Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Rumor: Edler for Benn? Boucher for backup?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#31 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:19 AM

If we're doing a Luongo trade with Philly for a D-man, I would be alot more comfortable with Schenn as the return. i think he could have a breakout year now that he's out of Toronto.

Then we could do:

Edler
Raymond

for

Benn

Luongo
Schroeder

for

L.Schenn
Couturier

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Benn Kesler Booth
Higgins Couturier Kassian
Lapierre Malhotra Hansen

Hamhuis Bieksa
Garrison Schenn
Ballard Tanev

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#32 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:19 AM

(this is a baseless speculation rumour deal, but...) I read it as two separate deals. The Edler/Benn deal makes more sense if Lu goes to TO as opposed to Philly. Gardiner takes Edler's spot, plus Kadri.

Burke and now Nonis both said they are absolutely not trading any of their good young players, that includes Gardiner

#33 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:20 AM

As BS as all this BS is....

I would trade any single player on this team outside of the Twins for Benn. This guy is gonna be something awesome.

Edited by Raoul Duke, 11 January 2013 - 03:20 AM.

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#34 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

Ah so it all makes sense now..

Luongo to Toronto for Frattin + Bozak + 1st
Edler and Raymond to Dallas for Benn
Malhotra to Philly for Grossman

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Benn
Higgins - Bozak - Hansen
Frattin - Lappiere - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Grossman - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev

That top 9 forwards is probably the best in the leauge. Screw defence, we'll out score our problems!

:bigblush:

Ah its great to dream eh.

#35 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

^^ I would put Benn on 1st line with Twins after Kesler returns. Until then Benn would be 2nd line C.

Edited by WHL rocks, 11 January 2013 - 03:32 AM.

#36 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:15 AM

I like to enlighten this thread by making my own rumor. What will happen is that I will post a potential trade that it will be shockingly genius that scums will run to Gillis and report this rumor to him, and he will mind blow and the deal will be created, thus it will be factual making this rumor legit and validates my credibility.

Edler to St.Louis for Tarasenko, Steen and Roman Polak.
Luongo and PK Subban to Edmonton in a three way trade that sends Yakupov, Pitlick to Montreal and Ladislav Smid, Magnus ParJarvi-Svensson and 1st Rounder from the Habs. With the 1st Rounder from the Habs, I will trade it and Connauton to Dallas for Jamie Benn. Then i will use a conditional draft choice to acquire Wade Redden and a 1st round draft pick from the Rangers, that also agree to take half of his salary. While, you were reading this, I have created a time machine to take us back to the time when players made 400k and it was a big deal. Assembling the greatest team in history.

The End.

#37 Systemaddict

Systemaddict

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:08 AM

While Benn would be nice to have, especially since he's from Victoria -- I think this is pure dreaming/BS. Dallas and Vancouver don't exactly have a peachy relationship at the top, and while you'd hope the owners would allow their GMs to do what they need to if it makes their teams better -- I still don't think Tom Gaglardi wants any part of helping Aquilini or his club after their legal battle a few years back.

#38 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:16 AM

Krufrank for samjam

get r done MG

#39 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

No team is going to want to trade for Edler without seeing how he is recovering from his surgery unless they trade for him at a major discount.

Benn = Edler, 1st, Gaunce minimum

Quit the stupid almost every team in the league would covet Edler, he hasnt come close to his potential yet.

#40 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

9^(*@&@($ If we get Benn I'll go nuts! One of my favourite players in the league and a local Victoria boy! Also I think he would be a PERFECT winger for the Sedins', he has great size, soft hands, and a rocket of a shot. And he's only 23! If theres anyone who I woud accept in a trade with Edler leaving it would be Benn.
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#41 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

As much as I would love to trade for Benn, its just not going to happen. We have been successfully trolled into even thinking about this. Probably more junk rumors to come today. Good thing the trade gates open tomorrow to put this to rest. Ok, since I've been trolled... in terms of fair value...
Kesler for Benn or
Edler + Connauton + pick for Benn

#42 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,058 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

Ya I guess Ballard and Grossman split time as 4D depending on who the competition is and what kind of lineup is needed.

I don't think there is a big point in worrying about Edler leaving, Dallas wouldn't trade Benn for a pending UFA anyways.

Grossman would be coming in a potential Luongo trade. Not Edler trade.

