Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Edmonton Oilers, the baddest team in the league

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#31 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

The Quebec Nordiques of 1989 (Sundin) 1990 (Nolan) 1991 (Lindros) say hi.

Perhaps you could help me out a little and let me know how I put you on ignore? Thank you in advance.

go to your profile, Manage Ignore Prefs, type in his name, select all options finalize, tah dah ignored

#32 Johnny Shotgun

Johnny Shotgun

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Doesn't matter how good/badass they are NO Canadian based team will ever hoist the Stanley Cup under Bettman's reign of bungling. NBC has him and the National Hokey League in their pockets and they are not interested in allowing a Canadian team play in the finals even storied franchaises rich in history and hockey lore such is their lack of hockey interest. its all about thumping the chest of the USA and rating/advertising revenue.
No one escapes my blast!

#33 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Doesn't matter how good/badass they are NO Canadian based team will ever hoist the Stanley Cup under Bettman's reign of bungling. NBC has him and the National Hokey League in their pockets and they are not interested in allowing a Canadian team play in the finals even storied franchaises rich in history and hockey lore such is their lack of hockey interest. its all about thumping the chest of the USA and rating/advertising revenue.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#34 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,948 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

If the NHL and NBC somehow had the ability to keep Canadian teams out of the finals, then how has a Canadian team made the finals 4 out of the last 7 seasons?

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#35 Johnny Shotgun

Johnny Shotgun

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

If the NHL and NBC somehow had the ability to keep Canadian teams out of the finals, then how has a Canadian team made the finals 4 out of the last 7 seasons?

That true and obviously i didn't think it through, however the fact remains Canadian teams in the finals skate uphill. No Cups since he took control.
No one escapes my blast!

#36 DSVII

DSVII

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

By Baddest, I thought you meant bada$$ haha. If Edmonton doesn't do anything to wreck their current prospect pool, they can easily be contenders in five years.

"The Canucks, are like North America, many of us have it so much better than others around the world or NHL, and we don't properly appreciate what we have."

"If Canucks fans hate Mason Raymond so bad, then you should have said something before the trade deadline! Because the Leafs would have totally taken him. I mean, can he score? Can he play a HINT of defense? WE'LL TAKE HIM! WE'LL TAKE TWO!"

- Steve Dangle (Leafs Fan Reaction - youtube)

#37 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

That true and obviously i didn't think it through, however the fact remains Canadian teams in the finals skate uphill. No Cups since he took control.

Gary Bettman became commissioner of the NHL on February 1st 1993, the Montreal Canadiens won the Stanley Cup on June 9th 1993.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 10 January 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#38 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Gary Bettman became commissioner of the NHL on February 1st 1993, the Montreal Canadiens won the Stanley Cup on June 9th 1993.

He didn't have a chance to get his hands dirty yet. He had just taken over. Can't make it look that obvious :bigblush:

#39 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

He didn't have a chance to get his hands dirty yet. He had just taken over. Can't make it look that obvious :bigblush:

Ugh! How could I not have thought of that!?

#40 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

All the Oilers need is to simply make two trades and they'll suddenly become Stanley Cup contenders. If they dealt excess forwards for better blueliners and maybe brought back Roloson to mentor Dubnyk, and help for the playoffs, they'll go back to the 1980s. And I want to see them win a Cup before Smyth retires.

#41 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,043 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

They're bound to improve eventually. Every team does. Montreal "sucked" in the early 40s, then became a powerhouse. Detroit sucked in the 70s and 80s, then became one of the best in the league. The New Jersey franchise sucked for like 15 years before getting anywhere. Pittsburgh sucked for a while, then got Lemiuex. We sucked in the late 90s and look where we are now. The list goes on and on. They'll improve. I don't think they're Cup material yet, but with better defense and a good goalie, they could be quite soon.

Edited by ajhockey, 11 January 2013 - 03:15 AM.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#42 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

I stopped reading at "baddest".

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#43 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

They're bound to improve eventually. Every team does. Montreal "sucked" in the early 40s, then became a powerhouse. Detroit sucked in the 70s and 80s, then became one of the best in the league. The New Jersey franchise sucked for like 15 years before getting anywhere. Pittsburgh sucked for a while, then got Lemiuex. We sucked in the late 90s and look where we are now. The list goes on and on. They'll improve. I don't think they're Cup material yet, but with better defense and a good goalie, they could be quite soon.

That's hockey, the longer you suck the better you'll be in the future and the Oilers are looking pretty scary in the future to me...

#44 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,815 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

I'd rather suck for 10 years and be good for 15, than be mediocre for 10.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#45 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,228 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

They have 4 amazing players, 5 if you count Schultz.
But I don't see those guys all committing and being able to keep the puck out of their net.
It's going to be Philadelphia style for them, run and gun.

