#1 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,012 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

TSN's Bobby Mack sez:

Now that the CBA has been ratified by NHL owners, the New York Rangers have to decide how to proceed with Wade Redden.

In the old CBA, it wasn't too difficult to figure out. Because a player could be "buried" in the minors and not count against the team's NHL salary cap, sending Redden to the AHL farm team in Hartford was simple and easy.

Out of sight, out of mind, off the salary cap.

But there's a provision in the new CBA that doesn't allow the hiding of NHL contracts in the minors, save the first $900,000. So Redden, with a cap hit of $6.5 million in each of this season and next, means the Rangers are now faced with using valuable cap space on a player who is not remotely part of coach John Tortorella's plans.

So now what?

The Rangers actually have three options but probably only one that makes sense.

It would be nice for the Rangers to entirely get rid of Redden's cap hit this season and next but what's behind Door No. 1 isn't an attractive option. That is, give up an asset or assets (draft picks and/or prospects) as inducements to get another team with lots of cap space to take Redden in a trade.

The Rangers won't like that because they don't want to deplete any future considerations on what amounts to a housekeeping matter for them.

Door No. 2 would be to send Redden to the AHL, absorb his $5 million-plus cap hit this season, which they have room for because teams can spend to $70M this season, and then use a compliance buyout this summer to erase the problem for next season. Compliance buyouts do not count against the salary cap.

But that route is fraught with peril. If Redden were to get hurt in the AHL this season and the injury carried over to the summer, an injured player cannot be bought out. Were that to happen, the Rangers could get saddled with Redden's full $6.5M cap hit next season and under no circumstances can they allow that to occur. Next year's cap shrinks to $64.3M and it would be a disaster if the Rangers had to account for Redden's $5M+ instead of having no cap hit on a compliance buyout.

Which bring us to Door No. 3.

The only other option for the Rangers is to take Redden's cap hit this season but not play him. Not in New York. Not in the AHL. Not anywhere.

Put him in bubble wrap, cold storage and call it a year. Make sure his cheques show up on time and wait for the compliance buyout period this summer and cut all ties.

The Rangers are still reviewing the new CBA but sometime before training camps open on Sunday they'll have to come to terms with what's behind one of the three doors.

It would seem obvious which door they'll choose.

I'm glad that they finally did something about NY and other teams burying contracts in the minors. The Redden contract mistake will affect NY is some negative way this season, certainly. Good.

I wonder if they'd be able to trade him though, even if they wanted to. Tough pill to swallow for any team.
Posted Image

#2 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,097 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

I'm glad that they finally did something about NY and other teams burying contracts in the minors. The Redden contract mistake will affect NY is some negative way this season, certainly. Good.

I wonder if they'd be able to trade him though, even if they wanted to. Tough pill to swallow for any team.

Maybe there's a team out there that could use Redden's cap hit to make sure they get to the floor?
Posted Image

#3 Nas19

Nas19

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Maybe there's a team out there that could use Redden's cap hit to make sure they get to the floor?

Every team is already at the $44 Mil floor.

EDIT: I kind of feel bad for Redden as he probably won't get to play anywhere this year. I know he's making a load of money but still it has got to suck that you can't even play hockey because your contract is a joke. Honestly Redden could still be playing in the NHL as a 5th or 6th d man. That contract of his just completely screws him though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Redden in the N after this stupid contract of his is through.

Edited by Nas19, 10 January 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#4 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,651 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

I have completely forgotten about Redden. Hard to imagine a player with such a large cap-hit being hidden in the AHL for years.

Was he even worth the 6.5mil cap hit when they signed him, or was it just a feeding frenzy on July 1st?

#5 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,379 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I think he's on a Giet.

Subbancopy.jpg

#6 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,097 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Every team is already at the $44 Mil floor.

There goes that idea then.

I haven't seen him play in so long, was he really that bad? I understand him not being worth $6.5M, but is he not of value to any team in the NHL?
Posted Image

#7 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Glad that that was addressed. I think though that they'll end up playing him since they're already paying for him. He can't be worse than 6 of their D I'd imagine.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#8 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Can he not play the 3rd pairing until being bought out this summer?

#9 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,951 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

His last two season in Conneticut:
2011/12: 49gp, 4g, 16a, 20pts, -8
2010/11: 70gp, 8g, 34a, 42pts, -1

Hardly compelling numbers, but he could be a could 5/6 guy that can fill in as a top 4 if his salary was reasonable.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#10 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,951 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Can he not play the 3rd pairing until being bought out this summer?

He could play in the NHL, the AHL or elsewhere, but the argument is if he plays but gets an injury that lasts into the summer, they can't buy him out while he's injured. Then they'd be stuck with his salary when the cap goes down to $64M, which is very bad.

#11 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

But again, if he gets injured, they can't buy him out in the summer.

#12 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Ok, but even if he did get injured, wouldn't it be in his best interest to say he's good to go. I'm sure he would prefer being bought out.

#13 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

He could play in the NHL, the AHL or elsewhere, but the argument is if he plays but gets an injury that lasts into the summer, they can't buy him out while he's injured. Then they'd be stuck with his salary when the cap goes down to $64M, which is very bad.

I see the article stating that but if he did get injured to the extent that he couldn't be bought out couldn't they just put him on the LTIR and get potentially 6.5 million in cap relief. To me this sounds like the way to go for the Rangers. Make Redden play this season and just absolutely grind him to a pulp in the 48 + games. Work him to the point of injury then just put him on LTIR, then fudge his rehab lol. Now the goons have a new role for NHL teams.
Posted Image

#14 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Healthy scratch this season and will take a roster spot. Then he will be bought out. Or traded for nothing to a team with lots of cap space.
Posted Image

#15 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

He was good in Ottawa, I don't see how he couldn't regain some of that (to a point)

The rumour was he had addiction problems?

