The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumor: Edler for Benn? Boucher for backup?

Lui's Knob

Some crazy rumors going around in Dallas and here locally before camps start. From the Hfboards and twitter handle Krufrank stating that a) luongo to Philly for gross man may have weight as Edler will be dealt to Dallas for Benn. Apparently Benn doesn't want to re-sign in Dallas. Gillis does covet the big bodies. Does he play center I wonder..

Also states that carolina and vancouver will deal a d man for Boucher (backup). Canucks do have history with the canes but not to keen on this deal.

Fwiw.

In July, Boucher was supposed to miss 4-6 months with shoulder surgery link So I wonder if he's even ready to play?

I read the Benn thing elsewhere as well. 'Rumors' that he didn't want to resign w/ Dallas. Of course, there seems to be those types of rumors everytime an RFA goes unsigned. I can't imagine Dallas would ever trade their franchise player for a rental in Edler? Seems to odd for me.

I can't see it happening. I would definitely trade Edler for Benn though. I really don't understand why the Canucks would ask for Grossman as the centerpiece in an exchange for Luongo. Grossman does not begin to replace the offense lost trading Edler so unless the plan was to slide Ballard into a top 4 offensive role (and I think we all know how AV feels about that possibility) and have Grossman anchor the 3rd pairing, I just don't see the point there.

Man, I love Edler. He's pbbly my favorite player on the team. But, I would trade him for Benn. I am very hesitant but this team needs a player like Benn up front. The kid is a premier power forward in the league. All of sudden Canucks would look a lot different with Benn and Kassian on the team.

It would be a great hockey trade for both teams. Only thing that makes me not believe this rumor is that Edler is a UFA at end of year. Unless he agrees to sign an extension with Dallas I don't see the Stars making this deal.

As far as Luongo for Grossman goes, he is a real solid defensive Dman. He is the Stars go to PK Dman, plays over 18 mins per game and has huge size which he utilizes. This is exactly the type of Dman the Canucks have been missing. IF there is a deal with Philly I would assume prospects would also trade places, 1 going each way with the Canucks getting the better one.

Hammer Bieksa

Grossman Garrison

Ballard Tanev

Alberts Connaughton

Dfense looks a lot tougher to play against. Edler is a 50 point Dman so you lose some offense but Garrison can make up for some of that loss. Especially with PP time with the Sedins you never know what he will do.

Archived