The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does everyone seem to think we need more depth at C?

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

I don't like all the media hype about trading Luongo for a package that includes a second-line centre. I think it's way too short-sighted to be squandering a Luongo trade on a position (second-line centre) that won't be needed when Kesler is back. Let's get the defense bolstered up with more talent. Every year, we always run short of healthy, talented defense. You can NEVER have enough capable defensemen!

Lots of reaction on here concerning Kes missing a few games to start the year. In that regard, the lockout was a benefit to the Canucks, and there really should be no panic to acquire a second line center. Having said that, does anyone know when we can expect him back playing? I thought it was supposed to be in January some time.

I don't like all the media hype about trading Luongo for a package that includes a second-line centre. I think it's way too short-sighted to be squandering a Luongo trade on a position (second-line centre) that won't be needed when Kesler is back. Let's get the defense bolstered up with more talent. Every year, we always run short of healthy, talented defense. You can NEVER have enough capable defensemen!

Let's see, we have Sedin, Lapierre, Malhotra, Ebbett, Schroeder, and eventually Kesler. Yet everywhere I read they're saying we need a center. What we need is some size on the bottom six wings and on D, that's all, we do NOT need to make a trade to replace a couple months' worth of Kesler being hurt, that's crazy. Our centers we already have are four solid NHLers and a first-round prospect, that's without Kesler. So get a grip people, we are fine at center.

@ThaBestPlaceOnEarth -- Think if we had a center capable of centering the 2nd line and scoring/playing defensively... (M. Richards/J. Staal type of player) Now think how we could move Kes up to the 1st line if we needed to and have Lappy or Manny take the bottom two lines, now think how all three lines would look with three great centers down the middle. (After Kes returned from the IRL our depth would be scary!)

EDIT: It creates balance and opens opportunities for our players, depth has always been a mandatory and key component of our team. Although, I would be satisfied with a Versteeg type of winger as well. Perhaps a player like Jason Arnott is the final piece we need... We haven't had a guy with Stanley Cup experience in a while, not since Samuelsson. Either way, I can't wait to see what MG does! ^_^

Though I disagree with Kesler > Bergeron, I disagree with you as well. They are equal. You're talking about the Kesler that hasn't been healthy since the second round of 2011 Nashville. It's the Kesler that singlehandedly carried a team in a whole series of playoffs. The one that posted a 41 goal season, something Bergeron can only hope of doing. The Kesler that won the Selke. You gotta appreciate the love the Canucks fan have for its own players. Disgusting.

I agree. You don't make such an important trade for the franchise like this for a short term gain.

We've been grooming Schroeder for 4 years for this moment. It's time to let him sink or swim.

If he struggles, wel then we'll have to make a trade. But option A should always be to promote from within. It's how most of our top players that we've drafted have gotten their chance.

extraordinary depth at center is one of very few formulas that work for winning championships.

look at la, boston, canadian olympic teams etc. as far as i'm concerned the more natural centers you have playing on the wing the better.

Yeah, we have no depth at center. Gaunce is a couple years away. We also lack not even depth but just a RW for the second line. We don't really have a third line center. I guess Lapierre can play there but he was origanally brought in to play on the fourth line.

We lack skill in our forwards. Too much "depth" type players that really don't have high skill. Starting to hate the moneyball approach.

Personally I would rather put my faith in Mr. Ebbet (great depth guy) or Lapierre for a month or so than put it into Shroeder. He has only produced 9 goals, 10 assists and is -3 in 30 games with the Wolves while playing top-line minutes. This was his year to shine and show us all that he is ready for the big leagues. Unfortunately, neither he nor Kassian have shown that they are anything more than AHL calibre players since the start of the season with the Wolves.

Not to sound like a butt-hurt broken record but our best prospect is now playing for the Rochester Americans and we have nothing to show for it in terms of a quality return or future depth considerations, especially down the middle. In the last year we went to being one of the deepest teams down the middle to struggling to round out our lineup.

Personally I think we should re-sign Bitz asap, stick him on as 4th line center, move Lappiere to fill in on the 2nd line and play him with Burrows. Obviously this isn't a permanent solution but I think Lappy is ready to be called upon to play a larger role.

Out of the players we have I think our best bet is to see:

Daniel-Henrik-Booth(?)

Raymond(?)-Lapierre-Burrows

Higgins-Malhotra-Hansen

Volpatti-Bitz-Weise

I will note that both Raymond and Booth (who are only effective in the top-6) need to step it up immediately or be shipped out ASAP. Higgins belongs on the 2nd line and that we need a more permanent solution on 3rd line LW. Higgins is too valuable a player to be stuck in a checking role, despite how effective he is, simply because Raymond and Booth have continued to struggle in the top-6 and aren't dependable enough to be put in checking roles.

Somehow my response was lost on the previous post but what I wanted to say is that I concur with the comments on Ebbett. He may be underestimated in how effective he can be as a fill in top 6 player in the regular season. In 2008-09 he performed this role in Anaheim and had 32 points in 48 games and was a plus 8. If this could be duplicated, it appears to be better than many or most of the trade and UFA options that have been proposed.

I question our team's doctors and trainers. Kesler last season was clearly not playing as well as the year before. Then we find out after the season's over he was playing hurt for 1/2 a year? Why are we letting our players shorten their careers this way? Shouldn't someone on the Canucks medical staff informed the coaches and management that he was hurt?

I understand long term Hodgson was going to be moved. But it would have been better in the offseason to trade him. Who knows we might have gotten more for him? But we'll never know now. My guess is Gillis was just sick of dealing with Hodgson's Dad and Agent. He'd probably would rather wrestle a gorilla than have another another few months of listening to them whining and complaining.

The reason we need another centre is after Kesler the talent level of our centre's drop dramatically. Schroeder has 19 points in 30 games in the AHL. You're heaping an awful lot of pressure on him being #2 if he's playing a 48 game season in the NHL, where if you stumble out of the gate, you may not be in the playoffs.

Nucks depth at center is quantity, not quality. Unfortunately, in a short season, they cannot afford to wait around for (whenever) Kes returns. If they get behind the pack, there may not be time to catch up.

Likely, MG knows exactly when Kes will be available, so will go from there. If it looks short term, he will utilize what he has. If it is long term, I think he will go for a player that can play C and RW.

IMO, the announcement by Kes' agent regarding 'months away' was odd. I would think that the Nucks management would know exactly where Kes' rehab is at the moment. Something a tad fishy here. I am hoping he is not that far off.

Archived