The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(proposal) Idea to increase Luongo's trade value and get a better return

i have an idea, and im not sure if it has been mentioned here im not going to look through the hundreds of pages to find out so bare with me.

is this possible? Vancouver keep Luongo until the buyout period, then at the draft Van trades lets say Hansen and a 3rd to FLA for Bjustad, Versteeg and a 1st (dont criticize me on the trade value i just made it up its not a real trade proposal) on the condition that Van buys out Luongos contract so he can sign in FLA. Luongo then signs in Fla (because thats where he would really want to go) on their own terms and they dont have to take on that huge contract, it would be a contract that is more suited to their own situation(maybe sign Lu to 5 years at 5mill cap hit?). this would bring Lus trade value WAY up towards what it should be at and makes him a lot easier to move.

so essentially the trade would be Hansen, a 3rd and Luongo(on a better contract) for Bjustad, Versteeg and a 1st.

If you feel this is a possibility and have a good proposal idea please feel free to make your own trade idea.

PS. im one of the people who dont want to trade Luongo but i think if this makes him happy van should do it.

Also dont take this and make it into a rumor because its just my idea. its not official in any way. if this idea does become an "official rumor" please quote this and kill that rumor. we dont need any more fan idea becoming rumors with no basis.

Except Lu can be traded.

Regardless, I go back to my original objection. You can't trade someone you've bought out. Once you have bought them out, they are free to sign with anyone they want to and are under no obligation to sign with the team you are planning on them signing with no matter how much of a slam dunk it appears to be.

It just doesn't work.

Except Lu can be traded.

Regardless, I go back to my original objection. You can't trade someone you've bought out. Once you have bought them out, they are free to sign with anyone they want to and are under no obligation to sign with the team you are planning on them signing with no matter how much of a slam dunk it appears to be.

It just doesn't work.

I'm sure Luongos word on this would be enough in his situation but the aqullinis would want huberdeau and a first round pick for each 10 million dollars they have to fork out.

Your essentially trading a world class goalie on the best contract in the league.

Archived