Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Canucks Scouting

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

Poll: Canucks Scouting (50 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you think the Canucks compare to other top teams in the last 5 years?

1. strong picks (5 out of 5) (3 votes [6.12%])

Percentage of vote: 6.12%

2. good picks (4 out of 5 ) (7 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. average picks ( 3 out of 5 ) (18 votes [36.73%])

Percentage of vote: 36.73%

4. below average (2 out of 5 ) (17 votes [34.69%])

Percentage of vote: 34.69%

5. bad picks ( 1 out of 5 ) (4 votes [8.16%])

Percentage of vote: 8.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

I really think if Gillis had found a way not to include Grabner in the Ballard deal and fans had more patience, Grabner would have grown into the pure sniper and the 2nd line RW to compliment Kesler that this team has been looking for.

Oh well, hopefully Jensen becomes that player. Looking forward to him trying out for the team next year!

#32 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,637 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

I'd say San Jose and Philadelphia are good comparisons. San Jose is one of the very few teams who are probably WORSE off than the Canucks in terms of prospects at the moment but even they've had several players drafted in the 2nd round or later see NHL action since 2006. The Canucks' grand total of two (Sergei Shirokov and Yann Sauve) is absolutely alarming!

They did have a high pick in 07 and got Couture, other than that I agree, I think aside from him it would be pretty even, we also had Cody Hodgson play for us BTW.

Philly also got a high pick and got Couturier.

Maybe aside from those 2 we are similar, although I think we have been generally a deeper team than those two honestly. Ever since Gillis took over we have been a pretty deep team, our depth may not have been as highly skilled as it is now but we always have had a # of NHL calibre players ready to go on both forward and defense when needed.

zackass.png

#33 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

They did have a high pick in 07 and got Couture, other than that I agree, I think aside from him it would be pretty even, we also had Cody Hodgson play for us BTW.

Philly also got a high pick and got Couturier.

Maybe aside from those 2 we are similar, although I think we have been generally a deeper team than those two honestly. Ever since Gillis took over we have been a pretty deep team, our depth may not have been as highly skilled as it is now but we always have had a # of NHL calibre players ready to go on both forward and defense when needed.

I was referring to players drafted in the 2nd round or later.

#34 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Vancouver has the best scouts in the entire universe. You should be banned if you think otherwise.

#35 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,637 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

I was referring to players drafted in the 2nd round or later.

Oh okay I see, then ya you make good points.

zackass.png

#36 Kubrick

Kubrick

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

Alexandre Mallet.

Our second pick last year, I have the feeling this kid is gonna be a gem!
Posted Image

#37 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Drafting players is an educated guess, with the amount of resources available today drafting is about 75/25 luck to knowledge.

the more knowledge you have the better luck you have.

That last line is pretty deep eh

Edited by Noheart, 10 January 2013 - 10:41 PM.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#38 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

If you want better draft picks then you need to lose more games. Since Hodgson, we have been in the lower end of each round. Our first pick is similar to Edmonton's 2nd and so on. It's too early to say whether our picks from the past 3 years will pan out.

They were all projected as 2nd line/3rd pairing or less. That's what you get when your top picks are #22, 26 and 29 overall. If they play to their potential, they were good picks. If they do better, then they are great picks.

Edited by higgyfan, 11 January 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#39 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Vancouver has the best scouts in the entire universe. You should be banned if you think otherwise.

Love your profile name...I was a big Dave Babych fan when he was a Winnipeg Jet...he had one of the heaviest shots in the NHL before he ran into chronic wrist injuries...I was at a game in the old Winnipeg Arena when he broke the partition glass 30 rows up guarding the section fans in wheelchair were sitting.

But you're loco if you think that Delorme and his staff are the best scouts in the NHL universe.

Posted Image

#40 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,630 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

still a lot of recent draft picks up in the air in terms of what impact they will make in the nhl

schroeder
lack
corrado
connaughton
sauve
rodin
gaunce
jensen
mallet

give it 2-3 years to see what these players actually do before you actually judge the gillis prospects

#41 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

still a lot of recent draft picks up in the air in terms of what impact they will make in the nhl

schroeder
lack
corrado
connaughton
sauve
rodin
gaunce
jensen
mallet

give it 2-3 years to see what these players actually do before you actually judge the gillis prospects

Yeah, and I think it's about time to see what that entire 2009 draft has to offer, especially the top 3 picks.. All of them are in the AHL now except for Jeremy Price, who is currently in his last year of college hockey, and Steven Anthony, who is in the ECHL and is likely a bust.

Jordan Schroeder
Anton Rodin
Kevin Connauton
Peter Andersson
Joe Cannata

^ I'd like to see what all of those guys can do in the NHL, although Andersson and Cannata to a lesser extent as this is both their first seasons in the AHL after coming from Sweden and the NCAA respectively. Schroeder, Rodin and Connauton though: those guys are overdue for at least a cup of coffee in the bigs.

#42 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,082 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

1/5 from me.

Which means.....there's nowhere to go from here but up!

#43 FlyLow_

FlyLow_

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

It's too early to say for MG, but certainly we have to be disappointed with the overwhelming nothing we have ready to contribute now.. Maybe Schroeder will contribute but there should be more of a push coming from the youth. The 1st round is easy, after that our drafting hasn't been very effective for years.

#44 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,171 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Below average in comparison to the rest of the leauge. Hockeys future has ranked all 30 teams quite accurate. We are well below average.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.