121 replies to this topic

#31 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Problem with a "guard" at every school is then the gunman just makes sure to locate and take out said "guard" first .. solution is to arm every single American citizen and give each of them their weight in sabre-tipped bullets ..

Another of the continuing benefits of American obesity.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#32 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Well this is going to drive the NRA's Wayne Lapierre (further) around the bend. You seemingly cannot keep this stuff out of the media it seems and the public just will not forget. As reported by The Onion:

Frustrated Wayne LaPierre Thought Murder Of 20 Children By Crazed Gunman Would Have Blown Over By Now

More than three weeks after the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, annoyed NRA president Wayne LaPierre told reporters Monday that while he understands the seriousness of the tragedy, he had only assumed the senseless murder of 20 first-graders and six educators by a mentally unstable gunman would have blown over by now.

Noting that the massacre was “almost a month ago” and that all of the victims had been laid to rest, the frustrated lobbyist said he couldn’t help but think the nation’s continued efforts to mourn victims and its protracted discussions of gun control were “a little much” at this point.

“I get that this horrible thing happened and all these kids are dead now, but honestly, how long are we going to keep talking about this?” the gun advocate said as he scanned a recent editorial on weapons permits, adding that “enough’s enough, you know?” “Everywhere I go it’s Newtown this, Newtown that. Meanwhile, it’s 2013, and we’re still talking about some shooting that happened last year. Seriously, move on already.”

http://www.theonion....f-20-chi,30813/

NOTE - The Onion is a satiric take on the news and the story is fictional
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#33 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

And it is taking a toll on the future of 'Murica... think of the children!!!!

HOUSTON—Describing his second heart failure in the span of two years as “a real wake up call,” obese 6-year-old Nicholas Bleyer announced Tuesday that he was finally trying to turn his life around.

The 155-pound kindergartner, who previously underwent bypass surgery in 2011 after going into cardiac arrest on a local seesaw, was reportedly at home eating a post-breakfast snack when he began complaining of chest pain and had to be rushed to the hospital.

“After the second ‘big one,’ I figured my body was clearly sending me the message that I can’t go on living like this,” said Bleyer, pausing to catch his breath. “I’m serious this time. I’ve gotta start eating right, going to sleep at my bedtime, and getting some exercise instead of sitting on my ass all day watching Bubble Guppies marathons.”

“The old ticker’s taken enough abuse already,” continued the overweight kindergartner. “I’m not looking to test fate here.”

Admitting that he still suffered from some bad habits he picked up early in life, the 6-year-old vowed to reduce his caloric intake by cutting down on eating chicken fingers, hot dogs, and toaster pastries, as well as sticking to juice boxes instead of soda.

As per his pediatrician’s orders, Bleyer also said he planned to begin a cardio workout routine that makes sense for someone his age, alternating days between chasing insects, spinning around in circles, and doing some “light playground work.”

Yet despite his newfound resolve, Bleyer acknowledged that he should have been more aware of the warning signs in recent years.

“My friends and I have always been big guys, but when my old preschool buddy Ethan dropped dead of a heart attack a few years ago while stacking blocks, that should have set off alarm bells,” said Bleyer, who also had lost an obese classmate who never woke up from naptime. “At the time I remember promising myself I’d join a Gymboree, but of course I never did. And now look at me. I’ve got the arteries of someone 12 times my age.”

“Luckily, I’ve been given a second chance to work off this guy,” said the child, patting his gut.

While the 6-year-old acknowledged that he had “dodged a bullet this time,” Bleyer told reporters that he wished he still had the stamina to play tag with the youngsters like he used to without feeling like his chest was going to explode.

“I’m just grateful to get a new lease on life,” said the kindergartner. “If I eat right and stay active, who knows, maybe I could live to see double digits.”

http://www.theonion.com/articles/overweight-6yearold-vows-to-change-lifestyle-after,30856/

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#34 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Did anyone watch Jon Stewart's Tuesday show? Virtually devoid of comedy, he soberly addresses the subject of gun violence.

Followed by an interview with with former general Stanley McCrystal who recently uttered: “I spent a career carrying typically either an M16 or an M4 Carbine. An M4 Carbine fires a .223 caliber round which is 5.56 mm at about 3000 feet per second. When it hits a human body, the effects are devastating. It’s designed for that,” McChrystal explained. “That’s what our soldiers ought to carry. I personally don’t think there’s any need for that kind of weaponry on the streets and particularly around the schools in America.”
“Hi Nigel, just a quick note to say that I am always ready to do exactly what is asked but it would have been a great help to know in advance what the strategy was.”

- Carolyn Stewart Olsen, Conservative Senator.

#35 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Did anyone watch Jon Stewart's Tuesday show? Virtually devoid of comedy, he soberly addresses the subject of gun violence.