#46 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

As far as Oilers bashing goes, when it comes from Flames fans, it's nothing more than thinly veiled jealousy. The truth is, the Flames would kill to have that lineup and those prospects in their system.

As for the Canucks, I really believe the Oilers can be a threat to them this year. They will turn the corner one of these days, so watch out when they do.

They are already showing signs.....Remember Gagner's 8 point game? If things go as planned stuff like that might just happen more consistently.

bobssig.jpg

this is why i shaked my head at those Canuck fans that cheered on the fLames to make the playoffs... that fan base is stupid as f thats the fan base that still to this day are convinced Alberts faked going down for a call on hit on that McGrattan hit that sent him to retirement. 

I hated that fan base since 04 and will forever hate them. they have such a huge inferiority complex about our team and the city/province. I hope we dispose of these losers quickly. 

#47 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

Imagine how low "reputation" this guy would have if there still was a minus <3

#48 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

Imagine how low "reputation" this guy would have if there still was a minus <3

I had reached -400 something before they stopped it.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#49 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,008 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

As far as Oilers bashing goes, when it comes from Flames fans, it's nothing more than thinly veiled jealousy. The truth is, the Flames would kill to have that lineup and those prospects in their system.

As for the Canucks, I really believe the Oilers can be a threat to them this year. They will turn the corner one of these days, so watch out when they do.

They are already showing signs.....Remember Gagner's 8 point game? If things go as planned stuff like that might just happen more consistently.

Not only that, I think Canucks fans forgot about Minnesota. NorthWest is going to be a much tougher division this year.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#50 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

I had reached -400 something before they stopped it.

Clearly the sign of a future moderator, no? ;)

#51 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,230 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

The Quebec Nordiques of 1989 (Sundin) 1990 (Nolan) 1991 (Lindros) say hi.

Perhaps you could help me out a little and let me know how I put you on ignore? Thank you in advance.

Those players never ended up helping Quebec or Calorado.
'

1314_IProvo_1680x1050.jpg

#52 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Clearly the sign of a future moderator, no? ;)

Keep aggravating a Canuck fan.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#53 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

Those players never ended up helping Quebec or Calorado.
'

They traded Lindros for Forsberg, but yeah...

#54 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

How can any team suck soooooo bad? I can be GM of this team and I can't do any worse than Tambellini. 3 1st overall for the past 3 years, that must be a record of some sort.

The funny thing is some oddsmaker in Vegas ranked it 8th this year among 30 NHL to win the cup. LOooool. I want what they are smoking out there.

Cue the Oilers won several cups...............

When TV was still black and white.

With a shortened season, the Oilers might have a chance to play in the postseason.
Posted Image

#55 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,548 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

I like pie.

#56 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Imagine if they dealt Eberle or Hall (either one almost expendable now with Yakapov in) to Florida for Gudbranson, and then Hemsky and Gagner to Carolina for Ryan Murray + first rounder. Follow that by either signing Dwayne Roloson or trading a couple of first rounders for Tim Thomas? The Oilers won't just rebound, they'll go back to the 1980s.

#57 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

Imagine if they dealt Eberle or Hall (either one almost expendable now with Yakapov in) to Florida for Gudbranson, and then Hemsky and Gagner to Carolina for Ryan Murray + first rounder. Follow that by either signing Dwayne Roloson or trading a couple of first rounders for Tim Thomas? The Oilers won't just rebound, they'll go back to the 1980s.

The Oilers just named Eberle and Hall assistant captains. They're not getting dealt.

You must have meant Columbus.

Roloson is too old and Thomas doesn't want to play.

#58 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

I'm guessing Mr. Reputable is about 12 years old
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#59 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

What a sham this leage is... that the coilers can tank it for all these years and get away with it!

Whats worse, is that in the end, their elite top draft picks will bolt from that hell-hole of a city and move somewhere worth living.

I remember Souray cathing flack for refusing to be part of it and he became the bad guy.

If you disagree, consider that this sham of a roster lacked almost any D or reliable goaltending for years while they rolled out a bunch of cheap goons and pylons expecting any success. Sure, sure, call it a rebuild, but really, it was a complete write-off, a sham. Parity sucks.

In the end the coilers will have a super stud roster financed by the NHL and will see the departure of many of these high draft picks from either free agency or traded for cap reasons. What a waste of time.

Great job, Gary!
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#60 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

The Oilers are bad, yes, but they've stockpiled so much talent that they're bound to be good soon.

If you want to look at a really BAD team, look at Toronto.

BO KNOWS

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.