The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does everyone seem to think we need more depth at C?

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Kesler is better than Bergeron? This the same Bergeron who in the past few years has won an Olympic gold medal, a Stanley Cup, a Spengler Cup, the Selke Award; posted the best plus-minus in the NHL last season; and produces points far more consistently and in bigger games than Kesler ever has??? And, we're talking about the same Kesler who hasn't shown up for his team since the third round of the playoffs of 2010-2011, and has only made highlight reels since that time for his atrocious diving practices??? Get your head out of your ass. The Canucks' center lineup is nowhere near what the Bruins have.

Nucks depth at center is quantity, not quality. Unfortunately, in a short season, they cannot afford to wait around for (whenever) Kes returns. If they get behind the pack, there may not be time to catch up.

Likely, MG knows exactly when Kes will be available, so will go from there. If it looks short term, he will utilize what he has. If it is long term, I think he will go for a player that can play C and RW.

IMO, the announcement by Kes' agent regarding 'months away' was odd. I would think that the Nucks management would know exactly where Kes' rehab is at the moment. Something a tad fishy here. I am hoping he is not that far off.

We are not fine at all at Centre...Kesler is, or at least should be, RW and not Centre...he simply doesnt have the playmaking ability to succeed as a Centre. If you accept this premise (and to me its painfully obvious that he would be far more effective along the boards) then we could use a good "play making" Centre. I wouldn't rule out Higgins filling this bill (if Schroeder or Ebbett dont work out). Having said that, I would love to see Management get really creative and give Mason Raymond a shot at Centre - they tried it out once for a few games and he looked pretty good.

I think our centre depth will be perfect if Schroeder is able to come in and prove he belongs and can produce in the NHL. That way, we'll have our top 1-2 punch at centre of Sedin-Kesler, a young talented 3rd line centre who can anchor the 2nd line when necessary in Schroeder, and two gritty, defensive centres who are great on the PK on the 4th line in Malhotra and Lapierre.

Sedin

Kesler

Schroeder

Lapierre

Malhotra

^ That's very similar to Boston's centre core of Krejci, Bergeron, Seguin, Kelly and Campbell, except that Sedin is much better than Krejci.

It should be obvious why we need more depth at C. Kesler will be out for a while and in a shortened season it makes a big difference. Currently we have 1 top 6 C and 3 Bottom 6. We don't know how well Manny can play. Sure Schroeder could step in, but are you gonna pin your hopes on a guy who has never played an NHL game?

So which one of those centers besides Sedin do you think can be our bonified 2nd C while Kesler is gone then, if we're so strong up the middle? And "a couple months" in this condensed season could easily be the difference between making the playoffs and not.

Give up on Schroeder, he has been unable to establish himslef as an offensive force even in the AHL - and he is too damn puny to be an effective defensive or physical centre. When you draft a centre of his physical type, you are either getting a skilled centre who can be effective, or you are getting nothing. MG rolled the dice and got snake-eyes. With Kesler hurt, we have at centre, H. Sedin - who may no longer be A-list, and we have a few fourth liners - Malhotra, Lapierre, Ebbett - that is no comparison to Boston at centre.

I don't even like Kesler, by far my least favorite Canuck, but cmon, he owns Bergeron. Bigger, faster, better skater, better hitter, scores more and is better defensively. There's really nothing Berg has on Kes, except maybe health right now.

That will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER take place.

Archived