37 replies to this topic

#1 Toxic

Toxic

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Doug MacLean on Hockeycentral today said he got a call from Dave Nonis back when Nonis took over the GM role with the Canucks and Dave offered Schneider straight up for Brule.

How different would our organization look of that had happened eh?

(Dave Chappelle)You know why my show is good? Because the network officials say you're not smart enough to get what I'm doing, and every day I fight for you. I tell them how smart you are. Turns out, I was wrong. You people are stupid.

#2 I Got A Boy

I Got A Boy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

POPULAR

thats why nonis is no longer our gm

#3 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,269 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Scary thought.
Posted Image

#4 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hence why the Leafs are no better off with him as GM.

#5 I Got A Boy

I Got A Boy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hence why the Leafs are no better off with him as GM.

hope he can pull off a horrible trade that brings us tons of assets for the nucks

#6 Black Mountain

Black Mountain

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

I don't know who is dumber Nonis for making the call or Maclean for saying no
Posted Image

#7 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

thats why nonis is no longer our gm

And why MacLean isn't a GM at all.
Posted Image

#8 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Doug MacLean on Hockeycentral today said he got a call from Dave Nonis back when Nonis took over the GM role with the Canucks and Dave offered Schneider straight up for Brule.

Dodged a bullet on that one. However, with that said Brule may have developed differently in Vancouver's system. In many ways Brule is a victim of being the wrong type of player in the wrong organization. I tought Edmonton might be the right place but there was just too much youth there for a reclamation project like himself.
Posted Image

#9 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

And why MacLean isn't a GM at all.

He could be had that trade went through

#10 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Hindsight guys, Brule was supposed to be huge and may very well have been a star if he hadn't been developed by Columbus. At the time that it would have happened you all would have been peeing yourselves with excitement.

#11 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

It should also be noted, Schneider would not have had all this time for development in Manitoba and back-up.
Posted Image

#12 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Brule probably would of developed better in Vancouver versus Columbus, the same could not be said for Schneider
Posted Image

#13 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Dave Nonis lowballed Doug McLean. The Canucks would have run away with this trade.

Posted Image

#14 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

POPULAR

if this was at all around the time when we had gotten luongo, this deal makes total sense.

1. you are about to trade/have traded for an elite goaltender in roberto who will be the face of the franchise.
2. you have a spare rather blue chip goalie in schneider in the minors
3. you need forwards - please remember, at the time Brule was highly sought after/top prospect that was supposed to become a superstar

see: http://forecaster.th...?CBJ&DraftID=10

heinsight is 20/20. cbj rushed his development (see turris in phx).

edit: i cant believe the ignorance by some on this board is unbelievable. please do research or go back to 2005 when brule was drafted. there was even talk of him going 2nd overall. I also remember a lot of people wanting Nonis to trade down for Brule.

Edited by canucks.bradley, 11 January 2013 - 12:21 PM.

Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#15 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,852 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Doug said Dave didn't actually offer it. They were just talking, so no official offer was made.
Posted Image

#16 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

I didn't see the show, did MacLean say at all why he passed up on the deal?
Posted Image

#17 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

I didn't see the show, did MacLean say at all why he passed up on the deal?

I don't think we need MacLean to tell us why? :huh:

It was a clear lowball from Nonis. Brule was one of the top-rated prospects at the time and Schneider was a guy who played high school hockey in his draft year.

Posted Image

#18 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

I don't think we need MacLean to tell us why? :huh:

It was a clear lowball from Nonis. Brule was one of the top-rated prospects at the time and Schneider was a guy who played high school hockey in his draft year.

Fair enough, but what was his point for bringing it up then? Just to show a deal that looked lopsided one way which in hindsight looks like it would have been lopsided the other way? Or to demonstrate that he had GM to GM dealings with Nonis back in the day?
Posted Image

#19 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,520 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Wow what a difference.
Posted Image

#20 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Is that sweet offer still on the table? We could make that trade and maybe convice Fabian Brunnstrom to sign with us = Cup!
Posted Image

#21 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

We had Luongo, this offer isn't crazy at all. Schneids only starting really kicking ass in the NHL last season.

