The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Second Amendment Education in Portland Oregon

Wetcoaster

So you are out and about in downtown Portland, Oregon and you look up and see two guys walking about with their latest firearm fashion accessories slung over their shoulders.

What do you figure happens?

1968882_G.jpg

Calls started coming in to 911 dispatchers shortly before 2 p.m. Wednesday. Callers said two men with guns strapped to their backs were walking through the area of Southeast Seventh Avenue and Spokane Street in Portland's Sellwood neighborhood.

Officers arrived in the area and contacted both 22-year-old men. They were carrying rifles openly on their backs and were valid concealed handgun license holders in Oregon.

The two men seemed puzzled by the police response:

1968884_G.jpg

And what were they doing. Well just exercising their Second Amendment rights - "Exercising my rights with a rifle to try to decrease the demonizing of peacefully exercising your rights in public" says 22 year old Warren Drouin.

And Warren said he hoped people would approach them and talk to them, instead of calling police.

"What they really should do is observe the person to determine if the person is aggressive," he said of seeing someone with a gun in public. "We're not doing anything threatening to anyone."

Yup definitely my first reaction seeing a couple of rednecks well-strapped with semi-automatic assault weapons and handguns - go up to them and debate the Second Amendment. :sadno:

BTW carrying firearms openly is legal in Oregon and carrying a concealed gun is legal with a valid license.

Officers explained that they were likely to continue generating 911 calls from alarmed people in the area, which would require a police response. Officers reported neither man seemed interested in those concerns.

http://www.kptv.com/...land-to-educate

And after a "Hi y'all" to the local constabulary they continued their walking educational tour...

1968887_G.jpg

I though this thread was actually going to be about "Second Amendment Education". Instead, it's about 2 more freaking American, redneck bastards walking around the streets of a big city with "legal" weapons. Brazen, freaking bastards... Protected by the 2nd Amendment of 1492 when Napoleon sailed the seas all messed up on glue.

All human beings are born innocent. We have no opinions, affiliations or biases when we leave the womb. Purple, screaming, sh!tting bundles of matter is what we all are.

Once we make contact with our "families" and our "communities", we are taught how to hate. We are taught which values are meaningful. We are taught that carrying semi-automatic rifles and concealed weapons is OK, based on our Constitutional Rights.

Wake the Fu*k up, America! Your society is a global laughing stock. Write a Federal law that abolishes the type of weapons these Clems are carrying on their backs openly in public. I'd love to see firearms banned, but, we all know that's never going to happen. Instead, regulate the arms that are available and penalize those who circumvent any new law agreed upon.

Enough, already.

Edit: Oh, yeah... My wife is "mentally ill". Thank God that she lives in Canada where we have access to resources to help her deal with her illness. Maybe the US should spend less dollars on their military and look at how they can help the mentally ill in their country seeing as how all of these heinous gun crimes have been committed by citizens who are "mentally ill". Excuses...

I was at my brother's in Ithaca, NY one November helping him set up his auction house and was staying with him at an old farmhouse just outside the city limits. I woke up one morning to the sound rifle shots bouncing off the window panes.......and after my first OMG, remembered it was hunting season so no big deal. I was cautioned about going for a walk off road as there was active hunting taking place in the bush to either side. Okaaaaay........I grew up in Canada, hunted with my Dad.....but this was a little strange.....people shooting along the shoulders of busy roads.......but hey, this was the US....... suck it up, Canadian princess.

What completely threw me, though, was watching 3 guys completely decked out in camouflage gear, military style boots and camo-painted faces) strolling down the middle of the road with fully automatic firearms in shooting position, fingers on triggers. scanning back and forth across the road with said firearms. This was not a road 5, 10, 15+ miles out in the boonies........this was within a 5 minute walk of downtown Ithaca. Needless to say, that was the end of my walks down lovely leaf decorated roads in Ithaca in November.

The approach to firearms in the US scares the hell out of me........it's casual......in a lot of cases, irresponsible,,,,,with a lack of respect for the damage these firearms can do........and the mindset of some is downright terrifying. Hell, driving down the driveway of where I was staying was interesting in that hunters out on the road liked to wave hello with said firearms in hand........

I grew up with firearms in our house.......we were taught to respect what they can do, to treat them with the due diligence and respect they deserve, we were taught that there were instances in which they were to be used and times when they were not. I realized during that trip that there is a completely different mindset between the US and Canada when it comes to the possession of firearms......and I can't say that there is much to recommend the American mindset over ours. In fact, we in Canada have much more proof and facts on our side that automatic weapons have no place in the hands of non-military/police individuals. Unfortunately, that proof means absolutely nothing to those determined to keep fully automatic firearms in the hands of Joe Q Public citing some long out of date document that bears no reality to life today.

