Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Is the year for mason Raymond to be a 25 goal scorer?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#61 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

yes he did. looked like he was skating well...
linden Vey Sig

#62 I Got A Boy

I Got A Boy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

The only improvement we'll see from Raymond is if he doesn't fall more than 10x a game.

but then... mayraydown site wont be so active... :D

#63 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

I think he should just be put on the 4th line and stay there. He can do all the skating and puckhogging he wants there. Having that much speed on the 4th line could cause some problems for the other team too.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#64 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

To my recollection, the first problem with Raymond was the thumb injury he received back in December 2010(?). His shot hasn't quite been the same since that time. If he has somehow been able to correct this problem then he might well break the 20 goal mark.

Otherwise, I suspect he will either be traded at the deadline (if not sooner) or be allowed to walk as a UFA.

regards,
G.

I don't think this injury was ever reported, but I remember seeing Raymond favoring his hand in the year following his break out season. I was certain that he was injured and did his best to play with it. Similarly, I think Henrik played with a broken bone in his foot since the Nashville game in the second half of last season, and Luongo played with a hand injury in his catching hand that he incurred in the LA series in 2010 (first round that we swept). For the record, I have no evidence of any of these injuries as there was never anything reported (other than an image of Henrik in a walking cast last year that I cannot seem to find anywhere...so it could just be my imagination).

In my illustrious (only in my mind) amateur hockey career (...yes, all the way to midget AA...what an amazing accomplishment, hey? I hope the self-deprecating sarcasm is obvious), I have played with a cracked rib, a torn ligament in my index finger on the top hand on the stick, and back spasms (spasms were as a fat, out of shape old timer), which limited anything that I could do on the ice (which was further compounded by rapidly deteriorating skills). All this is to say is that I don't think Raymond has been healthy since his break out season, and these nagging little injuries have affected his performance and productivity over the past two seasons.

So, assuming that Mase is 100% healthy, I am really interested in seeing what he will produce in this shortened season. It seems the management and coaching staff have confidence that he'll be back on track. With this being his make or break season with the Canucks, I have a feeling he's going to surprise the Canucks faithful. Over a 48 game schedule, if his stat line is 15G/15A, I'd be ecstatic.

#65 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

I'm fairly certain it was a sprained wrist followed by a shoulder injury. Yet even with those shot affecting injuries his even strength points remained quite similar to the 09/10 season. The real drop in production came on the PP which should have been expected with Kesler being moved to the 1st PP Malhotra (a 30 point center) filled in on the 2nd PP. Also with the success the first unit enjoyed the Raymonds PP time dropped by 1/3 from the previous year. Combined everybody should have expected a drop in production that year. Samuelssons production also dropped. Although he made up some ground being moved to the first unit to play point after Edler hurt his back. I've maintained all along Raymonds 10/11 season was no where near as bad as most made out.

I'm willing to give him a mulligan on his 11/12 season due to the nature of the injury he came back from.

Stuff I've read, and from my own recollection, says thumb, but w/e. :)

I did a quick look-see at Raymond's stats and he was near or about 9g 12a and at +4 in the first 27 games, which had him on pace for at least as good a season as the one previous (25g 28a 53 pts). He was then injured in early December, missed 10 games, and finished the season at 15g 24a and was +8.

So was it just his power play time that was the factor, or was it in combination with a reduced ability to shoot, as a result of the injury, which led to him getting less power play time?

You forgot the broken back he was recovering from last year, lots of hate for this kid.

The broken back was what was affecting him last year, chum. I was talking about the few months prior to the playoffs where the drop-off in production started. :)

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#66 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

So, assuming that Mase is 100% healthy, I am really interested in seeing what he will produce in this shortened season. It seems the management and coaching staff have confidence that he'll be back on track. With this being his make or break season with the Canucks, I have a feeling he's going to surprise the Canucks faithful. Over a 48 game schedule, if his stat line is 15G/15A, I'd be ecstatic.

This will be the question. If he is healthy (back and wrist or thumb which affected his shooting), and he does get the ice time, then he could produce.

regards,
G.

#67 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Not in this league. Maybe had he stayed in Europe...

