The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did the possible Lu trade cost burke his job?

ILL BILL NECRO

As long as Mike Gillis can get a good player that can help this team win a Cup and a prospect or two for the future, I could care less where Luongo gets traded. If it is TO, Philly or even a team in our division, just get it done and make this team better long term.

As far as TO, Luongo can put the Leafs in the playoffs for the 1st time in 9 years, that is why they want him.....making the playoffs is worth huge dollars and that is all that matters. The owner is probaly putting Nonis in to get the deal done even at a slight cost to the future. All those playoff dollars make a top prospect like Gardiner expendable.

I also heard a rumour that Burke was fired because the rest of the management wanted to go through with a Luongo deal but Burke himself didn't.

I'm skeptical of this rumour, but seeing as how someone else just commented on the same rumour I'd say it's a SMALL possibility. I watched on TSN also that MLSE wanted a more "democratic" GM and claimed that Burke was running a "dictatorship" over the management. Maybe his dictator-like style shown with this Luongo deal was the last straw?

All speculation, but it's still worth trying to unravel the reasoning behind this incredibly strange timing.

It takes more than a potential trade going south for a GM to get fired.

Luongo is just the latest in a looooooong list of players that 'could've gone to TO.'

This was all about Rogers/Bell and how they thought of Burke. Burke had multiple run-ins with the media there. He banned some. He made himself hard to deal with for others. And he was generally disliked by multiple Rogers/Bell people. So what do you think two corporate media giants would think of that?

SEE ya!

Totally not a hockey move. Sorry Strombone1, but having a rule named after you is enough. You don't control the destinies of GM's around the league,

A: The deal was in place and was about to be final and the owners thought Burke was giving up to much and selling the farm to get luongo, soooo they axed him.

I hope it is this because there ain't a dam thing the Canucks should be excited about in regards to what is realistically on the table.

The nucks won't get anything more than the Nash return

2 lower 9 forwards

a mid level prospect

1st

is what CLB got

Am i the only one who believes that keeping lou for this season is a good thing?

What if he does like Thomas and show the new hot goalie ,who everybody thinks is the starter, whos the boss!!

What if toronto dont make the playoff this year either. Wouldn't that make them pay almst anything for lou?

I know theres alot of what ifs but

...... what if

No.. :sadno: Somebody has been paying toooooo much attention to the TSN panel of 'experts'.

I'm sure that if I sucked at my job and hadn't produced any real results in over 6 years I could expect myself to get fired too. Honestly Burke was lucky to have held onto the GM position for as long as he did..

I think this is all stuff being put out by the Canucks to drive a market that wasn't there. I think they are floating that Burke wouldn't deal for Luongo so he was let go. And it's a brilliant move!

The reality is that Burke has had a really rough few years with his son passing and the pressure of working in Toronto. I think it was time for him to go but that he has left Nonnis with some good stuff to work with. I know people on here like to make fun of the Leafs and their talent but there is talent in Toronto and most of it is young.

And Nonnis isn't an idiot. He isn't going to make a bad trade for Luongo just to make his new bosses happy. And lets be honest. The new bosses really only care about the bottom line. They have to. They have share holders to answer to. Hockey decisions are irrelevant.

Archived