I was at my brother's in Ithaca, NY one November helping him set up his auction house and was staying with him at an old farmhouse just outside the city limits. I woke up one morning to the sound rifle shots bouncing off the window panes.......and after my first OMG, remembered it was hunting season so no big deal. I was cautioned about going for a walk off road as there was active hunting taking place in the bush to either side. Okaaaaay........I grew up in Canada, hunted with my Dad.....but this was a little strange.....people shooting along the shoulders of busy roads.......but hey, this was the US....... suck it up, Canadian princess.

What completely threw me, though, was watching 3 guys completely decked out in camouflage gear, military style boots and camo-painted faces) strolling down the middle of the road with fully automatic firearms in shooting position, fingers on triggers. scanning back and forth across the road with said firearms. This was not a road 5, 10, 15+ miles out in the boonies........this was within a 5 minute walk of downtown Ithaca. Needless to say, that was the end of my walks down lovely leaf decorated roads in Ithaca in November.

The approach to firearms in the US scares the hell out of me........it's casual......in a lot of cases, irresponsible,,,,,with a lack of respect for the damage these firearms can do........and the mindset of some is downright terrifying. Hell, driving down the driveway of where I was staying was interesting in that hunters out on the road liked to wave hello with said firearms in hand........

I grew up with firearms in our house.......we were taught to respect what they can do, to treat them with the due diligence and respect they deserve, we were taught that there were instances in which they were to be used and times when they were not. I realized during that trip that there is a completely different mindset between the US and Canada when it comes to the possession of firearms......and I can't say that there is much to recommend the American mindset over ours. In fact, we in Canada have much more proof and facts on our side that automatic weapons have no place in the hands of non-military/police individuals. Unfortunately, that proof means absolutely nothing to those determined to keep fully automatic firearms in the hands of Joe Q Public citing some long out of date document that bears no reality to life today.

I don't want to throw out the "BS" flag on this, but there are a few things that make me question your story.

1) what year did this take place that you saw the "hunters?"

2) how did you know they were "fully-automatic" weapons without looking at them closely? (sounds to me like you weren't walking with them or chatting with them.. just passing them.)

3) by "camo" are you talking about military type camo or hunting camo (hunting camo involves the bright orange color mixed in.)?

this is funny. one could easily say leftwing nutcases kill more babies in a year than any person with a AR-15. and you're assuming that everybody with a gun is right wing and goes around shooting people. Plenty of Liberals have guns. So in your view if you own a gun you are right wing nutcase and kill abortion providers?

it's confusing keeping up with how to label people correctly these days.

I don't see anything wrong with this if these guys are exercising their rights, and moreover, they were calmly talking to people. If anti-gun nut doesn't like carry and conceal, I'd suggest one of the many places in California that have restrictions upon it like where I used to live in the states, like San Francisco.

I don't want to throw out the "BS" flag on this, but there are a few things that make me question your story.

1) what year did this take place that you saw the "hunters?"

2) how did you know they were "fully-automatic" weapons without looking at them closely? (sounds to me like you weren't walking with them or chatting with them.. just passing them.)

3) by "camo" are you talking about military type camo or hunting camo (hunting camo involves the bright orange color mixed in.)?

Show me an incident where ANY "lefty" killed an abortion provider .. if you actually followed these threads you would know 1) I am a progressive, pragmatic Liberal .. 2) I have owned and shot all sorts of weapons since 1959 .. 3) I have yet to get caught killing anyone .. 4) at what point does a fetus become a baby? .. when sperm hits egg? .. I guess it is all in the timing ..

Don't throw out that BS flag all you like but it doesn't change the facts.......

It was 2005

As has been made clear in previous posts, I am familiar with firearms, I recognized what I saw for exactly what it was, thanks anyway. They were walking toward me and I passed them ....slowly. They said "Good morning", one was middle-aged, one was in their 20s..... commented on it being hunting season......No, haven't seen any deer this morning........didn't ask for their names........anything else you'd like to know? Their addresses? Make of vehicle? Boot size?

I know what hunting camo looks like and what they were wearing was not that.

Now, would you like the # of my hunting license, photocopies of my firearm registrations, pictures of the firearms in my possession, the log of the number of gun shows I've been to, the names and photocopies of the certificates for the courses I've taken as well?

I don't see anything wrong with this if these guys are exercising their rights, and moreover, they were calmly talking to people. If anti-gun nut doesn't like carry and conceal, I'd suggest one of the many places in California that have restrictions upon it like where I used to live in the states, like San Francisco.

+1

Gotta love made up stories. :lol:

Archived