#68 sharnhayre

sharnhayre

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,690 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

25 goals in a shortened 48 game season? He will also most likely be playing 3rd line minutes. I don't see it happening this year.

#69 2nastie

2nastie

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Mason Raymond can you get off the boards ...

#70 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78,582 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Vigneault on Raymond, Booth as his second-line wingers: "They've proven in the past they can score and they'll get an opportunity. If they don't do it quickly enough we'll have some decisions to make. You guys know how quick I am on the trigger."

307mg00.jpg

#71 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,580 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

14 giveaways versus 35 takeaways in 10/11 tells me he's doing something right. Compare that to Samuelssons 36 giveaways versus 25 takeaways.

15 less games, and his +/- went down double from last year, as did his point totals.

I wouldn't exactly say he has been doing something right but I am hopeful he will turn it around now that AV has given him yet another chance on the 2nd line it seems.

zackass.png

#72 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,580 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Vigneault on Raymond, Booth as his second-line wingers: "They've proven in the past they can score and they'll get an opportunity. If they don't do it quickly enough we'll have some decisions to make. You guys know how quick I am on the trigger."

Ya he pulled Kassian off the 2nd line in favor of Raymond pretty quickly even though Kassian had 2 points.

zackass.png

#73 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,227 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA The guy can't get anywhere near that kind of production with a full 82 game season. If anyone thinks he can get there in half as many games as usual, he/she is out of his/her mind. Raymond is a joke and should've been traded or put on waivers long ago to free up as much money as possible to sign any number of better free agents.

Easy to chirp from the sidelines eh? This guy is an NHL-calibre winger who if utilized properly and healthy will put up points. 25 is out of the question given it's a lockout shortened season but I think he'll produce this year.
Posted Image

#74 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

if raymond scores 25 goals in 48 games id be ecstatic.

#75 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Watch Raymond surprise us all and put up 25
Posted Image

#76 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

25 goals in a shortened 48 game season? He will also most likely be playing 3rd line minutes. I don't see it happening this year.

I wouldn't expect 25 goals, but if he put up numbers which projected him to have regained his scoring touch of a couple of years ago then that would be great.

This being said, I still don't see him sticking around. There no longer is a place for him on this team. Sedin, Booth and Higgins down one side, Burrows, Kassian and Hansen down the other, and then there's what-ever is coming back in the assumed Luongo deal.

I want him to do well so he can get his career back on track (where-ever that is), but also for the mercenary reason that the better he does, the greater chance that the Canucks can get something for him in a trade deadline deal.

regards,
G.

#77 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Really? a 3rd line checker? I think he will need to work more on his checking to fill that role Lol.

I think it is either an offensive 2nd/3rd liner or else and offensive depth player, he isn't in the NHL for his checking he is here cause of his offensive ability, and he needs to show he has that offensive ability once again.

Even though his checking was better than Keslers several times last season.

#78 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,580 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Even though his checking was better than Keslers several times last season.

Not really, Raymond is soft as a pillow.

zackass.png

#79 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Not really, Raymond is soft as a pillow.

Which in turn dosen't say much for the oft no-show Kesler unless we are running two different sets of rules.

#80 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

It's not just Raymond who needs to show up. This is just as big season for Booth. He's sucking a lot of water out of the pool and he better show he's worth it.

I want to see him passing, passing early, THEN going to the net. I also want to see him work a hell of a lot harder in his own zone.......something that Raymond does night after night to good effect.
Kevin.jpg

#81 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Please MG no more small guys unless its a TooToo or Fleury type,
we dont need MAson Raymonds and Jordan Schroeders, this league demands monsters not midgets.
Sorry small guys to be harsh but playoff brutality isn't for a MayRay who would be a better fit in the Swedish Elite League.

If Mason Raymond scores 25 goals in 48 games this year most will be in the pre game warmup.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#82 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,028 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

He's proven he can be an effective 2nd line winger.

But that happened, when he was healthy, playing a long side, a Healthy Kesler and Mikael Samuelson. None of them will be on the team this year. We don't know when Kelser will be back. Very unlikely he will even score on a 25 goal pace on a 48 game schedule. Unless you put him with the Sedins, other then that, very unlikely,he will score on a 25 goal pace on a shorten season.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.