The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When Lu gets traded we will need to acquire a veteran goalie

briana

In an interview Francois Allaire stated that the problem with Toronto s goaltending last year

was the fact that they put their faith in 2 rather inexperienced and young goalies.

Even though Reimer was exceptional the previous year when Giguere was there, last year he just collapsed under the pressure.

Vancouver would make the same mistake going with Schneider and Lack in nets.

Who should we get as a backup then....

Roloson would be a good mentor if he is able and wants to play another year. Brent Johnson would be not bad either perhaps. Last year was a bit of a struggle where he went 6-7-2 but the 3 years before that he went 12-6-2 10-6-1 13-5-3.

roloson would be a horrible choice. its always better if there is someone pushing the starter not just a bench warmer.

shnieds isn't a rookie he been around for a few years now, he had a great mentor. time is now for him to prove himself.

maybe not a rookie back up but not a 40 year old one either.

The problem with Toronto was they put their faith in two young goalies who haven't had an experienced mentor for the last few years. On top of that, neither goalie was very good.

Schneider is mature, composed, and has been groomed by Lu for a while now. On top of that, he's a friggin fantastic goaltender. He'll be fine.

That said, I'd want a decent back-up goaltender in case Cory gets injured. If he's out for a few weeks in a shortened season, and Lack proves not to be ready, that could put us out of the playoffs.

The problem with Toronto was they put their faith in two young goalies who haven't had an experienced mentor for the last few years. On top of that, neither goalie was very good.

Schneider is mature, composed, and has been groomed by Lu for a while now. On top of that, he's a friggin fantastic goaltender. He'll be fine.

That said, I'd want a decent back-up goaltender in case Cory gets injured. If he's out for a few weeks in a shortened season, and Lack proves not to be ready, that could put us out of the playoffs.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest Reimer wouldn't be a bad back-up goalie. He's easy-going, teammates love him, and he has enough skill to steal an odd game for your team (you don't get 3 SO's on the Laffs unless you can play). 1.8 cap hit is not bad either.

I'd certainly prefer him over a washed-up dinosaur like Roloson or Turco.

Archived