The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VAN-PHILLY blockbuster (it's time)

To Van: Couturier, Simmonds, Coburn, 1st 2014(if Edler signs), Bryzgalov

To Philly: Luongo, Edler, Raymond, Sauve, 2nd rounder

Essentially Canucks clean up here because we have to pay for their mistake in the summer(buyout Bryz).

-we'd be set for a generation, competitive 5~10 yrs, at least.

-team would be tougher, built for PO's. Especially at D.

-Simmonds is under 2 mill cap. Next yr his 6 yr/4 mill deal kicks in. We'd have to move Booth/Ballard for cap space, by next season.

-There'd be no need to rush Kesler.

Why Philly might consider?

-Bryz pressers are likely pushing them to the edge.

-Net yr's cap will be a b!tch(think Pronger's cap hit is incl)

**note** Switch the Schenn bros for Couturier & Coburn, is doable.

An expensive notion, but the Aquilini's could end up with a potential dynasty.

If Philly wants to get rid of Bryz, why don't they just trade him to the Islanders for DiPietro+? Maybe they get another young player (DeHaan or Wishart may be enough, or more) and they get DiPietro back as a buyout option themselves since they're a financially rich franchise. The bonus of DiPietro's contract versus Bryz's? He has a matching salary and cap hit, so there's no penalty if he retires early for the cap hit being less than the actual salary paid in a given year.

I realize that doesn't fix their goaltending (would be quite lucky to have DiPietro actually work out) but then they could make a trade for someone like Luongo without having to give up extra just to get him and have us take Bryz's contract back. That's why all these deals for us being the saviour of some team by taking back their bad contracts (on players we don't want), because all those teams would have other options where they don't have to give up players they don't want to just to get rid of the ones they don't.

I don't think Philly would do it. This doesn't really address their problem on defence. They would probably want Ballard or even Tanev involved (or to have Coburn removed completely), which would leave our defense as:

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Coburn

Tanev/Ballard Alberts

Connauton

Definitely not a strong point...

We might be able to flip Bryz to a team like TO for a bottom pairing guy like Komisarek.

To Van: Couturier, Simmonds, Coburn, 1st 2014(if Edler signs), Bryzgalov

To Philly: Luongo, Edler, Raymond, Sauve, 2nd rounder

Essentially Canucks clean up here because we have to pay for their mistake in the summer(buyout Bryz).

-we'd be set for a generation, competitive 5~10 yrs, at least.

-team would be tougher, built for PO's. Especially at D.

-Simmonds is under 2 mill cap. Next yr his 6 yr/4 mill deal kicks in. We'd have to move Booth/Ballard for cap space, by next season.

-There'd be no need to rush Kesler.

Why Philly might consider?

-Bryz pressers are likely pushing them to the edge.

-Net yr's cap will be a b!tch(think Pronger's cap hit is incl)

**note** Switch the Schenn bros for Couturier & Coburn, is doable.

An expensive notion, but the Aquilini's could end up with a potential dynasty.

I Philly wants to get rid of Bryz, why don't they just trade him to the Islanders for DiPietro+? Maybe they get another young player (DeHaan or Wishart may be enough, or more) and they get DiPietro back as a buyout option themselves since they're a financially rich franchise. The bonus of DiPietro's contract versus Bryz's? He has a matching salary and cap hit, so there's no penalty if he retires early for the cap hit being less than the actual salary paid in a given year.

I realize that doesn't fix their goaltending (would be quite lucky to have DiPietro actually work out) but then they could make a trade for someone like Luongo without having to give up extra just to get him and have us take Bryz's contract back. That's why all these deals for us being the saviour of some team by taking back their bad contracts (on players we don't want), because all those teams would have other options where they don't have to give up players they don't want to just to get rid of the ones they don't.

Philly wouldn't do it. Both Couturier and Simmonds are highly coveted by the Flyers. Also, Philly is a very rich franchise too who over the years have shown that they do not hesitate. If Bryz does not bounce back they will simply buy him out and trade less than this proposal for another goalie.

If Philly can fix their D Bryzgalov will also be much better. Mark my words.

I'd do it, I would even keep Bryz this year to backup schnieds and buy him out in the summer. Although there is probably zero chance of this specific trade actually happening I can see the framework here for something based on this propsal.

If Edler and Gillis can't come to terms a 3-way with another team makes more sense IMO. Something like:

Luongo to TO for Gardiner+Reimer

and

Edler to Phi for Courtourier + ?

Those trades would require a little evening out, but it seems like an easier path to me.

Admittedly, this would be a dream-trade for us-so yeah, it's unlikely. This buyout-thing is a two-shot, likely, one-time only opportunity or teams who can take advantage. With the huge profit the Aquilini's have already realized in the Canucks, they may be willing to invest 25-30 mill(over 6 or 7 yrs), to watch this club's value keep skyrocketing. Question is, if 25 mill could get your club depth in size/youth, and/or excellence in prospects, do you do it? If you're a struggling smaller US market, I'd say very unlikely. But for Cdn markets, especially those trending upwards(Van/Ott), it's wise leveraging of your strong market.

Philly's problem snowballs next year. Because of the decreasing cap, & Pronger's 5 mill on the books. I'd speculate they may even have to buy out Briere, or trade him for avg picks. They must remember how imposing Luongo was on the Cats, even with a threadbare defense. They see his pr & leadership skills, & how it contrasts with their current-maniac in the crease.

They need youth(entry contracts), & to balance out their roster. Similar to TBay of recent years, a few stars, but lotsa holes-hit & miss, may get hot, or entirely crash, & miss po's. They'll need a few young guys to develop quicky to their full projections.

I say they might look at this, based on their upcoming problems, (contemplated over a thermos of lemon tea). Heck, throw Schroeder into our package!(instead of our pick). Luongo, Edler, Raymond, Sauve, Shreds...This would all become cheaper going forward(so they can keep SOME current stars, Giroux, Harts, Voracek, et al); cheaper for this set of youth, than the haul they send west.

Taking Bryzgalov you're helping their cause which would make this trade look better to them in their eyes. we're not taking him because we think he's good and we need him. We'll just play him for the season when Schneider needs rest and if he does poorly we can buy him out. Taking Bryzgalov just makes it look better for them and take off some cap for them too, it's not too big of a deal because we can buy out next season.

Archived