been in an accident before so I have no idea what to do. Also, how much of an increase am I looking at for my insurance premiums? Prior to this I've been driving 12 years without any accidents or tickets.

I keep thinking I'm gonna have to pony up thousands of dollars :(

Studying law at the moment. There is actually alot of factors that could prevent you from losing the case (ie. person you hit was under the influence, jaywalking, etc) but of course there are alot of factors that can cause you to lose the case as well.\

Also no, I have never hit anyone with my car, came close a few times though sadly enough.

I've hit lot's of people with my car before, it was awesome. The police will never catch me! Once they cornered me,but I hit them with my car too and drove off.*

* I then turn off my PS3 and drive to work in a respectable and defensive manner, obeying all traffic laws and law enforcement.

Since this thread has turned humourous, I'll contribute with a smirky fact:

A few years ago I was walking East on Broadway, at Birch, at night, and during a moderate west coast rain. No embellishment here to follow, but 1/3rd of a block away a car slowly approached the Broadway intersection. Keyword slowly.I maintained eye contact with the windshield, as the driver was toght to see at night, and as a stop sign was at the end of Birch, proceeded to soberly saunter across the intersection. Imagine my surprise when the vehicle slowed, yet did not stop. A California stop yielded a Hollywood hoodslide after the car bumper buckled my right knee. And I mean buckled. All strength left my leg and I folded right over the hood. It was a very bizarre sensation, that became immediately flooded with adrenaline. As I regained eye contact with the windshield (and here is the smirky part), I realized that the driver and passenger were looking left/west and beyond me, up the street to the direction they were intending to travel/turn. I BS you not, my even rolling off of the hood did not alert them, it was only when I realized their lack of awareness, and kicked the passenger sideview mirror clean off the car that they became aware of me.

You should have seen their faces. WE ARE UNDER ATTACK!

Idiots.

(the clean kick was part anger and part luck, I swear I do not know carate) ;)

On topic: If the accident was your fault. Pay the Fk attention to where you are going. If it was a genuine accident, of which there are many, you have nothing to worry about. The ICBC penalties are mimimal and you will regain your insurance savings in a couple years. Federally mind you, those penalties could have your knees buckling horribly for years to come.

I hope you enjoyed my moderate thread derail.

I love when people wear dark colored clothing at night and just assume everyone in the world can see them. The worst is when its raining and the road just reflects lights everywhere. Also these pedestrians crosswalks that have little to no markings yet people just walk across and not look both ways assuming cars are going to stop for them. I swear some people are trying to get hit.

Smart cookies

I've never been in an accident before so I have no idea what to do. Also, how much of an increase am I looking at for my insurance premiums? Prior to this I've been driving 12 years without any accidents or tickets.

I keep thinking I'm gonna have to pony up thousands of dollars :(

Check with a lawyer.

The Canadian Bar Association operates the Lawyer Referral Service where for a nominal fee you can consult with a lawyer for up to one-half hour.

Lawyer Referral Service

If you are a member of the public seeking legal assistance, the following information may assist you.

The Lawyer Referral Service (LRS) is funded by the Law Foundation of British Columbia and operated by the Canadian Bar Association British Columbia Branch. The LRS program enables the public to access lawyers practicing in the field of law required for the particular situation and provides the opportunity to have a consultation with a lawyer for up to 30 minutes for a fee of $25 plus tax.

Lawyers voluntarily join the service so not all lawyers in British Columbia are registered on the LRS program. After the consultation, the fees to be charged are strictly between the lawyer and the client. The lawyer is not obliged to accept the applicant’s case and the applicant is under no obligation to retain the lawyer.

How to Use the Lawyer Referral Service

The Lawyer Referral Service operates by telephone service. Please call during business hours, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday at 604.687.3221 or 1.800.663.1919. Operators are available to take your call. Once the area of law is determined the operator will provide you with the name and telephone number of a lawyer in your geographical area. You contact the lawyer to set up an appointment to meet. You are entitled to up to a half hour consultation for $25 (plus tax). This consultation is to determine whether or not you have a legal problem. If you know you have a legal problem and need to hire a lawyer, the Lawyer Referral Service can help you find a lawyer at their regular rate. Out-of-province and country requests can email

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a consultation?

It is a consultation between you and a lawyer to find out if you have a legal problem. Consultations are available only one per lawyer on a single issue.

Who sets up the consultation with the lawyer?

You have to make the appointment with the lawyer and tell both the lawyer and the receptionist that the Lawyer Referral Service referred you.

What happens after the consultation?

If you and the lawyer agree to proceed with legal action, you may hire the lawyer at their regular rate. Rates are strictly between you and the lawyer after the meeting.

What if I just want the lawyer to read or sign a document?

This will not be a part of the 30-minute consultation and the lawyer has the right to charge you their regular rate.

What if I already know that I have a legal problem?

Lawyer Referral Service can assist you by providing you with a lawyer’s name and telephone number for your legal problem at the lawyer’s regular rate.

What if I cannot afford a lawyer but need help?

There are other services available to assist you. Tell the operator that you would like to be directed to services that provide assistance to those who cannot afford a lawyer.

What are the benefits of the Lawyer Referral Service?

The Lawyer Referral Service will help you to find a lawyer who practises in the area of law that meets your needs. The service can also help you to find a lawyer who meets specific requirements such as speaking a certain language or accepts Legal Aid. If available, lawyers participating in the service will offer you up to a half-hour consultation for $25 plus tax. After the consultation, you can decide if you want to hire the lawyer to work for you.

What happens when I call the Lawyer Referral Service?

When you call the Lawyer Referral Service, an operator will answer and ask you some questions like:
  • What is the issue regarding?

• Where in British Columbia do you want to meet with a lawyer?

The operator can also assist you with your special needs – for instance, finding a lawyer who speaks a certain language, called to another Bar (Province) or accepts Legal Aid. When there’s a match, you will be given the name and telephone number of a lawyer.

Call the lawyer’s office to arrange a meeting. Be sure to inform the lawyer you were referred by the Lawyer Referral Service. If the lawyer is not available when you call, please leave your name and number and allow the lawyer 24 hours to return your call.

I met with the lawyer though LRS but didn’t feel comfortable. Can I find another lawyer?

Yes, definitely. You are under no obligation to hire the lawyer whose name you got from the Lawyer Referral Service.

http://www.cba.org/b...r_referral.aspx

It is a good idea to write everything down describing the circumstances in a chronological order, any persons you spoke with (and what you said) as well as any police reports, documents, etc. The more prepared you are the better use the lawyer can make of your consultation.

I love when people wear dark colored clothing at night and just assume everyone in the world can see them. The worst is when its raining and the road just reflects lights everywhere. Also these pedestrians crosswalks that have little to no markings yet people just walk across and not look both ways assuming cars are going to stop for them. I swear some people are trying to get hit.

If you're desperate enough to end up asking CDC for legal advice, you clearly didn't leave the scene fast enough.

Next time pay more attention to a quick exit. Make sure nobody sees your face, and burn enough rubber to obscure anyone from identifying your license plate.

Rookies.

Whether you hit someone as in a pedestrian or someone in their car makes a huge difference.

I've "bumped" into cars before, nothing big, and never into a car with someone into it. Just parked cars, lol. I suck at backing up.

Archived