Followed by an interview with with former general Stanley McCrystal who recently uttered: “I spent a career carrying typically either an M16 or an M4 Carbine. An M4 Carbine fires a .223 caliber round which is 5.56 mm at about 3000 feet per second. When it hits a human body, the effects are devastating. It’s designed for that,” McChrystal explained. “That’s what our soldiers ought to carry. I personally don’t think there’s any need for that kind of weaponry on the streets and particularly around the schools in America.”

PHHHTTTT!!!!!!!

What would he know about firearms, eh?

#36 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Here is the link to that interview.
http://tv.msnbc.com/...ds-not-schools/

#37 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

PHHHTTTT!!!!!!!

What would he know about firearms, eh?

B-b-b-but how will the American Patriots defend their beloved nation from a tyrannical government hell-bent on taking their (remaining) rights?
“Hi Nigel, just a quick note to say that I am always ready to do exactly what is asked but it would have been a great help to know in advance what the strategy was.”

#38 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

I'm just curious, did the fact that armed guards were completely ineffective even register with you? Or are you just going to make the same post in a month about armed guards preventing shootings?

I'm curious, do we even know if there were armed guards there? I'm just asking questions you're putting words in my mouth and assuming what I think.

There's prob more armed guards @ schools than anyone thinks, but somehow it's been twisted because some gun nut said we should have armed guards at every school. Now it's a circus. Fact is a lot of schools do have armed guards and police are always at or near schools. Never said it would prevent it from happening.

The question should be How do we get these MENTALLY ILL people off the streets long before they get their hands on a gun. Because in most if not all these shootings people around them Knew something was wrong but did'nt know what or who to call. or just chose to ignore it.

#39 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

was'nt aware Columbine had armed guards. they failed I guess.

Being unaware seems a problem when one debates. eh?

That is the point - they did fail.

And they were veteran trained police officers not some NRA yahoo playing Dirty Harry.
http://www.huffingto..._n_2347096.html

#40 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

I'm curious, do we even know if there were armed guards there? I'm just asking questions you're putting words in my mouth and assuming what I think.

There's prob more armed guards @ schools than anyone thinks, but somehow it's been twisted because some gun nut said we should have armed guards at every school. Now it's a circus. Fact is a lot of schools do have armed guards and police are always at or near schools. Never said it would prevent it from happening.

The question should be How do we get these MENTALLY ILL people off the streets long before they get their hands on a gun. Because in most if not all these shootings people around them Knew something was wrong but did'nt know what or who to call. or just chose to ignore it.

Do tell, what words did I put in your mouth? Your post, your words.

How many shootings happen @ private schools? prob not many as most if not all of them have armed guards.

I don't know about you, but to me that says "armed guards prevent shootings".

As for "do we know?" question, yes we do. Virginia Tech has a whole police department, the VTPD, with 49 full-time officers. And Columbine had an assigned deputy who was eating lunch in his squad car when the shooting started (per Wikipedia).

It's unfortunate that "mental illness" has become the catch-all of gun trouble in America. Nothing is even entertained by the pro-gun folks, it's all about the crazy people.

#41 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Well this is going to drive the NRA's Wayne Lapierre (further) around the bend. You seemingly cannot keep this stuff out of the media it seems and the public just will not forget. As reported by The Onion:

Frustrated Wayne LaPierre Thought Murder Of 20 Children By Crazed Gunman Would Have Blown Over By Now

More than three weeks after the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, annoyed NRA president Wayne LaPierre told reporters Monday that while he understands the seriousness of the tragedy, he had only assumed the senseless murder of 20 first-graders and six educators by a mentally unstable gunman would have blown over by now.

Noting that the massacre was “almost a month ago” and that all of the victims had been laid to rest, the frustrated lobbyist said he couldn’t help but think the nation’s continued efforts to mourn victims and its protracted discussions of gun control were “a little much” at this point.

“I get that this horrible thing happened and all these kids are dead now, but honestly, how long are we going to keep talking about this?” the gun advocate said as he scanned a recent editorial on weapons permits, adding that “enough’s enough, you know?” “Everywhere I go it’s Newtown this, Newtown that. Meanwhile, it’s 2013, and we’re still talking about some shooting that happened last year. Seriously, move on already.”

http://www.theonion....f-20-chi,30813/

What a hero...... :sick:

Does he really think that voicing those sentiments publicly is going to earn him (or the NRA) any brownie points even with members of the NRA? What a crass, sorry sad excuse of a human being......maybe he should look into membership at the Westboro Baptist Church office while he's out and about busy spewing such trash in public.

Edit: It was a gotcha......not bad, only the first time in many years I got sucked in...damned flu.

Note to self: Always highlight any area of blankness in a post.....you never know what might be hiding in there. <_<

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 10 January 2013 - 04:06 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#42 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Being unaware seems a problem when one debates. eh?

That is the point - they did fail.

And they were veteran trained police officers not some NRA yahoo playing Dirty Harry.
http://www.huffingto..._n_2347096.html

It also seems like a trend.

#43 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

It's weird how so many shootings are happening lately...

Lately??

You guys must have just started paying attention to the news.

