The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Second Amendment Education in Portland Oregon

Wetcoaster

As noted:

As one police spokesman noted - "Being legal does not mean it is a wise thing to do. Responsible firearms owners would not and don't do this."

OpenCarry.org, which promotes the ability to "openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life," does not allow discussion of publicly carrying long guns in the group's online forum.

The forum's Rule No. 14 states, in part: "This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns."

^ Really? Playing dumb?

Police guy -- just because it's legal doesn't mean it's wise.

Assertion from poster you are quoting -- if it's legal, just because a person may not consider it wise (or in your quoted poster's analogy, something visually undesirable by some) doesn't inherently mean one shouldn't do it.

I was at my brother's in Ithaca, NY one November helping him set up his auction house and was staying with him at an old farmhouse just outside the city limits. I woke up one morning to the sound rifle shots bouncing off the window panes.......and after my first OMG, remembered it was hunting season so no big deal. I was cautioned about going for a walk off road as there was active hunting taking place in the bush to either side. Okaaaaay........I grew up in Canada, hunted with my Dad.....but this was a little strange.....people shooting along the shoulders of busy roads.......but hey, this was the US....... suck it up, Canadian princess.

What completely threw me, though, was watching 3 guys completely decked out in camouflage gear, military style boots and camo-painted faces) strolling down the middle of the road with fully automatic firearms in shooting position, fingers on triggers. scanning back and forth across the road with said firearms. This was not a road 5, 10, 15+ miles out in the boonies........this was within a 5 minute walk of downtown Ithaca. Needless to say, that was the end of my walks down lovely leaf decorated roads in Ithaca in November.

The approach to firearms in the US scares the hell out of me........it's casual......in a lot of cases, irresponsible,,,,,with a lack of respect for the damage these firearms can do........and the mindset of some is downright terrifying. Hell, driving down the driveway of where I was staying was interesting in that hunters out on the road liked to wave hello with said firearms in hand........

I grew up with firearms in our house.......we were taught to respect what they can do, to treat them with the due diligence and respect they deserve, we were taught that there were instances in which they were to be used and times when they were not. I realized during that trip that there is a completely different mindset between the US and Canada when it comes to the possession of firearms......and I can't say that there is much to recommend the American mindset over ours. In fact, we in Canada have much more proof and facts on our side that automatic weapons have no place in the hands of non-military/police individuals. Unfortunately, that proof means absolutely nothing to those determined to keep fully automatic firearms in the hands of Joe Q Public citing some long out of date document that bears no reality to life today.

Archived