#22 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,933 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

POPULAR

Hindsight. For those calling out Nonis, you guys are idiots. Our core is pretty much comprised of Draft picks or signings he made to keep the team together, and of course the Luongo trade.

Schneider was looking like a bust in his first few years, and not only that, people in Vancouver LOVED Gilbert Brule and was regarded as one of the top junior players.

Brule was rushed into the NHL too quickly, and unfortunately suffered an injury right off the bat which hindered his development.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#23 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,037 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Brule probably would of developed better in Vancouver versus Columbus, the same could not be said for Schneider

This. Schneider would have been rushed in CBJ with them needing a goalie and he probably wouldn't be where he is today development wise. We would have been able to let Brule sit at least one more year to develop and work on adapting his game to be ready for NHL'ers. He couldn't get away with his tenacious style, throwing his body around, against players older and larger than him, which really hindered him in the NHL.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#24 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

People are saying this would have been terrible, but fail to recognize WHY Schneider turned out the way he did and Brule the way he did.

Doug MacLean ruined Brule's career by throwing him to the wolves as an 18 year old. While Schneider developed properly in the minors for 5 years and then as a backup under Luongo for 2 years.

If Schneider ended up in CBJ it's likely that Schneider would have been a bust because he would have been rushed and Brule a star because he would have been developed properly like Kesler, Burrow, Edler, Schneider etc etc...;.;

#25 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hindsight. For those calling out Nonis, you guys are idiots. Our core is pretty much comprised of Draft picks or signings he made to keep the team together, and of course the Luongo trade.

Schneider was looking like a bust in his first few years, and not only that, people in Vancouver LOVED Gilbert Brule and was regarded as one of the top junior players.

Brule was rushed into the NHL too quickly, and unfortunately suffered an injury right off the bat which hindered his development.

Excellent post. Dave Nonis saved this franchise - and lost his job - by not buckling under the pressure of the Aquilini's to acquire Brad Richards and make a run for the playoffs in 2007-08. That would've reportedly cost us Kesler, Edler, and Schneider.

Also correcr about Brule/Schneider - amazing what the role of luck plays in sports/life. Hard to think that Columbus is just so woeful at choosing their players; there's gotta be something inherent in that system that just stunts development. Brule was a high probability pick. Filatov's talent is incredible - another guy that was thought-of as high probability. Derick Brassard. Steve Mason. All of these disappointing young players makes me think that there's a systemic issue.

Brule's career trajectory probably would be far different today had he been drafted by the Canucks.

#26 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Doug MacLean ruined Brule's career by throwing him to the wolves as an 18 year old. While Schneider developed properly in the minors for 5 years and then as a backup under Luongo for 2 years.

Easy, guy. He's 26 years old. Coming off a respectable 33-game showing in Phoenix (14 points, +7) and two years removed from scoring 17 goals and 37 points in 65 games as an Oiler.

IMO, he's still an NHL player with a decent amount of upside potential. Wonder where he'll end up.

Edited by King of the ES, 11 January 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#27 thad

thad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

that woulda sucked lol... understandable move though, we had luongo in his prime. would have made sense to flip the kid for a young forward prospect

#28 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Easy, guy. He's 26 years old. Coming off a respectable 33-game showing in Phoenix (14 points, +7) and two years removed from scoring 17 goals and 37 points in 65 games as an Oiler.

IMO, he's still an NHL player with a decent amount of upside potential. Wonder where he'll end up.

Sure those are respectable numbers, but not exactly what you're expecting from a 6th overall pick

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#29 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hindsight.

Posted Image

#30 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,269 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

hope he can pull off a horrible trade that brings us tons of assets for the nucks

The Luongo trade was very good for us. He is not that stupid.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.