#44 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Lately??

You guys must have just started paying attention to the news.

Is Hobble made of two midgets standing on top of on another?

#45 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Posted Image

#46 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Hobble is made of two pedants who can defy physics by standing on top of one another.

0/10

Edited by zaibatsu, 10 January 2013 - 03:37 PM.

#47 canadiancon

canadiancon

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

There is nothing special about what round the army uses., have a look at any rifle ballistics that can be bought. A .300 win mag will fire a 200 grain bullet (.223 is 50 grain) and 3000 feet per second and hit at 3200 ft pounds at 100 yards.

A .223 will hit with 900 foot pounds at 100 yards.
Hell a .17 hmr fires at over 4000 feet per second.

Sure that Bullet still kills people, but to say that kind of weaponry is not needed on the street? Any rifle is dangerous in the wrong hands.

#48 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

What a hero...... :sick:

Does he really think that voicing those sentiments publicly is going to earn him (or the NRA) any brownie points even with members of the NRA? What a crass, sorry sad excuse of a human being......maybe he should look into membership at the Westboro Baptist Church office while he's out and about busy spewing such trash in public.

You may wish to use your mouse to highlight the area in my post after the hyperlink.

#49 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

You may wish to use your mouse to highlight the area in my post after the hyperlink.

:lol:

She's a bit slow. Give her time.

Edited by zaibatsu, 10 January 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#50 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Shoulda guessed when I thought I saw 'onion' in the link...... not much point in changing my post now it's been quoted.

#51 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hmmm, taken in once in let's see...........several years, yep, that's pretty ******* slow, alright. PO&SS.

#52 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Hobble is made of two pedants who can defy physics by standing on top of one another.

0/10

Zero out of ten second time in a row? You sir, do not appreciate humor.

The true beauty of The Onion is that their satire is so close to truth it can easily be mistaken for such, and often is. Hardly a reason for an insult, but it seems none is needed with you.

#53 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

I have observed the same of you but I would say SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW........

#54 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,228 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Always with the personal insults.

Does it make you feel better trying to make others feel bad ?

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#55 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Shoulda guessed when I thought I saw 'onion' in the link...... not much point in changing my post now it's been quoted.

Heck even The People’s Daily, the official newspaper of the Chinese Communist Party was taken in by The Onion:
Posted Image

http://www.washingto...tate-newspaper/

Nothing wrong with a "GOTCHA" and a little good-natured ribbing, eh??? ::D

#56 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Ok So armed guards are no good thanks for the info. I am so glad we can now agree on that. good luck banning guns in the USA. more shootings will happen that's what crazy people do. just ignore them and take the guns away from everyone else.

#57 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Ok So armed guards are no good thanks for the info. I am so glad we can now agree on that. good luck banning guns in the USA. more shootings will happen that's what crazy people do. just ignore them and take the guns away from everyone else.

So tell me, how would the crazy gunman from Newtown get his hands on the rifle if his beloved late mother wasn't an enthusiast? How's about the guy who shot those firefighters getting a gun bought for him by his neighbour (she'll probably do time for it)?

Crazy people kill typically with legally purchased guns (more than 3/4). Not that anyone is saying mental illness shouldn't be a focus, I'm simply saying it's not the answer. Of course, you know that but you needed another strawman.

Shootings are happening and guns haven't been taken away. It's clear (I hope) that presence of good guys with guns doesn't stop bad guys with guns. And now you know that most guns used in shootings are legal.

Time to dig in and dismiss all this data that you learned today.

#58 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Ok, I'm convinced. Ban guns. I don't own one. only criminals and police should have them. seems to be only people who have them here in Canada. Crazy people here just saw your head off on a bus or slice you up with a knife stuff you in a bag. Keeps the death count down with only knives and machetes.

Edited by Dittohead, 10 January 2013 - 04:48 PM.

#59 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

So tell me, how would the crazy gunman from Newtown get his hands on the rifle if his beloved late mother wasn't an enthusiast? How's about the guy who shot those firefighters getting a gun bought for him by his neighbour (she'll probably do time for it)?

Crazy people kill typically with legally purchased guns (more than 3/4). Not that anyone is saying mental illness shouldn't be a focus, I'm simply saying it's not the answer. Of course, you know that but you needed another strawman.

Shootings are happening and guns haven't been taken away. It's clear (I hope) that presence of good guys with guns doesn't stop bad guys with guns. And now you know that most guns used in shootings are legal.

Time to dig in and dismiss all this data that you learned today.

Well if she had them locked away but then again he just killed her and stole her guns. she knew the kid was a whack job just did'nt do anything and showed poor judgement having those weapons in the house.
anyway I'm all for banning guns now. they are bad.

#60 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Well if she had them locked away but then again he just killed her and stole her guns. she knew the kid was a whack job just did'nt do anything and showed poor judgement having those weapons in the house.
anyway I'm all for banning guns now. they are bad.

They are the root of all evil. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.