You never usually get something back without giving something in return. What is Van's biggest need and where does their strength lie? IMHO Van's 2nd line has been their downfall for 3 seasons come playoffs. They made a move for Booth which hasn't paid off in full yet. Talk of Kassian moving to the Twins and Burrows down to possibly the 2nd might solve the problem. Benn would look awful good on the 2nd.

How do the Canuck's view Edler? His offensive production lost means a lot with only Ballard and possibly K-Conn in the future to replace it. The Canuck CUP timeline doesn't really support that drastic a move unless MG has something else cooking in a possible Lu trade. All this doesnot give much time to adjust over 48 games.

#43 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,547 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Interesting in that an Edler/Benn collision impacted both careers a bit. Edler's had a bad back since and Benn sat out time too.

Not gonna happen, but i'd consider the move. Dallas won't though.
Posted Image

#44 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Burke and now Nonis both said they are absolutely not trading any of their good young players, that includes Gardiner

Did he not say that about Schenn too?
I played for the Leafs for three years, Im used to the booing so it wont affect me - Kyle Wellwood

#45 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,345 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Yes I did. And I responded by saying Grossman is not a top 4.

And again I said, if Garrison shows that last season was just a blip, then we're going to be in big trouble trying to create offense from the back end.

That's my issue with people thinking we can trade Edler and have Garrison score 16 goals again. Well, actually, not completely that since I feel Garrison may not be dynamic enough on his own to create offence to the scale we'd want, but benefits from playing with an offensive-minded defenceman. Who do we have left that fits that bill? Edler.

Garrison could do well enough getting feeds from the Sedins and maybe Bieksa, and whatever he does do offensively is a bonus since he'll most certainly be a very difficult guy to play against in his own zone, but it's probably not a good idea to move a 50 point D-man on the hopes that everyone else can increase their production. We did that already moving Ehrhoff, and we can't just keep expecting everyone else to fill the void without at some point bringing back a more pure offensive D-man.

Had we gotten Schultz, I could see it better, but even if it would have left us with less experience and more uncertainty (one D-man who hadn't played an NHL game yet and another coming into a new system after a few years of very good defence but only one of significant offence). Maybe if a deal for Gardiner comes through, as someone mentioned, but that's unlikely too so we'd have to look for someone else to fill Edler's role - Connauton isn't at that point yet certainly.

It would be nice to get Benn, but the rumour is bogus and I just don't see Dallas moving him.

Edited by elvis15, 11 January 2013 - 09:58 AM.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#46 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,345 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Not that I know of, unless it was in response to a specific deal or team. Heck, it was rumoured Burke was offering Schenn straight up for Luongo before he traded him to Philly for JVR.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#47 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Not that I know of, unless it was in response to a specific deal or team. Heck, it was rumoured Burke was offering Schenn straight up for Luongo before he traded him to Philly for JVR.

I think he means when Burke said he wouldn't trade Schenn for 10 first round picks.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#48 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

I think he means when Burke said he wouldn't trade Schenn for 10 first round picks.

Yup, that was what I was getting at, thanks

Likely Boston was pretty disappointed when they heard that too....

Edited by InTheCrease, 11 January 2013 - 10:26 AM.

I played for the Leafs for three years, Im used to the booing so it wont affect me - Kyle Wellwood

#49 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Dallas is going to do everything in their power to keep Benn, and it we're going to try and hold on to Edler. With Kesler out we're going to need more offense from the back end, and Edler is coming off his best offensive season. Losing both Salo and Edler without bringing in an adequate replacement D would be devastating to this team.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#50 KelownaCanucksFan

KelownaCanucksFan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

I don't believe this is a legit source but still fun to speculate. I think it would take elder and a first round pick to pry Benn from Dallas, having watched him with the rockets I would absolutely love to have him with the Sedin's. He will get even better, he is a gifted scorer and a hard working player, he also doesn't mind dropping the gloves if he has to, and will not allowed the Sedin's to be run and bullied. From what I know he was also a great teammate.

Posted Image
Thanks to GoaltenderInterference for the sig!

#51 I Got A Boy

I Got A Boy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

edler's one of da best d-man in vancity idk how van even thinks about this trade

van has enough offense too benn's a talented player but he's not really needed in our team

#52 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,417 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Lacking credible source
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.