And I don't think his AHL stats carry much weight, I can't see him trying to that hard given the situation.

#16 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Meanwhile he's earning 6.5 million not doing anything

What a life

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#17 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Stu Bickel played 51 games on the Rangers backend last year, I'm sure if the Rangers had any intention at all to get Wade back into the NHL, it would have happened already.
Posted Image

#18 woot

woot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

I have completely forgotten about Redden. Hard to imagine a player with such a large cap-hit being hidden in the AHL for years.

Was he even worth the 6.5mil cap hit when they signed him, or was it just a feeding frenzy on July 1st?

He was sick for Ottawa, and a beast in the playoffs. The Sens let Chara walk to keep him. He was definatly cooling off when New York signed him. They expected him to rebound, I guess, but he just kept imploding. In fact, I think that was the same season they signed Naslund, and they'd inked Drury and Gomez to horribad contracts the summer before too, if I'm not mistaken.

#19 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Good news for Redden. He could likely play in the NHL at some capacity, but he's just not worth what he's being paid.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,951 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

I see the article stating that but if he did get injured to the extent that he couldn't be bought out couldn't they just put him on the LTIR and get potentially 6.5 million in cap relief. To me this sounds like the way to go for the Rangers. Make Redden play this season and just absolutely grind him to a pulp in the 48 + games. Work him to the point of injury then just put him on LTIR, then fudge his rehab lol. Now the goons have a new role for NHL teams.

Maybe, but what if he's healthy come September?

For instance, what if he has one of those injuries we keep hearing about in Vancouver, like a torn labrum. It would require a few months off if surgery is required. If that happens near the end of the season and he's not healthy again until August, the Rangers can't buy him out as the window is only for a short time around the end of June (just prior to free agency).

Healthy scratch this season and will take a roster spot. Then he will be bought out. Or traded for nothing to a team with lots of cap space.

Do you mean a roster spot in the NHL? I doubt it, if only for the reason that only the amount above $900K outside the NHL count to the NHL team's cap. That's nearly a million off the Rangers salary cap if the put him as a scratch on an AHL roster versus doing the same in the NHL.

Edited by elvis15, 10 January 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#21 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

hope they buy him out and he get a chance to play again in the NHL for a different team Could be a great fit for Edmonton.
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

#22 Black Mountain

Black Mountain

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

And we thought Ballard had a bad contract

Sather was by some miracle able to dump Gomez maybe he could do it again.

Maybe Edmonton?
Posted Image

#23 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,875 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Rangers have the best young D-corps in the league. They all came up through the AHL, being groomed with Redden. So, in a way, his salary hasn't been a total waste for them.

If I had a young team with little hope of making a playoff run, and I needed a veteran to help the young guys grow, I'd consider Redden. Especially if the Rangers are offering to sweeten the pot by giving a decent pick/prospect to get rid of him.

Perhaps the Islanders? Then again, they're probably not in a rush to do favors for their cross-town rivals.

Maybe the Jets? I think of all teams they could really use a veteran voice in the room. And their D-corps is quite young. If you were GM of the Jets, and the Rangers were willing to trade Redden and a 1st rounder for Ron Hainsey (3 mil left on his deal), would you consider it?
Posted Image

#24 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Rangers have the best young D-corps in the league. They all came up through the AHL, being groomed with Redden. So, in a way, his salary hasn't been a total waste for them.

If I had a young team with little hope of making a playoff run, and I needed a veteran to help the young guys grow, I'd consider Redden. Especially if the Rangers are offering to sweeten the pot by giving a decent pick/prospect to get rid of him.

Perhaps the Islanders? Then again, they're probably not in a rush to do favors for their cross-town rivals.

Maybe the Jets? I think of all teams they could really use a veteran voice in the room. And their D-corps is quite young. If you were GM of the Jets, and the Rangers were willing to trade Redden and a 1st rounder for Ron Hainsey (3 mil left on his deal), would you consider it?

I'm not the Jets GM (or am I?), but I would actually be interested in this. Winnipeg has no problems with cap issues this year or next. While I like the way the defense looks in Winnipeg, they are all very young, except for Stuart and Hainsey. Hainsey is absolutely useless. And while Redden is a question mark, I can stand his upgrade in salary over the next 2 seasons than Hainsey this year, as I'm positive Hainsey won't provide much on the backend. Plus, the 1st rounder would be a nice addition.

Edited by Monty, 11 January 2013 - 01:30 PM.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#25 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,525 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Door #4: Wade Redden could just walk away from his guaranteed contract of $13 million and get on with life and his hockey career.

Posted Image

#26 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,875 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Door #4: Wade Redden could just walk away from his guaranteed contract of $13 million and get on with life and his hockey career.

I love it when hypocrites who have never walked away from a thousand bucks in their life put the onus on an athlete to simply walk away from $8 million (his actual salary remaining, included the prorating of this season).
Posted Image

#27 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

I'll give them a 7th round pick for Redden... and 4 1st rounders.
Posted Image

#28 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Or they can hire one of the Gambinos and put a bullet into his arm or something... that would put him out for the season.
Posted Image

#29 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,525 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

I love it when hypocrites who have never walked away from a thousand bucks in their life put the onus on an athlete to simply walk away from $8 million (his actual salary remaining, included the prorating of this season).

I'm not putting the onus on Wade Redden to walk away. All I'm saying that is the fourth option that Bob McKenzie did not mention.

It's an option that Redden has considered.
http://www.nydailyne...3#ixzz1EWoyup9A

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.