Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Did the possible Lu trade cost burke his job?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 canuckfansincebirth

canuckfansincebirth

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Heard from a source it has more to do with personal issues than anything else. Thus the keeping him on as "advisor" thing.

(First post back at cdc since summer btw, good to be back!)
I BELIEVE.
Stanley 2013

#32 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,228 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

Wasn't it Nonis who traded for Luongo in 2006? Hopefully history repeats itself.

I hope it doesn't repeat itself as the team Lou came from got royally screwed in the deal.
Posted Image

#33 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,374 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:50 AM

Heard from a source it has more to do with personal issues than anything else. Thus the keeping him on as "advisor" thing.

(First post back at cdc since summer btw, good to be back!)

Yea, I don't like spreading rumors, but apparently his marriage is going through some tough times, and he just couldn't handle the stress of the job any more.

Believe that or not. But I don't think it was anything to do with not trading for Luongo.

If they were really unhappy with him, they wouldn't keep him on their staff.

Edited by DeNiro, 10 January 2013 - 02:53 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#34 darkpoet

darkpoet

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:00 AM

_

Edited by darkpoet, 10 January 2013 - 04:01 AM.

#35 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

A: The deal was in place and was about to be final and the owners thought Burke was giving up to much and selling the farm to get luongo, soooo they axed him.

I hope it is this because there ain't a dam thing the Canucks should be excited about in regards to what is realistically on the table.

The nucks won't get anything more than the Nash return
2 lower 9 forwards
a mid level prospect
1st
is what CLB got

Edited by Noheart, 10 January 2013 - 05:22 AM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#36 reversedplayoffbeard

reversedplayoffbeard

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

Am i the only one who believes that keeping lou for this season is a good thing?
What if he does like Thomas and show the new hot goalie ,who everybody thinks is the starter, whos the boss!!
What if toronto dont make the playoff this year either. Wouldn't that make them pay almst anything for lou?
I know theres alot of what ifs but
...... what if

#37 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

I hope this is true and another team ends up getting Luo instead like Philly or Florida lol. Let the bidding war begin.

#38 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Hopefully we'll get a better return than Florida did......

Dont count on it. Luongo is a lot less desirable now than he was in 2006.

#39 TLindenIsGod

TLindenIsGod

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

No.. :sadno: Somebody has been paying toooooo much attention to the TSN panel of 'experts'.
I'm sure that if I sucked at my job and hadn't produced any real results in over 6 years I could expect myself to get fired too. Honestly Burke was lucky to have held onto the GM position for as long as he did..

#40 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

I think this is all stuff being put out by the Canucks to drive a market that wasn't there. I think they are floating that Burke wouldn't deal for Luongo so he was let go. And it's a brilliant move!

The reality is that Burke has had a really rough few years with his son passing and the pressure of working in Toronto. I think it was time for him to go but that he has left Nonnis with some good stuff to work with. I know people on here like to make fun of the Leafs and their talent but there is talent in Toronto and most of it is young.

And Nonnis isn't an idiot. He isn't going to make a bad trade for Luongo just to make his new bosses happy. And lets be honest. The new bosses really only care about the bottom line. They have to. They have share holders to answer to. Hockey decisions are irrelevant.

#41 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,587 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Nonis on radio this morning was adamant he would not trade away young prospects/talent for anything but a similarly aged player to fill a need at a different position. Gardiner was mentioned specifically.

If he is true to his word, I can't see how a deal can be made with TO . Certainly MG isn't going to let Lu go for some older TO player(s).

Also, this could be an indication that ownership thought BB was about to give up too much youth/potential to land LU and that would explain the timing of letting him go...just before the ratification of the new CBA.

#42 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Also, this could be an indication that ownership thought BB was about to give up too much youth/potential to land LU and that would explain the timing of letting him go...just before the ratification of the new CBA.

Or, it could be that Burke still didn't want to give up enough to get the deal done, assuming Gardiner wasn't part of the discussion.

Maybe he was offering a deal that King would applaud (a bucket of used tape and Komisarek for Luongo and a 1st), and with his departure the Leafs might now extend a more reasonable return, but still not overpay.

Or, it might not have anything to do with hockey operations and have everything to do with team image. :)

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#43 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,494 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Yes.

#44 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,475 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Burke was fired because the Luongo crime syndicate put a hit out on his job.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#45 Canucklehead420

Canucklehead420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hopefully we'll get a better return than Florida did......

Nonis isnt dealing with Keenan this time around so even though Lu is older the return should be significantly higher

#46 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Maybe one of the reasons (if there were reasons) that Lu didn't want to got TO was Burke being there. Maybe a Nonis coached team would be more appealing.

Whatever, we better get "a player we need" as opposed to a player who is good and available when /if Lu goes. We need some big aggressive bodies in this team..........guys who will wear down the opposition like other teams do to us.

Edited by Bodee, 10 January 2013 - 01:32 PM.

Kevin.jpg

#47 ILL BILL NECRO

ILL BILL NECRO

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

Nonis on radio this morning was adamant he would not trade away young prospects/talent for anything but a similarly aged player to fill a need at a different position. Gardiner was mentioned specifically.

If he is true to his word, I can't see how a deal can be made with TO . Certainly MG isn't going to let Lu go for some older TO player(s).

This is how I feel......
Posted Image

#48 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Whether TO gets Lou or not, i think Nonis is the right guy.

Nonis turned down trades when he was here that involved schneids and edler going the other way. At that point they were just young prospects, but think if he would have pulled the trigger on that?

I think Nonis is a good gm, ans he did not deserve to get fired here, but i also think Gillis is a better GM so whattya do?

Toronto has given up way to much for mediocre players under burke and nonis has to fix that.

#49 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Am I the only one who thinks we are going to be screwed on Lu deal?

Some of the names mentioned make me shiver. Put it this way we know what we need................will we get it?
Kevin.jpg

#50 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Guess they want Cory instead. Well, they will have to give up ++ more for him!

#51 I Got A Boy

I Got A Boy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

well he's been gm for the last several years and for one season the team hasnt made playoffs so.... it's more to do with overall gming

a single prospective trade wont get a gm fired

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.