Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

2 reported dead in California high school shooting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
121 replies to this topic

#121 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,567 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

"Warlike" = foreign policy.
"eliminate senseless murders" = fiction/fantasy land, there is no country that has eliminated senseless murders.

"No need to worry about children being murdered" = media driven hysteria and caricature of gun owners.

Why should any of these assertions be taken seriously again? You look far more like the "paranoid" you accuse gun owners of being.

Thousands dead in Vietnam. Thousands more in Iraq and Afghanistan. Still thousands more on 9/11. Hows that "foreign policy" working out for you?

No country has eliminated senseless murders. Correct. However, many (like my own) have made it more difficult. The problem is, when a country vehemently resists these efforts, they are doomed to see more and more of them and at a far greater rate than countries that have made the effort.

"Media driven hysteria" seems to be your go-to phrase for anything you can't explain. The fact is mass shootings in the US have been going on for quite a while. It's not like the mdeia has decided to stir up a frenzy all of a sudden. They're just reporting on what they see and what they see is a lot of people who are finally waking up and saying "enough is enough".

As far as me being more paranoid than the gun nuts, I'd be willing to bet that there will be another mass shooting in the US before the government takes away all US citizens' rights and becomes a dictatorship. We'll revisit this when one or the other happens...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#122 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Thousands dead in Vietnam. Thousands more in Iraq and Afghanistan. Still thousands more on 9/11. Hows that "foreign policy" working out for you?

Working out for me like how? I'm not the US government, and this is not a discussion of foreign policy. I'd suggest the tangent in another thread where it would be more applicable. Clearly you're starving for foreign policy debate.

No country has eliminated senseless murders. Correct. However, many (like my own) have made it more difficult. The problem is, when a country vehemently resists these efforts, they are doomed to see more and more of them and at a far greater rate than countries that have made the effort.

Sources for such claims about the US being doomed? They've had guns aplenty for their entire existence. Of course, you have no idea what hyperbole is, so we'll skip that part.

"Media driven hysteria" seems to be your go-to phrase for anything you can't explain. The fact is mass shootings in the US have been going on for quite a while. It's not like the mdeia has decided to stir up a frenzy all of a sudden. They're just reporting on what they see and what they see is a lot of people who are finally waking up and saying "enough is enough".

Reporting on what they see, and that's it? Haha. Not even close. Do you really need a video showing Bob Costas ranting during a football game about gun control?

The funny thing about this is during the very first day of the Sandy Hook shooting, gun control were common cries, but for those talking about the right to bear arms, this is a no-no, how dare one be so insensitive about the victims and their families! :lol:

Gun control talk was all over CNN, and is still amongst the top headlines today. This is not "reporting" news. You might want to revise your self imposed naivety in believing the media is innocuously "reporting".

As far as me being more paranoid than the gun nuts, I'd be willing to bet that there will be another mass shooting in the US before the government takes away all US citizens' rights and becomes a dictatorship. We'll revisit this when one or the other happens...

Wow, you'd be willing to bet on something that historically happens regardless of gun laws. That sure is a brave bet. I bet there will be mass shootings with and without gun bans. We'll revisit when the gun ban is in place when there is a mass shooting how much gun wielding criminals care about following gun ban laws, then we can also talk about, once again, how useless these laws are in deterring them.

Edited by zaibatsu, 11 January 2013 - 02:03 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.