The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider for Brule almost happened back in 2005

Z.Kassian9

This isn't saying much. I remember when Schneider was just coming up, people were begging to trade Schneider for whatever they could because Schneider was spending too much time developing and being unproven. Several of guys were willing to deal him for late round draft picks.

Back then, It would actually made a lot of sense because Luongo was just acquired, and we expected him to be a Canuck for the rest of his career. While Naslund and Bertuzzi, basically the Canucks Offense were heading out of town.

If Schneider had never come up, I don't think fans would mind keeping Luongo.

He has built and developed this team around central ideals while keeping a core together with hometown discounts, rather than letting them walk away for higher salaries on the FA market. Sedins

He has bolstered the team with FA signings (at reasonable prices) to address team needs. Think Hamhuis, Ehrhoff, Garrison, etc.

Signed players like Higgins, Lapierre, Wellwood whos careers were seemingly in free fall and put them in a system where they have flourished.

Contributed majorly to the depth of the organization, particularly on defense.

Allocated money to be put into off ice programs like sleep therapy, sports psychologists, etc in order to try and make the players more focused, rested between games.

Taken this team from a playoff contender to a cup contender, and brought an era of stability to the franchise.

Simply put, Gillis is one of the most successful GMs we have ever had. However, I will admit his one weakness is the draft.

I just cannot believe anyone would think Nonis was a better GM for the Canucks than Gillis. Nonis was awful - his idea of depth players were Byron Ritchie, Tommi Santala and Brad Isbister...

Archived